1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[The Athletic] Who should go No. 1? Ranking by Coach that faced all 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, May 22, 2022.

?

Who will go #1?

1. Paolo

21.4%
  2. Jabari

45.3%
  3. Chet

33.3%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

But that was due to the severe injury he suffered AFTER the draft.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But it's clear not everybody saw him that way. If Danny Ainge saw him that way he would have likely not traded down, right? I don't find it far-fetched that there was a college coach out there who had doubts before he was even drafted.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

You don't draft for the best player. You draft the one with the highest potential. Paolo is already good on offense, he can get better on his mid-range and 3-pts shots. His main weakness is defense. Chet and Jabari are both long. They both showed flashes on their turnaround shot, it's almost impossible to defend. It all depend how much the team has confident in them to improve. Chet was able to defend Duren raise his stock.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I guess usually it’s a combination of the two. And they show different kind of potential.
    Paolos potential to be the number 1 option on a contender is the highest (I would say) - Chets potential to be a top 5 player in the league is the highest (I would say). Jabari’s potential to be the missing piece on a team with a number 1 option is the highest (I would say).

That being said Jabari’s floor is the highest with Paolo right behind and then Chet.

D-rock, ilias and randerson like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

BigMaloe, Bo6, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Texans should give him a call.

dmoneybangbang and DaDakota like this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Paolo had a YouTube series where he talked about why he stopped playing football a d switch to basketball.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

This should have absolutely nothing to do with me wanting him more or less but for some reason I watched this and felt more excited to draft Banchero if we were BPA at 3 :D

Shark44, BigMaloe, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He's a phenomenal college coach, though. Quickly turned Arkansas into a perennial contender. His personality and hunger is contagious; social media icon. I could see why younger guys would run through a wall for him while professionals might find him cheesy.

10. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Jabari Smith's game reminds me of Channing Frye. Pass on Chet, he just gives me Shawn Bradley vibes.

I would be thrilled if Banchero is available at 3 for the Rockets.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ainge saw Fultz as not the no 1 pick, I doubt Ainge thought Fultz didnt even deserve to go in the first round.

I'd buy it if the Musselman said he thought Fultz didnt deserve to go top 5, but not even 1st round? Lol.

Fultz Statline in College:
    23 pts 5 rebs 5 ast on 41% 3 pt shooting, 57% FG with passable defense (had positive dpm and defensive win shares)

All while being a 6'4 pg and 18 yrs old? You think that dude doesnt even deserve to be in the first round? Look at Keegan Murray, that dude is undersized and old and doesnt have as gaudy a statline as Fultz and he is a lock for the top 10.

D-rock likes this.
  12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

There really are no comparisons to Bradley and Holmgren other than they are both taller than you and are both white.

Bradley was 7'6" and was strictly a low post player.

Holmgren is 5 inches shorter, can lead a fast break, cross you over, and pull off a step-back 3.

They are completely different types of players. Still not a great comparison but he's closer Kevin Durrant than Shawn Bradley. He's like a mix between Durrant and Mutombo, both skinny guys that turned out ok.

Anyway, back to our regular programming.

BigMaloe, Dobbizzle, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That was a good read. There has been a lot of praise for Paolo.

D-rock likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Shawn Bradley and Adam Morrison are far and away the 2 players I have heard Holmgren most mentioned with.

There are reasons to not want Chet, but a lot of people think he will suck for reasons not related to any actual skills.

raining threes likes this.
  15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Im never understood him going number one. A good player especially one worth the number one pick should be able to win in college. And at least make the tournament. And Fultz did none of that.

KingSamJack and D-rock like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not even remotely close to either of them.
    Holmgren is a great athlete for his size, and skill set is far above either of those two.

If we’re going to just make generalizations based on stereotypes and ethnicity. Then Paolo is Danilo Gallinari, that’s his ceiling.

raining threes likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

He wasn't my favorite either.

But the Musselman comment that Fultz was not a 1st rounder was silly.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Adam Morrison?????

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

Lol. As a semi Chet skeptic those comps are hilarious.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt here and assume it's cause they both went to Gonzaga and showed signs of promise? I'm really not a college ball guy though.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.