1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Building] Building a new gaming rig

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fallenphoenix, Jul 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yeah, the Scythe Fuma 2 is definitely a beast. Here's a pic of my rig and you can see how massive the air cooler is.
    [​IMG]

CCity Zero and Dr of Dunk like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that's the part that's frustrating, like all the software needed on some of these (especially if running different brands), I think you have the best advice/approach to try and stick with one brand to cut down on it and make it less bloated and also pick the cooling that you need for your use.

I make my personal builds pretty boring, high performance cooling even on air... , but no exciting RGB stuff or if it's for someone else I let them play with the RGB software later and get it set up on basic settings, I'll do good cable management and even custom io cables if needed depending on their case, but I'm boring at the light stuff and some of the software I've played with for a few minutes is a pita on some of the settings.

Most recently on someone else's system I was helping look over after they did everything without me (their first build too, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting).... iirc the pump was right but he was skipping some of the fans, it was a 360 AIO Corsair, I can't recall exact model but remember playing around with icue afterwards... Anyway, other than leaving him playing with the light stuff we had it running right and benching fine for use so I felt that was good enough.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is that a BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX case?

4. Duncan McDonuts

Yes, it is. I bought that from recommendations on reddit and GamersNexus. It fits everything pretty well for me and I'm happy with the construction. I had to adapt to a glass and mesh design, as well as no slots for optical drives, but nobody uses optical media nowadays anyways. I have an external optical drive that I can connect via USB and a power source if needed.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of windowed cases, either, but nowadays, I really don't care as much. Still don't care for all the LEDs, though. Most of them are done tacky, but there are some that make cases look good. I think my next case is going to be a BeQuiet Silent Base 802. I like the 500DX, though.

6. Duncan McDonuts

I didn't think I'd like RGB LEDs, either, and I bought the case thinking I'd disable them. But I ended up enjoying the lights. It's a nice touch without being too tacky. Since my case is below my desk, it's not distracting, but if I kept my case on the desktop, I'd probably be bothered by the LEDs. I don't remember why I opted for the 500dx over the other models, maybe it was the price to performance gains based on their testing. I cared mostly about quietness with acceptable thermals since I don't plan to overclock anything, aside from RAM speed which I never knew was limited by default (didn't matter for my previous DDR3 1600MHz rig).

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can't remember if it was that one or not, but I think some of those Asus ROG PC's had overheating/cooling issues. After reading and watching about a lot of these prebuilts, I'm wary in some cases. The other thing is the smallish SSD drive and a HDD, but it may not be an issue for some people. If those aren't an issue, then what the heck -- the card itself was selling for that much a few weeks ago. lol.

9. larsv8

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice find! now that mining is fully unlocked on LHR and the cards are available, it'll make like $2 a day! Haha, I know this wasn't about mining etc, but I'm hopeful that all stays down/POS still comes out - and gpu's avoid a perfect storm type situation going forward. That might be wishful thinking but the 30 series definitely isn't going to be a slouch with regards to gaming, even with the 40 series coming out soonish

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only problem with EVGA's site is you'll probably pay another $25 in shipping. Keep an eye on Newegg, too, if you're interested. They had an MSI 12GB 3080 for $810 + free shipping a few days ago. The other option people may want are the price crashes on AMD cards like the 6900 XT and lower. You can get a 6900 XT for $900 now.

Those prices are becoming more common now that the nex-gen is only a few months away. Manufacturers are also about to unveil the new motherboards that support AM5/Ryzen 7000. AsRock is about to show their first AM5 mobo off in a few days. Of course, no telling how buggy or hard-to-get the new stuff will be by the end of the year when they're supposed to be released.

Miners need to die. That is all. :)

CCity Zero and Andre0087 like this.
  12. larsv8

I can't help but think back to 2019 when you could get a baller card in the 5700xt for like $280, because everyone was waiting for the Ampere cards.

Then...it happened....there was a complete shortage, and used 5700xts were going for like $600 on ebay.

Can't always assume cheaper and better is around the corner.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Of course, but it's also an individual choice. If you need a pc now, just get one. If you're not a gamer, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between a pc now and next year with the new platform. If you just want to get the latest and greatest whenever it's out without regard to price or stability, then you probably will buy now and buy in a few months. If you just want to get a higher-performance system and are willing to gamble on availability and a somewhat bug-free experience, then you'll probably wait 4-8 months.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Agreed, haha, POS can't come soon enough.

Great point and price points on cards too!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ryan_98 likes this.
  16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I just want t know if it can run poly-sinc-gauss-xla filter with AMSDM7EC 512+fs modulator at DSD 1024.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

18. larsv8

I'm seeing 6900xts dip under 700$, seems pretty good

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am not a gamer.....how much ram should i be running these days..only got 16gb (two 8 gb sticks). windows ram utilization says 65%.