1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JuanValdez
    Again what did you learn about other groups like your examples

Black kids lacking pride is another broken home problem

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not sure what the point is that you're trying to make here. That schools teach more black history than Italian-American history? If so, I think it misses the point. There's a lot more history in these other American communities that should be taught but are also marginalized. Our history of seeing everything in racial terms and trying to preserve privilege for white protestants is a long-term theme that touches immigrant Americans from Italy, Ireland, China, Mexico, and everywhere else. Kids should learn and understand that. But, that white supremacy has been most salient regarding our treatment of Black Americans, which makes it one of the most historically significant and should be prominent.

Sure, educating kids with trouble at home is hard. They need the math and science. They need their history too, though that's harder to quantify. But, I'm not primarily thinking about them. White kids in happy, stable homes that have money and good schools should not be telling me that we already abolished slavery a century ago, and blacks were guaranteed civil rights in the '60s, and we're in a post-racial America where they don't see color. And that sure, there was discrimination before, but there's no reason now that blacks can't succeed just as well as whites. They don't know their own history.

Rileydog and B-Bob like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

+
    This post is about critical race theory. Your first post was about black history. That's two different subjects in a lot of ways

If you can't answer who are blacks in history class are marginalized in comparison then I'm done. Public school can't cater to black kids. All that you are arguing for is extra. Time money etc etc

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JuanValdez

Primary school is for basics. I learned a lot about black history in college. You're really not understanding this point in terms of the public school system has enough of a time teaching basics

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll just let you reflect.

We learned about Andrew Carnegie (Scottish-American)

Henry Ford (Irish-American)

John F. Kennedy (Irish-American)

Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt (Dutch-American)

Abraham Lincoln (English - American)

Do I need to go on?

We don't need to isolate the learning as just by contributuins/hardships of African-Americans. That isn't what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that the history involved is relevant to everyone.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

I don't see any real firm distinctions between CRT, black history, American history, or really any other history. Teaching about black history or white supremacy isn't about catering to black kids, it's teaching American history to American children. That's not extra, it's our heritage. If all the black people up and moved to Africa tomorrow, we should still teach it in school. I suspect, from our past conversations, that you think black history is for the black community, but I don't think of it that way at all. Black history is American history and it matters to white people (whether they know it or not) as much as it does to black people.

jiggyfly, Rileydog and subtomic like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't remember when I learned about Carnegie but Ford revelutioned manufacturing. Certain predidents represent certain periods

I shouldn't have to say that apparently but then you went dumb liberal **** and included Lincoln. Good lord

You mad at black history and American history in general.

Then was all smart ass about it

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You said white kids need to learn it. That's CRT.

Your first post was what history your daughter didn't know

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I learned a lot about black history at UT and Uof H. Every black took the African American history
    elective just about at UT

I don't believe In God but churches are good places to learn history. Blacks do have this

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does critical race theory apply to other races?

277811706_479564456936160_4160670600127717544_n.jpg

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I understand what Ford did. I wasn't saying not to teach those people. I was saying to include other important events and people in history and listed some.

I included Lincoln because he was taught in school. I don't understand why that triggered you in any way.
    [​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

You feel like I pulled some kind of bait-and-switch on you?

I try to neither confirm nor deny on CRT. It's a politicized word that seems to have a different definition at every telling. I don't want to waste my time defining what it is or isn't. What I'm trying to talk about is American history and specifically the history of white supremacy. My first post, incidentally, was the history my daughter did know that I hadn't known at her age. How that is CRT, I don't really understand (or care).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is Ford's ancestry? Liberals don't understand this is a Capitalist country and that's why Ford is taught about. Steve Jobs will make his way into history class also.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

People know about white supremacy. This is also covered in Jim Crow. Did really not learn about injustice blacks faced?

I'll ask a third time. What did you learn about other groups?

15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

At the risk of overgeneralizing, I think the conservative viewpoint seems to be, hey, just leave things the way they were, teach kids what you taught me, all this wokeness about teaching perspectives than history written by white people is just stupid minorities complaining about problems that don’t exist or wanting to brainwash children. Fundamentally, that’s what it boils down to. Do not progress or advance perspectives in education.

Academic examination of history from other perspectives Is somehow racist, or a waste of time, or brainwashing.

People believe what they want to believe. People are closed minded to other viewpoints. People suffer from a ton of confirmation bias. There are uncomfortable truths about the history of this country and how white america treated non white america, and how those actions echo into today. A whole lotta conservatives don’t want to hear about the uncomfortable truths.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Ford is Irish American.

What people who haven't studied certain neglected parts of history weren't aware is that Daniel Hale Williams performed the first successful Open Heart surgery. He should make his way into history for that. Half a million people have that every year. It's arguably as valuable as Ford's contributions, but white history book writers didn't think to include it.

This is only a partially capitalist country. Many of the best parts of it aren't capitalist. However, you can research how many capitalists have had open heart surgery. By the way, unfortunately, medicine is still a for-profit industry in this nation, so Williams fits into that narrative as well. Yet, even still he isn't taught in History classes.

The point is that by including the contributions and hardships of a more diverse group of people, it will inspire a wider range of people to aspire for those kinds of things. It helps everyone. It doesn't matter what race. But it will help members of races that are often overlooked even more.

By including these things, not one person loses. Everyone wins. But your leadership in Russia that will imprison people for up to 15 years for speaking out against the war won't let you talk about that. I get it.

jiggyfly and subtomic like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Agreed. And it's sad. When I learned more about it, I was upset that I wasn't taught so many things. It made me sad. It would be great for people to have a broader understanding of our history and the contributions that were made as well as the obstacles people face(d).

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I've already answered your question about many of the other groups. Why are you asking it again?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So what. A lott of doctors have accomplishments like that. There aren't a lot of Henry Fords. A lot of black people know qbout him. A lot of inner city kids can't do fifth grade math. The kids you are trying to reach need to get past basics

Making kids feel good isn't a goal of school. Kids not having pride is a broken homes problem

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wasn't talking to you. I'm responding to something he wrote specifically. Please don't do that