1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting by a gun carrying Texan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 24, 2022.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You were out of line. This was never the time for jokes.

2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Funny how the biggest threat to the people are the 2nd amendment gun nuts. Those anti government people who always cite the tyranny of the big bad government do this.

[​IMG]

Nook, Yung-T and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is your problem? Really? Nothing else to say? Just jump on @deb4rockets hours after it has been settled?

jiggyfly, JeeberD and Andre0087 like this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with that letter, but like I said, I think there are reasonable interpretations either way. The Constitution Center has some great articles and materials on it.

As for the permit thing, where the regulation originates from is minutiae if it's ultimately a statewide permit. Anyhow, I don't think the new law is as bad as some make it out to be. From a civil liberties standpoint, I really do think city cops were just using the old laws to harass minorities, even though in many intances people would be breaking the law with illegal carry. And I think the violence uptick has many more factors than simply the carry law.

And I do think it would take huge constitutional tradeoff if to make real change and I don't think enough Americans want real change. I think Americans, in general, want common sense regulations (with the hard details up for debate). But in the end, want violent video games, violent books, violent movies, access to guns (because my kids won't even become monsters or I will never do something stupid - which is what most think) and are okay deep down with dead people, even dead kids as the cost.

Legal or illegal, there is just way too much ignorant gun ownership out there. Like improper use, unsafe use, bad judgment, unssafe storage etc.

StupidMoniker likes this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Let’s face it, america is getting more violent, less tolerant, more ignorant, more polarized, less decent. Perhaps it’s not really different from how it used to be, maybe it’s just more news coverage and internet availability of negative things. But it sure seems to me that these things are true, Irrespective of your political affiliation, these things speak to values and each person is capable of doing what they can to do better in each of these and other areas. But I am not optimistic that the trend will change anytime soon.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, and there was no standing army when this was written so we NEEDED a militia we no longer need one.....and we have very little REGULATION on guns.

DD

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

American Letter of Marque, 1812 (constitution.org)

It matters if you are required to get it from the chief of police in your city of residence and the chief in your city refuses to give them out to most people or to his political adversaries. That is what was happening in San Francisco. Nancy Pelosi and her bodyguards had no trouble getting a concealed carry permit, but not many others were issued.
    California has pretty substantial gun control laws, especially with regard to carry. They mostly get used to hang felonies on gang bangers.
    I agree. I am in the don't want change camp. If there was more focus on enforcing the laws we already have instead of fighting over what new laws to pass, I think it would be more effective in reducing violence.
    I would say that the problems are overstated. There are more guns in America than people, but there are less than 5 firearm murders per 100,000 people per year. The majority of those are criminals killing other criminals over their criminal activities. School shootings like this make up the headlines, but this is not the normal example of gun violence, this is the extremely rare exception. If you are an average, law abiding citizen, your odds of being killed in gun violence are infinitesimal. Every life lost is tragic, especially these tiny children, but we are not suffering the bloodbath the media would have us believe.
    We have thousands of regulations on guns at both the state and federal level. There was also a provision for raising an army and a navy when the constitution was written. The militia was not a replacement for the army, it was a supplement.

Kim likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Women in general show aggression different than men

The difference is women have little-to-no consequence regardless of their validity... and there's also laws that help facilitate female aggression

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't want to go down the chief-of-police approval wormhole, as I think that type of Hawaii ban and NYC bad will get overturned by SCOTUS this summer.

Overstated problems or understated, it's all part of the political questions and solutions. Like I don't mind the poo flinging from the left and right because that's what politics is in a sense, just flinging stinky poo until something sticks. Even if I accept your data about low murder, I think it's totally fair politically or whatever for people to be extra outraged at school kid murders. Fair might not be the right word...let's say, expected. Rear camera safety features weren't installed in more cars even when the tech was there mainly due to a cost/benefit analysis by car companies (got this from a Freakonomics episode iirc). What happened was that the car companies failed to weigh children accident and deaths more than an average person death, so the backlash among parents companies to standardize and upgrade to backup cams in all new cars.

We're emotional beings throughout the core of our history. White people being afraid of black people banging their daughters used to be the norm and still exists in many corners. Abortion used to be illegal due to Protestants not wanting to lose the population race to dirty Catholics. There's a huge history of laws based on emotion and not data. So if, if emotionally powered or manipulated politics drives anti-gun legislation and anti-gun enforcement, then so be it. I'm betting against it, not necessarily because I think it's good or bad (as I'm a wait-and-see and analyze type of guy), but mainly because I think the pro-gun lobby has successfully entrenched + gerrymandering + people are kind of selfish with their guns.

Lastly, I've seen way too many dumb gun owners online and in life to not think that there shouldn't be more gun training. I need more gun training, and I consider myself a responsible gun owner. People need more driving training too, but car tech is making the roads safer. Gun tech is making guns deadlier.

Andre0087 and StupidMoniker like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The member, @cmoak1982, who posted that should edit and delete it. He should also take a closer look at the sources he's getting information from. We all should. This is the kind of incredibly dangerous misinformation that promotes hatred and senseless violence.

Andre0087, tinman and AleksandarN like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It actually is important to know the facts, who was this kid and what was his situation.
    He was a Hispanic kid in a small Hispanic town not far from Mexico and San Antonio.
    From the accounts of his coworkers, sounded exactly like a troubled kid who would do this.

He killed his grandmother first. That should tell you right away what kind of person he was.

@Os Trigonum @rocketsjudoka

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/what-...dor-ramos-the-suspected-texas-school-shooter/

The 18-year-old gunman who allegedly shot and killed 18 school children and two adults at a Texas elementary school cryptically messaged a stranger “I’m about to” just hours before he opened fire on the children.

Salvador Ramos was identified as the suspect in the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde on Tuesday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said. He was killed by police after the shooting.

Ramos, who attended the town’s high school, reportedly shot his grandmother before driving to the school armed with a handgun and possibly rifle, Abbott said.

A manager at a Wendy’s in Uvalde told The New York Times the Ramos worked there for a year and quit about a month ago.

Shooter allegedly tagged stranger in Instagram pic of guns

An Instagram account believed to be Ramos’ contained photos of guns and selfies of himself. The account, with the username “salv8dor_”, was taken down after Abbott released the name of the suspected mass shooter.

The account’s single grid post features three photos — a mirror selfie of Ramos in a sweatshirt, a grainy black-and-white close-up of his face, and a first-person shot of a person holding a firearm magazine in their lap.

The same account shared a photo of two rifles laying side-by-side to its stories. The account tagged another user in the photo.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

this kid tagged a random person on Instagram because he wanted someone to know he was going to do this.
    also shows he had no friends because he tagged someone who was completely random.

social media definitely had some influence here.
    @J.R.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hopefully the connotation of RINO becomes a positive thing soon. For the sake of our country, and for the sake of checks and balances.

15. Two Sandwiches

This almost reads as sarcasm in today's day and age.

I absolutely know you didn't mean it that way though.

16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

17. tinman

Supporting Member

This happens all the time Deck.
    There was an racial incident in San Francisco at a restaurant.
    Then Fake Outage Mob went after the WRONG restaurant in Los Angeles with the same name and zero affiliation.
    I posted it along time ago. People are pretty dumb cause they react and don't think or research.

you have people here who just react and didn't read what happened. I'm sure all the dudes named Ramos are targeted by blind idiots.

But that's 2020s for you.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but the health care system of the United States is totally broken. Wait times are insanely long right now for most procedures.

Signed,
    A healthcare worker

tinman likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

GTFO with all this right to bear arms in a symbol of militia ****. Why are we basing society on a document from 250 years ago when the world has changed as much as it has?

Do you think your guns are going to protect you from tanks and unmanned aerial drones that can kill citizens?

BigM, Nook, AleksandarN and 4 others like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Because your fckin rifles and handguns would help against the biggest military in the world with jets, tanks, helicopters, artillery, drones etc?

You guys come up with absurd bullsh** excuses to justify your love for guns, it's completely pathetic and you enable these tragedies.

BigM, Nook and Squirtle like this.