1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't like it, I love it.... Some people over think these draft picks way too damn much.

Ekiu likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro we have like 4 dudes on this team who need the ball, Green,KPJ, Sengun and Paulo...that's a lot. And I think its unreasonable for you to make that comparison like we dont have HUGE ASS DEFENSIVE ISSUES as well.

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

One underrated thing about Paolo is how vocal he is. The Rockets don't really have anyone outside of Jaygup who has that Draymond-like vocal quality. Paolo does have this and will be this here. Jabari and Chet don't really do this and strike me more as "take directions" type of players. I guess it's natural for Paolo due to so many duties being dumped on him but even in defensive situations he was telling guys where to be. Rockets need more leaders in this group. Between him and Jalen, obviously Green is the more talented player but Paolo would be the leader.

It's really really tough for me to understand arguments against Paolo when Luka, Steph and Tatum are currently the 3 best players in the playoffs. None known for being elite at defense and all known for being offensive fulcrums, crafty around the basket (hmmmm), as well as being good shot creators.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Projecting how a player will perform as a second option is probably even harder than as a first option. So much of the role depends on overall roster construction and the abilities of the first option. Kyrie's been okay as a second, sometimes third, option in Brooklyn but was probably the best sidekick Lebron's ever had. He couldn't play defense like Wade or AD, but he could completely take over the offense and was a far better shooter than the other two. Lebron is a gifted passer and extremely strong on drives, so Kyrie was a good fit.

We don't know fully what we yet in Green and how much of a playmaking load he can handle. Our roster is so open right now with many areas of need. If Banchero is a better primary option than the other top prospects then go with that. If he's not good enough first option to carry a championship team then deal with that later, he'd still have value in that scenario. I personally think highly of Chet's overall game and would rather draft him, but I'm not aiming specifically for players that will thrive off ball. We just need talent.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

KPJ is not a Pg on a championship team. Luckily, we’re not winning the chip this year or the next, so he can attempt to prove folks wrong. The point guard position will be addressed later. It’s a Big man’s draft this year - perfect time to add to the core and assemble a contender in the Stone Age.

raining threes and Fullcourt like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I've been critical and skeptical regarding KPJ, but I would still say he's not a PG on a championship team *yet*

just like jalen isn't good enough to be a #1 option on a championship team *yet* but I think he will be.

Alpy isn't a starting center on a championship team *yet*

we don't know what these guys will turn out to be. I'm willing to give guys a chance through their rookie deals. resigning them to a raise is another story. at that point we can get rid of the *yet* and make a decision.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

100%

we can all have our preferences in the top 3. but we pick third and the choice will be made for us. take whoever is left and be damn happy we were lucky enough to draft him.

TriumVirate, lkrockets, Ekiu and 4 others like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who has claimed he was?

I'm not convinced any of these guys is a starter on a championship team, luckily we still have a couple of years to find out.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You can add the following "engaged" defenders to that list:

Jabari Smith
    Keegan Murray
    Jeremy Sochan
    Dyson Daniels
    Jalen Duren
    Ousmane Dieng
    Ochai Agbaji
    Mark Williams
    Malaki Branham
    EJ Liddell
    Kendall Brown
    Marjon Beauchamp
    Christian Koloko
    Christian Braun
    Oscar Tshiebwe
    Wendell Moore
    Dalen Terry

And I'm sure I've missed a few more.

Hopefully Banchero (and Ivey, Sharpe, Griffin) are added to this list before their careers are over.

Nook likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Using that line of reasoning, will you acknowledge that Chet's already high level of efficiency should IMPROVE at the NBA level too?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Comparing Paolo to Steph, Luka or even Tatum will just lead to heartbreak.

Temper those expectations.

Nook, MrButtocks and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

But not crampers.

Regardless, if Chet or Jabari not there at #3, the pick must be Paolo.

Nook and Salvy like this.
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Agree, its such a stress free draft... There is virtually nothing to worry about, I actually prefer Paolo to Chet and Jabari so maybe that's why I'm more thrilled about it... I do think Paolo well end up the better player from the top 3. Chet could struggle, he is insanely thin. Has there ever been a player that thin in today's league be a star? Karilenko? maybe.. I just don't know bout Chet.... Jabari I think is better but Paolo just screams star to me..... Dude is a beast with a midrange game and a bag....

larry cook and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Guys discussing Banchero. At about 9:30 the bald guy says how he doesn't want Banchero to go to Houston. Believes the Rockets have a losing culture that could be bad for him. Second talking head I've seen say this.

Fullcourt, Nook and D-rock like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just another way to crap on Houston.

But, I actually do think we have a structure and culture problem. Head coach needs to set a better tone. Same with ownership and GM

Nook and D-rock like this.
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Banchero is a taller Carmelo.

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Media simply doesn't want Houston back to competing.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

This vocal part is the quality we need across the board which is why I really want Banchero And Braun. Those two have high leadership qualities.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Kendrick Perkins does.

Yea you lost me when you put Branham in there. I love the guy but he was bad on defense.

D-rock likes this.
  20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Kendrick Perkins is also from Texas and supports any kids from Texas to.

cmoak1982 likes this.