1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Always looking on the bright side.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have been indifferent on Click. He has huge shoes to fill replacing Luhnow. So far I see no glaring mistakes and no obvious Trade wins. But he hasn't had the opportunities for either. His internal management bringing up players appears above average. He has never appeared desperate like Purpora .

Signed a risky Verlander and let Correa Walk. Both moves look pretty astute at this point in time.

#662 Marshall Bryant, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Old memory. Benson and Hedges. They lit it up, didn't they?

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Do you think there may be a connection?

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maybe a Randal Grichuk realistic 90th% comp for Corey Julks?

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

He's also been an egregiously slow starter since joining the Astros, so this has been encouraging to see.

7. HeyBudLetsParty

Yanier Diaz putting up a good season at the plate in AA. Any updates on how his defense is developing?

Htown Legend likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

He seems to get a lot of reps at first base, so I think we'll see him get groomed more for 1B, with Korey Lee being the man at catcher in the future.

BlindHog and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

He is playing a lot of 1st and a little bit in the outfield. He is catching (a guess) 33% of the time.

They like the bat as a potentially productive big league hitter but his play calling isn't where it needs to be.

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Agree but he will have to work hard to get to first base on d efense. Currently I think he is a bench bat / DH. That becomes more likely if Alvarez turns into a decent defender (he really is looking better out there) in LF.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4 prospects I think have earned a promotion:
    2B Enmanuel Valdez
    IF Will Wagner
    OF Wilyer Abreu
    OF Quincy Hamilton

Those guys all have 150+ pa this season and have put up k/bb/slg numbers that indicate they may not be fully challenged. Valdez/Abreu to AAA, Wagner/Brewer to AA, and Hamilton/Loperfido to High A (with Urdaneta/Lorenzo going to Fayetteville and Barreto/Brinson released or traded) seems to make sense. Although I’m sure they’re waiting until after the draft and trade deadline to make those kinds of wholesale roster shuffles.

raining threes likes this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's an exciting prospect as a catcher. He's a pretty terrible 1B prospect. A guess a lack of belief in him playing C at the big league level is why he is ranked so relatively low on our top prospect lists.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The AA roster is a disaster, especially on the pitching side. The emergence of Valdez of the last couple years is interesting. He has jumped multiple levels after doing nothing for 3-4 years. I guess he is probably ready for AAA. He isn't terribly young.

I am kind of indifferent on Abreu honestly. That league has some offensive numbers that are high.

Nerio Rodriguez is someone that I would think they want to move up.... along with Will Wagner.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

All I have heard is that they question his game calling and handling of pitchers. He seems like a legit bat, lets hope he figures out the other side of the game.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/monday-prospect-notes-5-23-22/
    An excerpt of the portion on Valdez.

He struggles to cover the upper/outer quadrant of the plate, especially against fastballs, issues that big league pitching will likely be able to exploit. While his upper-level performance forced a sincere re-evaluation, we’re still resolved that Valdez is more an upper-level org guy than a true prospect.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Hunter Brown makes an appearance on MLB's Top 100 list as prospect number ... 100

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

LOL At #100?

2.40 era..... 14 K's per 9 innings and only 6 hits per 9 innings..... and they are gracious enough to make him #100 on their top prospect list.

19. HeyBudLetsParty

Over the last 4 years or so I’ve realized prospect rankings mean absolutely nothing. None of these journalist have the bandwidth to evaluate every prospect in every organization and make an accurate stack ranking. I’ve heard much of the Baseball America list is based on writers who have relationships with team scouts and hype their guys, Astros seem like they keep things tight lipped.

20. Buck Turgidson

Well, he might be a decent pitcher