1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets try to sign Bruce Brown or Nic Claxton this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, May 25, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Can't say I agree at all. Isn't their cap space situation pretty much locked up for a while even without Irving? No washed up player is saving their future

Theres a real possibility of imploding. Durant didn't go over there to be a top 8 team. He went there to win rings.

Irving and Ben are nutjobs and Durant will be 34 at the beginning of next season. With rumors of Nets not wanting to give Irving a long term deal it will get real interesting to see what new thing he decides to use as a way to not play games for them next year. If they lose Irving and Claxton it'll be hard not to see Durant asking to be traded. We can be a small influence of behaviors there. Even getting Claxton to sign for a little more and having Nets match (likely) makes it a little more complicated there

Williamson likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not mind. You can get a Claxton type player with a late first or an early second.

I am sure someone in the FO could string a deal to get more picks.

It is not that hard.

We are far away from any kind of winning mode but as said before, you can have your own plans.

I would welcome him if he is a Rocket but IMO not really a must.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But the Nets do. And, again, we could always trade him for another pick to a contender who needs depth. Would you rather we sign another Daniel Theis? =)

xaos likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I remember when the James Harden happened and there were multiple post here demanding why we didn’t get at least one of Brown or Claxton back in the trade.

Totally ignoring the fact that it was because of Harden that Brown and Claxton were preforming at such a high level. Harden has routinely made lesser players into very serviceable role players.

I wouldn’t sign either but hopefully some other team does and weakens the Nets.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

So are they scrubs or serviceable role players lol I'm a little confused by your post

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Not in love with either player. Claxton isn’t bad; he’s a good defender. but I don’t like 6’11” guys who aren’t good rebounders. Given the money he’ll make I’d be on the fence. I think I’d prefer Mitchell Robinson if we are going after a free agent big, but Claxton is absolutely worth considering.

One thing folks always seem to forget….it takes bigs longer to develop. You usually don’t even know who a big is until yr 3 or 4.

8. Williamson

I'm not in love with either player either. I would love to help nudge the Nets into implosion though, or, failing that, weaken them and strengthen the picks we own.

Aruba77 and xaos like this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No thanks as personally I want to keep the cap clear for 2023.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No chance !! Y

11. xaos

xaos Member

Which free agents would you pursue in 2023?

12. Williamson

As stated previously, if Stone can unload Daniel Theis at the deadline without taking back any guaranteed salary, I am completely unconcerned about his ability to do the same with Claxton or Brown should he need to.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the cupboard is pretty bare in 2023; for some reason I was under a different impression. There are some RFA’s but other than Jokic, not a lot of star power UFA’s.

xaos likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Claxton is better than Theis, even though he's not a floor spacer. It's probably a moot point. Claxton isn't worth more than the MLE, and this prevents us from making further movements this season. I had forgotten about that. Flexibility is key for us.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We have a logjam of players, so my primary opposition is playing time / roster flexibility / we need to move some folks

Aruba77 likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Yup agreed

I also agree that we should remain flexible and not get desperate when signing players, but signing a player like Nic does not limit us in any way really. I'm also assuming Gordon and Wood are as good as gone.

I think the main objective if we signed Claxton would be to deplete the Nets of another quality player. Claxton is probably worth more to the Nets than he is to us, but if we had him on our team he'd be a welcomed project

Williamson likes this.
  17. Williamson

All of the guys I see that are 2023 free agents that I'd be interested in are restricted free agents. The good vets are mostly all too old for our timeline, and I realize Chris Paul has shown us a blueprint for adding a superstar vet to a roster of young guys, but, short of Lebron James, I don't see a CP3 on that list. And Lebron ain't coming.

2024 has a much more interesting free agent class with KAT, Jaylen Brown, Jamal Murray, Damontis Sabonis, Devin Booker, Dejounte Murray currently slated to be free agents. I'm sure a lot of those guys will sign extensions before then though.

xaos likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

Yup, it's actually a great time to build through the draft to accumulate high end talent instead of through free agency. Hopefully we hit in this year's draft and next so our attention shifts to filling out our roster instead of looking to sign or trade for the best available.

19. Williamson

Yeah. Our 2024 pick will be going to OKC though. So we really need the Nets to collapse by then.

xaos likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

If I am the Rockets I am not signing anyone at this point.

I am actively trying to move Gordon and Tate and Wood for value.

The minutes are going to Green, Christopher, Martin, Sengun, Porter, Nix and Garuba.... plus the #3 and #17 pick.

That is 9 players right there.......

Green, Porter, Sengun, Martin and the #3 and possibly #17 picks all need to get 30 minutes a game.

Tate is a nice player but he is best on a contender, and his deal will be up soon.... get a future asset for him or use him to trade up in the draft from #17.... get future assets for Wood and Gordon. I would even take on money in a move if I get a good asset in return.

Everyone is looking forward to the Rockets having cap space, but no one good will want to come here until we win.... so we will either end up over spending or not needing it.

Deuce, cmoak1982 and jcmoon like this.