1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Perfect example why hasn’t the ERA amendment passed yet? Which is a lot less divisive than removing the 2nd amendment. You are so intellectually dishonest it is sad. You honestly think the roadblocks are from the left?

2. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not dishonest at all. You're being dishonest with yourself if you think this is all a GOP problem.

There is no large scale Democratic support to repeal the 2nd Amendment. None.

3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The right has blocked the era from going through. Why is that? I am not talking about your “solution on the 2nd amendment “. Why is the right blocking that?

Tell me with a straight face how much support would your solution would get on the right? We can’t even pass an universal back ground checks through the senate because of the right? Yea ******* right you are being dishonest

Yung-T, JayGoogle and HP3 like this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

I don't know of any Republicans who are advocating the repeal of the 2nd amendment.

How many Democrats are advocating for that?

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Your solution not mine. Still haven't answered my question. Why is the right blocking universal background checks? Like I said dishonest

JayGoogle, HP3 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

What's your solution?

I think I have answered your questions.

What do I care about universal background checks? What mass shootings would universal background checks have stopped? This country has 450 million guns swishing around.

I'm not naive enough to believe that if I woke up tomorrow and the half measures Democrats advocate for were codified anything would change. Maybe that gives you the warm fuzzies that you're "doing something" but the reality is that it will take extreme measures to actually effectuate any meaningful change.

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Again if the right blocks something (small and ineffectual in your books) what makes you think they would do anything remotely what you are talking? Yet you blame the left. Why be so dishonest? Why?

HP3 likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am not sure whether there is a single answer, but I think the combination of way too many guns being obtainable way too easily, poor mental healthcare is like the dry hay and then if you add social media and perhaps realistic, violent computer games to that, that might be acting as a fire accelerant.

Slyonebluejay and Tomstro like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I don’t not blame the right. I know the right won’t repeal the 2nd amendment.

I also know the left doesn’t have broad based support for that either.

Even if we woke up tomorrow and mainstream Democratic gun control was codified nothing would change. There’s no good reason to believe otherwise.

10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

This is a societal issue and yes more attention is required. I guess you will be voting for Beto next election right? Working on his campaign. Working the phones maybe?

HP3 likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

Too soft on guns

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Then who do you support? Abbott?

JayGoogle and HP3 like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The only thing we can do in a reasonably short period of time is putting a pair of NG troops in every school -- then shooters will just hit another public place with a crowd.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is basically correct. Schools are being hit because of the societal impact it has killing kids. These psychos want headlines.

You turn schools into prisons and this will start happening at little league games, child care facilities, gymnastics classes, etc wherever the young and vulnerable congregate.

Anything other than a complete and total gun ban is a useless waste of time.

You want a solution than go and look at what Australia did. That is the only ****ing solution!

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A complete gun ban is never going to happen, and I don't think is necessary either. I respect responsible gun owners and their right to have guns.

What I think needs to be changed is that someone can just show up and buy a weapon capable of shooting dozens of people in a very short period of time. There should be a process - one that ensures guns are being used by responsible gun owners. That includes safety training, references, and a psych evaluation. And yes, guns need to be tracked with a history of ownership so we can slowly start removing guns off the street and knowing when they do end up on the street where they are coming from. We do this with cars. It's not that hard to do.

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

F the gun nuts and their educated morons on the S.Ct who support them and the gun industry.
    No more stories about the motivations of the shooters or their mental problems or the niceties of the various gun laws or the signals that they had problems etc etc..
    At the minimum ban all guns who have no other use than to kill people. Start with all handguns, assault rifles. Nobody hunts with a handgun or an assault rifle.

Yung-T and HP3 like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Beto? Beto is too soft on guns? How so?

We are talking about Beto O'Rourke, right?

HP3 and AleksandarN like this.
  18. HTM

HTM Member

You can hunt with a flint lock rifle like DDL in Last of the Mohicans. Hawkeye was a badass.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Betos not getting rid of handguns last I checked

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Again who are you voting for/support?

HP3 and JayGoogle like this.