1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Who should go No. 1? Ranking by Coach that faced all 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, May 22, 2022.

?

Who will go #1?

1. Paolo

21.4%
  2. Jabari

45.3%
  3. Chet

33.3%
  1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

With our bad luck, Chet will fall to us

jdjd, kjayp, MarioKissoDeath and 3 others like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Best possible outcome

3. TFP

TFP Member

Interesting input from Musselman. Does make me feel better about Banchero, though my heart is with Ivey. I'd be interested to know how accurate Musselman's take on other draft picks have been, say, over the past 3 drafts, and who has he been wrong about.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

This dude didn’t think Fultz was a 1st round pick?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can’t stand ridiculous hyperbole…I stopped reading right there

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Enjoyed the read from The Athletic and Coach Musselman, OP. Thanks! I take it, but managed to miss that column. Musselman really likes Paolo, seems to think his shooting will continue to improve, but couldn't give us a read on his defense, "we stayed away from him." That was a disappointment, in a way, but also a compliment to Banchero. Not the answer, for or against, about his defense some of us might have been hoping for.

He was also enthusiastic about Jabari Smith, who's the guy I want for the Rockets. Seemed to view him as very close to Banchero. Chet seemed to be at a slightly lower level for Coach, in my opinion, probably because his defensive scheme evidently worked against him. Still, he was impressed by the young fella.

Makes me wonder who will end up falling to us. Things may not play out like "conventional wisdom" appears to say it will. Heck, we might end up with Chet after all. Crazy!

BigMaloe, Slim, slothy420 and 7 others like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That’s not at all what he said. Musselman said that Fultz wasn’t the NUMBER 1 pick.

RudyTBag, Rudyc281 and Deckard like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh really

So what does this mean then?

In 2017, after his Nevada team faced Markelle Fultz at Washington (and won), he was not at all convinced he’d just seen the eventual No. 1 pick. In fact, he was “absolutely shocked” when it went down that way on draft night.

“Having coached in the NBA, I didn’t even think he was a first-round pick, let alone the No. 1 pick,”

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whoops….my bad

DatRocketFan, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It may have been a bit of hyperbole on the part of Musselman, but I found the column well worth reading. After all, he coached Arkansas against the teams of all three players, an interesting perspective, in my opinion, whether agreeing with him or not. Personally, I'd put Jabari at the top, but I'm hoping he falls to 3.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Any time (Chet) sets screens, just be as physical as we could and try to impede his path anywhere that he was on the floor. We wanted our strongest, most physical player on him.
    ______

Everyone in the NBA he will face is big and strong.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I've been conducting a deep dive into some unconventional scouting techniques and believe that Banchero has the highest level of natural testosterone of the Big 3. This will result in more motivation to compete, train, and win. It will also help him with his body composition (lower fat) over time. I believe we should test potential draft picks for their levels of natural testosterone.

robbie380 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Unless he's on the record saying this back then he's being absolutely ridiculous. Hell, even with all of the injury issues Fultz has dealt with he was still worthy of being a 1st round pick.

Reeko likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It means he was right.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I could not agree more. I’d still probably take Chet if he was there, but I’d much rather have either of the other two. My guess is that we end up with Chet, in which case I’d almost rather trade back I think.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

@D-rock I think rockets need to get on the phone and hire Musselman, I think he a good judge of talent.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nah.

Musselman is overrated.

That's why he's not coaching in NBA anymore.

KingSamJack likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Jabari is my pref...
    I want nothin to do with Chet - i just dont trust his body to hold up in the NBA...
    I'm good with Paolo...

i think Jabari will go #1... and i just pray Chet goes #2...

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

No he wasn’t. Fultz had no major injury or his fcked up shot in college, so thinking he wasn’t even a 1st round pick is laughable.

D-rock likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am still not familiar with them but I would think that Chet would have problems scoring big at the next level.

As far as defense goes, it will take some time.
    He seems to be too versatile to be a bust but nobody knows for sure.