1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Lopez has been an all star and is a good rim protector and has a much better 3 point shot than Alpi, so I don't know why you are comparing the 2.

You are free to your opinion, but that's all projection and nobody really knows, just like nobody knows how these guys will be as pro's.

maj21 likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@Dayrell_Murray

3. MystikArkitect

Agree with this. The more and more I look at the draft, the more I see Paolo being firmly #1 with Ivey being #2. I have issues with drafting role players at #1 or #2 and that's what I feel like Jabari and Chet are going to end up as. Ivey is being slighted even more than Paolo. If you don't have a bona-fide #1 already, you're just not going to do much. That's why Raptors and Cavs are in bad spots moving forward. They raised their floor but destroyed their ceiling. Maybe Garland becomes a superstar but I don't see it. The Raptors are just going to get out talented every year.

Hoping the Magic draft Jabari #1 and the Thunder take Chet #2 at this point. If the Kings draft for fit that would have the Pistons and Rockets taking the best two players in the draft two seasons in a row. Ivey/Cade and Jalen/Banchero.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I mean really its kind of astounding that Banchero has not been consensus #1 for a while but It's why teams like the magic and kings have been bad for so long, they get enamored by potential, but the thing that I can't understand is why can't anybody see the still untapped potential of Banchero?

The only 2 knocks on him are 2 point shooting and intensity on defense, 2 of the most easy things to fix, he is more skilled than any of the big 3 all around and has shown more leadership qualities on the big stage than any of the big 3.

It's like everybody is enamored of the big guys who claim to fame is being able to shoot 3's as if thats the most important skill and everything else is secondary, now that this defense thing about Banchero is being put to bed there really is no reason for Banchero not be the consensus #1 considering everything else he brings to the table.

My god, I hope he drops to 3, it will be like Luka dropping, not saying he is as good as Luka but I think he will outshine the other 2 guys like Luka has.

6. verysimplejason

Lopez got more range than Sengun. Sengun needs to have more range in the offense to start or it will clog the lanes for Green and the Rockets' guards and wings.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hard to blame them, but if you cant put the puzzle together regarding projections + immediate potential then you will be mired in mediocrity or worse if the pick doesnt live up to expectations. This year specifically has the Magic and Thunder looking for that face of the franchise STILL after missing on several projects already during their rebuilds so they seem to have fallen in love with the thought that in 2-3 years both Chet and Jabari could be a top 15 type player with the right development. Stone said it best that looking for guys with high ceilings is the way, but if you ignore the low floor then its a crap shoot. Trying to find guys with higher floors and similar ceilings is the key. The sting of a "bust" when picking top 5 sucks. I think as a collective Rocket fans should be fairly happy with the development of Jalen Green and how he handles his business and the type of superstar that he can be - it removes the need to take such high risks moving forward. Jalen Green was a HUGE risk comparatively to Mobley and the other guys last draft, but we got lucky and now some conservative roster construct with high caliber players will make our rebuild a success - I have no doubt.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Big guys who can switch on the perimeter and shoot 3s are extremely valuable look at the teams in the NBA now. You dont really find 3nD PFs available how many PFs can guard Steph Curry on the perimeter and shoot 3s on offense?

Banchero is prob my 2nd choice at this point because I'm afraid of Chet's body type but regardless I think Rox win out no matter what the outcome is. If he falls to us I hope you are correct.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh how is Jalen a huge risk? If snything Mobley was the huge risk since bust rate in bigs are so high+his frame was extremely skinny.

Jalen was the conservative pick we have seen athletic guards with a good shot flourish in the NBA like Zach lavine or Devin Booker. Even JR Smith turned into a starter level player for some time. OTH we have so many pogo stick big men turn into busts like Hasheem Thabeet or Thong Maker. Even Mo Bamba is arguably a bust since he is not worth the lotto 9ick invested in him so far.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Big guys who can create thier own shot, playmaker and be the hub of the offense on goods teams are even more valuable, what's your point?

No PF can guard Steph Curry on the perimeter and none of these could as well, I have no idea where you are going with this?

Since when has anybody picked a guy top 3 because of defense over a guy who was much better offensively?

And the crazy part is neither of Smith or Holmgren are lockdown defenders or particularly great all around defenders.

leebigez likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is why no one can talk to you.

First, Paolo isn’t much better offensively.
    Second, both Jabari and Chet are great all around defenders. The numbers back this up.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You consistently lie to prop up Paolo. It’s sad.

Then you always say you don’t detract from others to prop up your favorite. You literally just did it, you stated your negative opinion as fact. When the numbers literally say you’re wrong.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're right in a vaccum, but Evan Mobley wasnt a big risk IMO. There was enough quantitative data to suggest he would be successful at a high level in the NBA regardless of all the petty bickering from Green Gang and Mobley Mob. When looking at his strengths there was some acknowledging that he may not be a "face of the franchise" type superstar when trying to determine his best landing spots. He was a great fit for CLE who had already started their rebuild years ago and who seem to be committed to the guys they picked high in drafts leading up to the Mobley pick and it was a nice transition for everyone involved until Jarret Allen went down and guys who normally arent expected to do more were asked to do just that.

Houston needed to swing for the fences. They had NOBODY as the face of the team moving forward and had to try to create some kind of identity. Jalen Green brought hype and buzz with him. Huge social media presence. Not that those things matter on the court, but in terms of marketability and franchise notable players he made sense for Stone to take a gamble on - his stat sheets didnt jump off the page like Mobley. It involved a good share of projection. Jalen had the most "star quality" in my eyes, but that doesnt always lead to a successful player. It did for us and we should be thrilled.

Paolo Banchero CAN be a star. He may end up being BETTER than anyone we have up to and including Jalen Green - we wont know for years, but what he provides TODAY fits into the timeline for Houston without having to hope for best case scenarios years down the line.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not going to let you derail this thread just because you need some attention.

16. MystikArkitect

Guys like Jalen are always a huge risk. He was the riskiest of the Top 5 prospects because you're essentially drafting him in hopes of him being the bonafide #1 option on a team. Mobley is never going to be that. Much less so Scottie Barnes. This is 3 years in a row now where teams at the top swing for the fences and hit it out of the park. Ja Morant, Ant, and now Jalen Green. Those guys change your franchise. The issue with them is if they don't pan out, they're kinda useless. They'll never be glue guys or 3 and D players like Barnes. It's why Daryl Morey was so obsessed with finding that guy. And he did with Harden.

People talk up the Raptors and Masai a lot but that's a loser franchise to me with a loser mentality. You had Kawhi one year that the Warriors imploded with injuries and they happened to fall backwards into a championship. He left and now you're stuck with a bunch of above average players. You know your franchise sucks when everyone likes you. Scrappy little team you got there! It's always some condescending praise. It's when you have a player or a team that people hate that you know you have something.

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think he makes a strong case with tape to back it up. Though at first glance, Jabari is a pretty good fit on the Magic, I have my doubts. They would probably regret passing on Paolo in a couple of years.

While the Magic are hoping Smith grows to become Tatum-like, he could easily plateau as a better-shooting Derrick McKey. Good defender, a guy you don't want to leave alone, but not a creator and primary star.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hoping best case projections pan out is a slippery slope. I feel sorry for teams/fanbases who have missed multiple times in trying to find their "star". Spotting talent is a gift for GMs. I want to believe that Rafael Stone is one of the good ones. Time will tell.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ironic lol

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about lol

risk means the guy won't pan out in the NBA or will be a bust. The bust rate on star guards is very low compared to big men. No ****, if a player doesn't pan out he is useless. What's the use of Hasheem Thabeet or Anthony Benett or Adam Morrison? They're all useless thats why they are considered busts.

Jalen's skills are all translatable his athleticism, his height and length and his shooting. Apart from Cade and Barnes he had the highest floor cuz he already proved he could play in the GLeague in fact he was one of the fav for ROY prior to the season.