1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bao, Empanada, Pirogi , Kolache, Samosa or Calzone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, May 21, 2022.

?

What do you like?

1. Bao

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Empanada

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Pirogi

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Kolache

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Samosa

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  6. Calzone

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Pasties" are a traditional Cornish empenada-like thing.

Not sure what Minnesota pasties are like, but I'm pretty sure that's where they got the name. Paistie is a very English working-class-style contraction of the word paistry.

CCity Zero and rocketsjudoka like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's awesome to finally see someone who has had one of these, they're amazing! Usually anytime I'd mention them in Texas, I'd usually find few people who had even heard of them.

Anyway, for everyone else who doesn't know... the pasty is huge mainstay in UP Michigan, here's some more history: https://matadornetwork.com/read/cornish-pasty-upper-michigan-obsessed/

I am extremely lucky since I was born in Texas but my mom could make these homemade since my parents were 1st gen Americans from UP Michigan. When I was growing up I thought everyone knew about these and then I found out that was not the case... Anytime my mom would make these though my friends would line up once they found out how amazing these were.

I am still trying to perfect the recipe she can do, but I have started adding my own twist on it by adding fresh jalapeño. Man! just thinking about that is getting me hungry, haha.

I think the coolest part about this, is how the miners would use them in the mines up there as basically a perfect meal, I think the article I attached details some of it, but pretty neat history.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Blah, I walked away before hitting submit, haha I posted some more about it though...

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep and the UP isn’t that far from the Iron Range. I hear the story also from people who’s families grew up in the Iron range that they were made for miners. Also that they came from recipes from Central Europe.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, absolutely correct.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve had English pasties in the UK and Australia. They are often just called “meat pies”. My guess is that the name in Upper Midwest just came from adopting the English name for that type of food in the US. It wouldn’t surprise me if the original name for them was “Klobasnick”.

FyI I’ve seen Kolaches here in Mn in Czech and Polish bakeries but they are small sweet filled cookies rather than Kolaches seen in Texas.

Ottomaton and CCity Zero like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, that's what's really interesting on kolache, like we use the word wrong like everywhere in Texas like what @Dr of Dunk was saying too.

Here's some history about the city of West, Texas (not actually in west Texas, haha) where Czech immigrants brought over traditional kolaches and then I think klobasniky actually got its start there, again from Czech immigrants: https://texashillcountry.com/difference-kolache-klobasniky/ if you visit West, just make sure you either point to what you want or know that a kolache is actually sweet, just like you mention. I'm not sure if that's like the official timeframe/history but I know the Czech's get credit regardless.

#27 CCity Zero, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Same with the pierogis.

thegary likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Louisiana, especially Natchitoches, has their "meat pies". I took a road trip out to cajun country once and got some. Tasted pretty good (I had the ones with crawfish, naturally). They're basically just empanadas with another name.

When you think about it, empanadas, samosas/sambusas, meat pies, khuushuur, pasties, etc. are all basically similar things with the meat/seasoning changed up to reflect where they are made, and maybe the outer shell/breading a bit different.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’ve had some Vietnamese/French/Cajun Pate Chaud in NOLA that were as good or better than anything On the OP’s list. I’m getting old and starting to repeat myself, but have I ever shared my stupid easy recipe for sausage rolls (what most people call kolaches in Texas)?

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Yeah, I don’t know what those things are in the picture. This is what they should look like:
    upload_2022-5-22_20-1-32.jpeg

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yep that was why I started the thread.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Those are boiled Pirogis but there also are baked ones.

14. thegary

Never had such a thing. They are always boiled. Then, if you like pan fried to crisp them up. Served with any combination of chives, caramelized onions, sour cream or applesauce.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Apparently the Russian kind are baked where as the Polish kind are boiled dumplings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirog

16. thegary

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are like a dozen different styles of Russian meat pies/dumplings and each has a different name, Cheburiki and Pelmeni being a couple of examples.

Also. If you added gyoza to the initial options, it would have been the only acceptable answer.

#37 Ottomaton, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  18. thegary

Point being, the picture posted resembles neither…

19. thegary

Anyway, I live in NYC and we have the Ukrainian/Polish type. **** Russia :)

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Are all those pics the Applebees versions?

the calzone is the superior pocketed treat and Paul’s has the undisputed best calzone in the south.