1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting by a gun carrying Texan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 24, 2022.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Fox News comment section is all people yelling at Biden not securing the borders. Considering his guns were purchased legally, me thinks they’re just being racist. @MojoMan

BigM, AleksandarN, Nook and 4 others like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Anybody can get a weapon outside the hood in large portions of this country with plenty of ease. Buying guns from individuals isn't hard when most gun owners buy and sell frequently.

AleksandarN and Nook like this.
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Sovereignty is with the people of this country as a whole. Whether or not something is constitutional can be secondary to simply what people want. The constitution provides a process to operationalize that via diverse representational democracy (when working properly) that filters out various types of tyranny and excessive emotion.

Perhaps the constitution is nowadays providing a structural barrier to change more than a means to achieve responsive government, but there's no way to prove an alternative world would be better unless you could travel the multiverse.

Two Sandwiches, AleksandarN and Nook like this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

That's exactly what it was designed to be. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Or we could look at the systems of better countries and learn from them.

jiggyfly, Phillyrocket and Andre0087 like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why are guns banned at the NRA convention? I mean are they afraid of a mass shooting of politicians and gun owners? Shouldn't MORE guns there be the answer?

DD

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Amendments used to be more common. It's hard to say we can do it like country A or B when we're so different. I don't mind trying. That's why I had the Brazil question earlier. Brazil is big on guns, big on poverty and inequality, big on violence, Trump type president, and has major gun violence. They don't have the school shooting stuff though.

7. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

Squirtle and DaDakota like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OMG, too close to home here.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He was packing an AR-15 with large capacity magazines. My guess is that the officers there were heavily outgunned.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like we don't know that! The problem most people have is that this law needs changed in big ways.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I still cannot get over the fact that the shooter “was engaged by law enforcement, but made his way into the school anyway and went classroom to classroom shooting."

Can we dispense with the "good guy with a gun" myth now?

This myth is born of our unhealthy veneration of police and military.

Yes, the only thing that can *STOP* a massacre is a 'good guy with a gun' (usually several of them whom do it for a living), but "good guys" with guns (i.e. civilians) doesn't mean **** in terms of curtailing random and planned violence... because "good guys with guns who trained for this exact situation for several years" are barely capable of handling it.

We're down to a few solutions. Either:
    • Everybody and their mom gets a gun (anxiety inducing hellscape likely full of more unnecessary violence and collateral damage)
    or
    • Hardly anyone gets a gun and those that do work very hard for the privilege (makes self-defense harder for women and the poor but the amount of random gun violence would be virtually nil)

That's it. Those are your two choices going forward for solving gun violence in America.

12. Nook

Nook Member

"Guys in Texas" are not any more violent and crazy than men from other places.... and white men are not any more or less violent either.

The reality is that MEN are just far more violent than women.... and every statistic backs it up, but it isn't something that people are comfortable talking about.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Good guy with a laser guided bomb it is!

Kim likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Shooting on the Southside of Chicago? Probably a black guy.

There.... you can say it now.

Also, it was an Hispanic guy..... not that it matters, however everyone knew damn well it was going to be a MALE that did it. No one expected it would be a women, because the reality is that men are far more violent than women in out society and it needs to be addressed.

ROCKSS and Squirtle like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Imagine how fast gun controls would be passed if people were shooting politicians instead of kids.

Woman are much better in government than men.

DD

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  16. HillBoy

I recall that the weekend right after Sandy Hook, there was a race event at Texas Motor Speedway sponsored by the NRA. I remember watching an interview of the president of TMS where he was asked about the optics of having such a public endorsement of the NRA right after the events of Sandy Hook. The smirk on his face told me all I needed to know about him and his ilk. So at the NRA gunfest in Houston this weekend, you can expect to see Trump, Abbott, Cruz, Crenshaw and the rest of the so-called white, conservative (read neo-facist) CHRISTIAN patriots proudly bow down and declare their undying fealty to the almighty gun. And you can be sure they'll hire enough "non-white" faces to pose behind Trump in order to convey the illusion of acceptability. It's what they do.

Andre0087, Reeko, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

8 years ago, a good guy with a gun got killed when trying to stop the Vegas Walmart anti-gov killers. That couple could have taken many more lives if they wanted to.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Protest at a Supreme Court justice’s home?…Congress unanimously passes legislation in record time to address this existential crisis.

Dozens of children murdered in cold blood at an elementary school?…crickets.

jiggyfly, AleksandarN, Nook and 2 others like this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Meh. This is all just posturing of some kind. Women and men are wired differently. The vast majority of men will, by nature, always be more violent than women. So, in my opinion, you are barking up the wrong tree and with an empty argument. My point is that the poster was stereotyping a race of people because he/she thinks its ok as long as its white people. That same poster even called out someone for stereotyping mexican immigrants like 1 page later. Im just trying to point out the obvious here.

oh and saying “probably a black guy” is not the end goal here. Lol.

20. HillBoy

But I pulled this from their website advocating the event:

The NRA website touted the politicians' scheduled appearances in a post that was put up before the school shooting. It called Abbott, Trump and the other speakers "star-studded political heavyweights. "The website also promises that the convention will show off "over 14 acres of the latest guns and gear."