1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Guardians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 23, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Oh the stories I could tell from that time period...

My brother worked at the "other" company that had similar shenanigans. His boss received a longer sentence initially than Skilling. It was reduced on appeal.

My brother, the FBI, a Wendy's restaurant, maybe a 3.5 inch disk..... oh the memories

The prosecution tried to hang my friend's father who did work for Enron. They kept going after him and the Supreme Court held it was double jeopardy. He was eventually acquitted on all charges.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not saying he is auditioning for the Astros gig, but maybe a national gig where he does not have to travel so much.

I remember him filling in, but for some reason he just sounded more natural last night, more comfortable.

3. what

what Member

That’s the point, Bregman is about to get 25 mil a year, I can guarantee you that that played into why they let the other’s walk.
    Who would you rather have right now: a Peña Correa middle infield or Bregman?

Altuve isn’t going to last forever and he is already showing lapses in defense.
    And then you have dumbass Bregman who is acting like it is some kinda abnormal thing that he is struggling. Dude does it literally every year for the last 3 years, or the years that the astros weren’t cheating.
    The guy should have done been regulated.
    And for that matter Kyle Tucker, although markedly better player than Bregman, isn’t the big superstar that people thought he was.
    He has had one decent year at the bat.

the only reason the astros keep playing well is because of altuve, Brantley and Yuri Gurriel. And the fact that the astros have drafted guys like Peña and Yordan Álvarez.

the astros could put a rookie in Bregman’s spot and it would not matter because Bregman is such a nonfactor and he has been for the last 3 years.

#223 what, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  4. what

what Member

iPhone switched it on me without me knowing it.
    I am new to iPhone so it thinks I want Bergman instead of Bregman.

5. Buck Turgidson

Sean Bergman was who Chris Holt dreamed of being

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Dave Bergman - former Astros legend

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This has apparently become the Astros hangout thread

The Beard likes this.
  8. bobrek

Wait... what do the Astros currently do with Altuve (who you claim is part of a trio that is the ONLY reason they are winning - curiously, no pitches on your list) with a middle infield of Correa and Pena? Trade Altuve for Hedges?

Also, I ask again, please explain how Bregman played so well in a contract year when he has NEVER played in a contract year.

The Astros NEVER drafted Alvarez.

Tucker's OPS

2019 - .857
    2020 - .837
    2021 - .917
    2022 - .782

9. Screaming Fist

I think he has improved at the plate and his defense in CF is well above-average. Meyers (if healthy), McCormick, and Siri may each be legit 1.5-2.0+ WAR players over a full season.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Man there is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

Bregman and Correa have identical WAR (0.8) right now, so Pena and Correa vs Pena and Bregman doesn't make a difference, plus it's a weird comparison anyway because Correa and Pena are both shortstops, Bregman is a corner infielder, so I don't know how you are making a comparison on which middle infielder combo we would rather have.

If anything, Altuve's defense has improved since two years ago, do you remember the 2020 ALCS yips? He is going to commit an error here and there, he always has.

Bregman had a monster year in 2019, a non-cheating year. He's been hurt 2020 and 2021, let the guy get healthy and come around.

Tucker has been stellar since 2020, what in the world are you talking about? What do you think he was going to be, prime Ken Griffey Jr.??

Yuli has been sputtering offensively this year, he is not the reason we are playing well this year, and the Astros did not draft Yordan, he was traded here for Josh Fields.

Who in Triple A plays third that could outperform Bregman right now?

HatsForBats, Bregatron and Nook like this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Astros cheat lab has spliced the DNA of Caminiti, Ensberg, and Castilla to be a 20 year old phenom at the league minimum

SuraGotMadHops and Nook like this.
  12. what

what Member

Bregman made a big deal about being underpaid and while he was “underpaid” he was a very good player and as soon as he got paid he went downhill.
    I don’t see a distinction between a “contract” year as you seem to: in fact, the whole idea of a “contract year” player is that of someone who only plays hard when he needs to get a new deal. In my mind that was Bregman as he was beside himself that he was putting up numbers and not getting compensated fairly.

Again, Tucker is a far better player than Bregman, but not a superstar, he is not close to Aaron Judge, for example.

I would also argue that during the title contention years it was the offense and not the defense that was the reason the astros were a contender, but my reference point for my comment was Last Year’s team, and was limited to the offense and not the defense, in general.
    And in that vain: Brantley and Yuri were bargains and way better players than Bregman and of course the heart of this team was and always will be Altuve.
    And yes Correa helped as well, which is another reason why Bregman’s contract is ridiculous.

#232 what, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  13. bobrek

(you forgot the part where he said the Astros drafted Alvarez, but to your defense, there is a lot of fail in his post. :) )

Bregatron and Nook like this.
  14. bobrek

Please cite your source where Bregman complained about being underpaid (hint, don't waste your time, it never happened)

YOU'RE the one who said 'contract year'. I have factually pointed out he never played in a contract year.

Answer my 'what do you currently do with Altuve question'..

When did the Astros draft Alvarez?

Bregatron and Nook like this.
  15. what

what Member

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/03-20-19-houston-astros-alex-bregman-new-contract-2024/

Just days after Astros third baseman Alex Bregman complained about his money for 2019 and just hours after he signed with Adidas, he has almost $100 million reasons to no longer be upset.

16. bobrek

17. what

what Member

the media, about his money for 2019, and since it was hours before he signed a contract it was most likely a bargaining ploy to put it out in the media if the astros didn’t satisfy his demands.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think we need a little context on Bregman complaining about money. He was upset about a week before he got his extension because when he was still under team control the Astros gave him a salary at or near the minimum. He thought after his 2018 season the Astros would be nice to him and give him a million dollars like they did for Correa. However, the reason the Astros gave Correa the million is because he lost out on super 2 by one day. It wasn't just because of Correa's performance. It was to ease tension over the thoughts of service time manipulation.

He wasn't complaining about his 100 million because he had not signed that deal yet.

Nook likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

I did make that point in the 6th paragraph, it was a long reply post by that point so I am not surprised there was some glazing over.

20. bobrek

Ok.. now do these

Explain what they currently do with Altuve in your Correa/Pena scenario. And remember, you said Altuve was one of only 3 players as to why the Astros are winning.

And, when did they draft Alvarez?

And why did you post a 4 year old article about Hedges' value?

Nook likes this.