1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets try to sign Bruce Brown or Nic Claxton this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, May 25, 2022.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

C'mon man! That's because we don't talk about Bruno.

Everybody knows that. o_O

D-rock likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, I would be viewing the signings of either Claxton or Brown as asset collection. If Claxton continues to improve and shows he's deserving of the long term starting center role or the perfect fit next to Paolo (still assuming that's who we get), then great, keep him. But Brown I'd be signing with the goal of A.) hurting the Nets and strengthening our future picks from them and B.) trading later for another asset. I'd love a first round pick but I wouldn't mind sending him to a contender for a couple seconds either. You hurt the Nets and gain a few second rounders? That's a hell of a lot better than signing a guy like Daniel Theis, right?

To me, you should be looking to use your full MLE pretty much every year. The key is acquiring value contracts that can be flipped for future picks if needed. I know this isn't 2k, but when so many teams have no way to add decent players via free agency or the draft (The Lakers and the Nets being the prime examples of this), then there should always be a buyer, again, assuming the guy you pay can be a contributor to a winning team.

Failing to use your free agency money means you're limiting your avenues to improve. Now, of course, if you sign a guy and they have a serious injury or otherwise hurt their stock, yeah, it can hurt you. But I think a good GM ought to be able to find ways to bring in flippable assets. And Stone has done a relatively good job of that by bringing in guys like Tate and Wood (Theis was a fail, but he still managed to unload him without taking back long term salary).

Otherwise I agree. I'd be looking to move Gordon, Wood, Tate and, if there is a God, Wall. And I would only add salary that I thought I could either a.) flip for more assets or b.) dump at no cost in a worst case scenario.

don grahamleone and xaos like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah 2024 is a big year and forced us into a rebuild the way we have been rebuilding, given the alternatives. But by 2024 we have accumulated 2-3 top 5 picks (Green/2022 #3/2023) and I think there's a chance we will have enough to build off of by then. I am not saying we will be competing for a ring or anything, but it's possible we are fighting for a playoff spot by 2024 with a few players worth building around. Even if we finish 11th, I think we will have players worth building around. I seriously doubt we are competing for anything this year and may even strategically increase our odds for Scoot or Victor by selling off Wood/Gordon/Tate and giving the keys to our young guys.

That's what I mean by building through the draft. The 2024-2026 rights to OKC just decreases our margin of error. Somewhere between 2024-2026 the Nets picks might be worth significant value, but I wouldn't build any future plans around that happening even if it looks likely.

Williamson likes this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t mind taking salary past next year, so long as it doesn’t impact our cap in summer 2024. Give a 2+1 type deal and see if it works out.

I’d probably make a play for Mo Bomba if Orlando takes Chet.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Williamson

I agree. Depending on what we do in free agency, it's possible we could be looking at a play in spot by 2024. And I can't wait. I have actually enjoyed this rebuild process but it'd be nice to watch my team win some games again too. Man, I really hope we can land Wemby or Scoot in 2023. That would wrap up this tanking nicely.

xaos likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

Heck yeah

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think they are fine role players but my point was that James Harden, as he has done with role players in Houston, makes Brown and Claxton seem better/more productive than they really are or would be otherwise.

D-rock likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Bruce Brown before the James Harden trade:
    6.0 ppg , 4.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1 steal, 0.5 blocks, .477 FG, .297 3pt
    After:
    13.9 ppg, 5.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.1 blocks, .532 FG,, .474 3 pt

I'm not sure, based on these numbers.... if what you're saying is true. Bruce makes Bruce look like a better player.

Nic Claxton went up in FGA and points with Harden last year but not by much. His shooting percentage went up when he left though (from 64 percent to 73 percent). Again, I don't think the data backs you up. Nic can play, Harden used his skills well, but those skills didn't disappear because of James Harden's passing or something.

Williamson has a point. DaDakota has a point in his Durant trade thread. The only thing I see missing is the proof that we're better by getting their players, but both DD and W-son make the point that these are tradable assets if those players want out. Both these men have me laughing at the irony of it all. This is hilarious.

Don't **** with Houston. Cuz that's the bottom line like Stone Cold Rafael said so.

Williamson likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fun fact, Bruce Brown is younger (and IMO, better) than Jae'sean Tate.

xaos likes this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

Brown is a hard no for me. He's going to get paid more than he's worth. He's basically Tate. He's a good defender but not a good shooter. Last year was the first time he ever shot over 35% from 3 and he's not a volume guy so it seems like a fluke. Most years he's shooting in the upper 20s...

Claxton is a useful player but the Nets are likely to pay to retain him since they don't have many young pieces and can go over cap to sign him.

If the tax gets too high for them, they could easily rebuild and unload Durant, Kyrie, etc.

The risk is if you have to pay too much for Claxton it could take you out of max cap space in a year. He's not worth doing that over in my opinion.

If he could be had for mle i would do it but i suspect he's getting significantly more...

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe...but how much of that is just him being on a team with more talented players and being able to just focus on being role player.

I think Tate gets out of his comfort zone a lot because we're not good enough to have a set hierarchy.

12. Williamson

They can't pay Claxton (or anyone) over 10.35 million. The MLE is all we have to offer. That seems to be around the price the league thinks Claxton is worth. If the front office thinks that's an overpay and they wouldn't be able to unload him at that price, then yeah, I'd agree, you don't offer him that. But I think what the Nets are hoping will happen is nobody will make him an offer and they'll be able to sign him at a reduced price. I'd love to force them into matching the most we can offer and further complicating their finances and ability to bring in talent. I'd hate to see them get him at a discount.

And on Brown, I'm not remotely interested in having him on this team. Hell, I don't even want Tate anymore because I think it's just too big of a liability to have a small forward who can't shoot. But if other teams value him as a roleplayer that can contribute in the playoffs, I'd strongly consider signing him to further hurt the depth of the Nets and see if we can't improve our draft pick. They are so thin that losing even Bruce Brown is a huge loss.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden made a HUGE difference. Which is par for course with Harden, not unusual at all.

Bruce Brown before the James Harden trade:
    6.0 ppg , 4.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1 steal, 0.5 blocks, .477 FG, .297 3pt

After:
    13.9 ppg, 5.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.1 blocks, .532 FG,, .474 3 pt

I would not target Brown, no Harden on this team.

14. xaos

xaos Member

15. xaos

xaos Member

16. xaos

xaos Member

Would've been a nice pickup that can grow with the team

17. Williamson

Look, not to toot my own horn but let's look at the facts:

1. I was as right as I could be in my assessment of the Westbrook trade as I pointed out in the necrobumped thread tonight.
    2. I was right that we should have tried to steal Claxton from the Nets as demonstrated in this necrobumped thread tonight.
    3. I am right that Josh Christopher is the best player in the league.

Nobody should ever argue with me about anything and the Rockets should hire me to be the GM.

harold bingo, xaos and comrade like this.
  18. Williamson