1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hakeem Olajuwon's reaction after Ralph Sampson eliminated Lakers in 1986 WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 23, 2022.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Ralph was light years ahead of what Chet looks like to me.

Deckard, Verbal Christ and xaos like this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

People said Ralph was a 7'4 guy who could play and move like a small forward. A unicorn before that term was ever invented.
    ...until I juries derailed his career. Which just seems to be the case for guys like this more often than not.
    True he has the awful fall that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but I still struggle to see how this 3ont be likely for Mobley, Holmgren and Wemby within 5 years of them making it into the league

xaos likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought about the Ralph comp to Chet too. Ralph was taller. He came out of college billed as the player of the century. But many people thought he would be pushed around in the NBA because of his slight frame. He worked real hard hitting the weight room and was able to bang with the big men. But I've always suspected that his injury might have something to do with this frame. That's why I am worried about Chet.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In his case, @Easy, I don't think Ralph's frame was a major factor. He had one of those very awkward falls in the post, landing smack on his back against the Celtics. One of those falls that make you gasp. My understanding is that it ultimately led to the knee injuries because of poor physical therapy/medical treatment. That and Ralph's desire to play, no matter how he felt, in my opinion. As for the comparison to Chet, I honestly believe that Ralph's physique was far superior. This video makes that clear, in my opinion.

There's a video around here somewhere of Chet playing shirtless against some more ordinary looking players in a gym. What looks like a pickup game. Perhaps someone can search for it in the GARM and post it. Look at that and look at this video that shows Ralph both at Virginia, where he was a 3 time College Player of the Year (a record, one he held for decades) and also in the NBA playing with Dream and then tell me their physiques are truly on par with each other. I don't think so and, to be honest, it worries me when I think of us getting Chet. Of course, to be fair, physical training and medical care now, compared to the mid-'80's, is vastly superior today.

Rashmon, Verbal Christ and Easy like this.
  5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I mean there's at least about ten people I'd have on there ahead of Curry, but otherwise pretty good.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Some of you guys need to educate yourselves on how talented Sampson was.