1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. IVFL

IVFL Member

I would argue that being pro life is the laziest thing someone can be politically. It takes no work, you don't have to interact with the object you are protecting. Its all an idea. It makes you feel like you are doing something when in actuality you are doing absolutely nothing. Other than gleaning feel goods from the idea that you are politically active by saying something, not doing anything but saying something. What is crazy is that this is a huge talking point for many Christians. It allows them to feel like they are being good Christians by protecting this idea of a person while scoring real people. Crazy times.

If you are pro life, lets fix the lives of millions of people that are actually living, rather than focusing that energy on an idea that requires no real work.

RocktheCasbah, ROCKSS and mtbrays like this.
  2. IVFL

IVFL Member

Once again having the strictest gun laws in America is like being the skinniest fat guy. Also, how strict are the gun laws in Texas again? Also, are you for expanding our mental health benefits to American citizens, that would really help with these gun problems, I would bet. Heck why stop there, we could just expand Medicaid and eliminate a lot of these problems with mental and physical health.

Its easy to get into a school because its a public place. There are a lot of doors, and a lot of people going in and out. I mean if you want elementary age kids walking into a highly secured location every time they go to school, cool. I guarantee you that if that were to happen the group of people that like to say, its my right to be here, or I pay taxes therefore I am entitled to this and that would throw a fit. You know, the same people who want lax gun laws. I mean they threw a fit about wearing a mask, you think they are going to get on board with that.

HP3 likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Apparently he didn’t just walk into the school. According to reports he engaged with police prior to but they couldn’t take him down and he managed to get inside. There goes the good guy with a gun is the solution BS.

As for bulletproof glass etc. You really want to pay with your tax dollars to outfit every school like a prison? I hope you like your property taxes doubling. And then once schools become inaccessible this will just happen at other gatherings instead.

DaDakota and IVFL like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right they bought them legally but there was no intervention at that point to see if there had the mental red flags. That's why someone should first be required to get a gun license and go through the process to make sure they don't have those flags before buying that gun.

You have to take the issue on from multiple dimensions. There's no way you can police 100 million adults on their mental state and constantly assess if they are a danger to society. That actually gets into a very scary territory that should alarm libertarians like yourself ;)

Instead, have a process in getting a license that has certain steps and requires actions that would only deter someone who was crazy or criminally minded. If this person knew they first had to go get a license with a psych eval, and have three people who knew him say he can be trusted with a gun, there's a very good chance he doesn't even try to obtain a gun.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have answers here. And honestly I don't think participating in mass shooting threads and discussing mass shootings is much fun, so I hope folks aren't offended if I try to bow out of this thread now

although I say "try to," as I'll probably keep reading posts and may end up responding to something else

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The common denominator is access to guns. You can't have a region or a state have stricter regulations but be able to cross to state lines and get what you need in that particular state anyways. I get it, there will still be a black market if you outlaw guns altogether, but if we can minimize these sort of occurrences, wouldn't that be for the best? We can tackle some of the problems that lead these individuals to make these decisions (mental health, bullying, etc) but at the end of day, guns are still mostly accessible, so once again, that's the tool that needs to be eliminated from the equation.

Hey, you don't have to agree but it pretty much tells me that you are okay with the fact that this will happen from time to time since you see a greater benefit of society having access to guns.

#1587 ElPigto, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    DaDakota likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really have answers either; anything around gun control is dead on arrival. Personally I try not to think about the actual mass shooting as it's just too upsetting and depressing. There's nothing really to debate there anyway.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. TheresTheDagger

In the aftermath of these things several things are clear. Emotions are understandably high and the numbness at the overwhelming loss and frustration with the repetition of these evil acts occuring sets in.

Problem #1...as I see it.... is that people are more interested in being angry (and being right) than actually working towards solutions. Until we find a way to actually talk TO each other than PAST each other...this will continue to happen again and again and again. I wish I had the magic solution on how to fix this. I don't. But I'm here...listening.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and ROCKSS like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

nothing will change because these politicians don’t give a damn…it’s not their kids being shot up

they are also bought by the NRA and are basically slaves to their whim

so some pathetic disgusting creature like Ted Cruz will probably take his bum ass to that NRA convention on Friday despite what just happened because his NRA master told him to, and like a good boy, Teddy will do what he’s told

ROCKSS, edwardc and Newlin like this.
  11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The supply of guns are the problem. Why is it only in the US that this is more of problem than other country? Do you think other countries don’t have issues with mentally ill sick people? Why is it only here that it is on this scale?

#1591 AleksandarN, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Newlin likes this.
  12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Whenever I hear politicians or posters talk about how gun laws don't work at X, etc - I wonder how much of that is subjective vs actual data. People always focus on the outliers (i.e there was a mass shooting at X state, so that proves gun laws don't work). However, while that gets the headlines, that doesn't really look at just the overall impact of gun laws.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

I was shocked that Texas has the same rate of gun deaths as Illinois (again, all I ever hear is about Chicago, etc) - in fact, in 2019, Illinois was 15-20% lower!. Also shocked how high TN and NM are. Finally, NY is a 1/3 the rate of Texas - so even if the NY laws didn't stop Buffalo, they sure do seem to be working in the big picture.

Finally, Hawaii is the lowest, making it again the best place to live in my book!

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

LMAO take away the guns. More restrictions. Its not that hard, dont feign ignorance.

14. TheresTheDagger

Thanks for the response.

I'm not against gun restrictions. We already have some and I don't think the ones we have are bad. I also don't and never plan to own a gun.

Having said that, I don't believe there is one single solution to this nightmare.

I believe if everything you wish for occurs, we will still have more shootings. The problem (stopping shootings...specifically school shootings) will continue. In addition, because of the nature of the contentiousness of the battle over gun control this is going to take years. That's not an argument against what you want...just a pragmatic reading of the status quo.

We need IMMEDIATE action all can agree upon. Lets focus on things like school security as a start. Then maybe we can take on the more difficult issues of mental health and gun rights/restrictions.

Still listening.

DCkid likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While school security is a start, folks will have to get on board about paying more in taxes to fund it.

Folks will also point to the fact that defacto security didn't work yesterday.

Sweet Lou 4 2, ROCKSS and dobro1229 like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's not true at all at least based on the evidence that I see both here on the ground in my life, and eventually in government on the left. If Chris Murphy literally getting on his hands and knees begging them to pass something... anything isn't openness to finding a solution, I don't know what is. Is he supposed to also lick the dirt off of Lindsay Graham's boots? Because he'd probably do that if it meant passing a real bill that could save lives.

And on the ground in my personal life I see the trend now where people on the left that are engaging those on the right to push them on now having the weight on your shoulders to do SOMETHING. Challenging them in a polite way that just saying "thoughts and prayers" isn't enough. Maybe it's not this bill or that bill, but you as a Christian or just a good person have the moral obligation to offer some sort of path forward. We also are really good now at articulating through the debate of "It's just mental illness" because we all know that's BS.

So I think we actually are getting better at talking about this, BUT since the right has been the ones to talk in circles with talking points that lead to nothing but numbness please don't misinterpret challenging you as being angry with you, and vilifying you. I know that people LIKE YOU have to be part of the solution, and it's on people like you eventually to push the people you support and vote for that'll listen to you... not me. So I hope you are more comfortable now with being challenged a bit more through this dialog because it is on you in the end. If you are a Christian or just a good morally sound person, you can't just say "thoughts and prayers" and do nothing while children are slaughtered. So start articulating yourself what can be done.

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Problem #1 is that one party repeatedly offers zero solutions - except thoughts and prayers. If they don't think gun control is the solution, then they should suggest something else - but they never do. They insist crime and inflation and everything else are Democrat's fault, suggesting that proper government policy could improve those things. But when it comes to mass shootings... crickets. No solutions - ever. And they veto everyone else's solutions.

Stop with the whole "both parties are bad" nonsense. One party tries. The other does not.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I watched a bit of Abbotts presser and he made it pretty clear what the talking points will be for the GOP.............its not the guns, its mental illness and that's what we need to focus on, all that worrying for nothing :rolleyes: , I should have known wheels and lyin Ted would have the answers

19. Screaming Fist

Three cops versus one high school kid and the cops fled and cried in their cars while that creep shot up the place. Like a scene out of No Country for Old Men except instead of Chigurh it's some snot nosed brat who happened to walk into a gun store.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

No, more gun restrictions is the answer. A total ban on guns is the actual answer but no one(on the RIGHT) wants to here it.