1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bao, Empanada, Pirogi , Kolache, Samosa or Calzone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, May 21, 2022.

?

What do you like?

1. Bao

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Empanada

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Pirogi

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Kolache

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Samosa

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  6. Calzone

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Paisties are like empanadas from an alternate universe without spice and where no human has learned to cook.

Ottomaton likes this.
  2. B-Bob

This poll needs to allow multiple picks!!

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I mean I liked the filling of getting full on it to keep working growing up.... but as I mentioned I added peppers/Jalapeños etc on my own TX take to spice it up/add actual flavor, haha. I more like the history behind it with regards to the miners etc.. My grandpa and great uncles worked in the mines in the UP, so it holds a special meaning for me when I'd get to visit family from up there.

Unfortunately only memories remain now. My parents are getting up there in age now but my mom will still make them, I'm sure she thinks I'm ruining the flavor etc but my dad likes me adding the Jalapeños, haha.

rocketsjudoka and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

I should have read your post -- UP represent! love it up there.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I watched the video posted by Ottomaton and the dough came across to me as closer to pie dough rather than what I consider dough for Kolaches. I don't think that the dough for Kolaches would still show the crimping after baking like the Paisties did.

From what I remember of both of my grandmothers baking Kolaches

Prune
    Apricot
    Poppyseed
    Cheese (Cottage - Cream)

were the usual fillings. On the cheese Kolaches, extras such as raisins could/would be added.

All four done open faced with only poppyseed also done in an enclosed (stuffed) style.

The enclosed style with meat was referred to as Pigs in a Blanket.

I went and found some Czech web sites with pictures.

https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/in-2015-czech-kolac-is-trendy-worldwide

In the center are Kolaches and in the bottom left could be Kolaches of the enclosed/stuffed style.
    https://www.ceska-stodola.cz/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/stodola08.jpg

https://www.toprecepty.cz/recept/691-kolace/

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Really no worries!

I enjoyed spending summers up there when my parents would take me to visit my my grandparents and extended family, especially when Houston was having a hotter than normal summer (instead of just the normal really hot/humid summer, haha). They all lived in Marquette, MI - I think the funny thing was I was the only family member initially from Texas back then, haha. It was definitely some good times.

Have you been there recently? Sadly I don't think I've been in more than 15 years now.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also the list I made I know is far from definitive and see I should've added a category for "Pasty". Anyway this thread is meant to be fun Hangout food thread so feel free to post about your favorite dough stuffed with savory fillings.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. B-Bob

I was up there about seven years ago. Mrs. B-Bob and I drove from the western shore of Michigan, through the UP, and down to some of her family's roots near Milwaukee. I gave a talk at Marquette. Great trip overall -- little snow near the Makinac (sp) bridge but tons of fall colors everywhere.

I didn't eat any pasties, but I wanted to. :-D I embarrassed Mrs. B-Bob to no end at our cheap but patriotic motel, as I composed "Proud to Stay at Americ-Inn" and recorded it on my phone in the parking lot, with the sign and the flag in the background.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Empanada's and kolaches.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

that is called "Paste" in Mexico, and they were them to Mexico in 1850, also to the mines in Hidalgo, Mexico by british miners.
    Its very delicious, you have sweet paste for dessert (with fruit) and pastes filled with meat for lunch.

Ottomaton likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's really cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great story too! I'm hoping to make it up there again at some point.

One other place to see if you haven't already, is Mackinac Island! It's really neat since there are no cars on the island. Lots of little shops/Grand Hotel and a huge state park preserve. I think the end of summer/early fall is ideal time to visit iirc.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it! Brings back a lot of memories of family trips from Houston to up there.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Kolache has nothing to do with these other things.

14. Buck Turgidson