1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

18pbr, csnerd84 and KingSamJack like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Run

KPJ
    Green
    Eason
    Banchero
    Sengun

This year and see what it looks like. Personally, I think both Green and Sengun end up as slightly above average defenders down the road.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. thekad

thekad Member

So another year of league-worst defense and shooting to hopefully lead to Wembenyama. I’m okay with that.

cbass, KingSamJack and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone says no to shyte defense.

Even he's had enough.

18pbr and Corrosion like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

With Alpy and Paolo, could Eason fit in with them in the starting lineup? No traditional lineup, but tari covering any 3 or 4s which we wouldn't want paolo defending? Same thing paolo taking the weaker defender when he's on offense whether 3 or 4?

18pbr and jacoby like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still no rim protection.

Caesar likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

I see no solution for that without benching Alpy tbh and that'll get a big NO from me.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

How trustworthy is this guy?

red5rocket and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kelly Iko is a Rockets beat writer who was quoting his Rockets FO sources regarding emphasis on defense.

But it might mean Rockets believe Banchero IS an elite defender.

Stone always finds a way to chap my cheeks.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

This guy made this tweet last month, and looking at other tweets he put out he called something days to weeks in advance so he might have some sources.. maybe Banchero is who stone wanted all along and he wants to get Tari to cover for some of his weakness? Maybe we are putting out a few smoke screens in hopes OKC doesn't draft Banchero?

D-rock likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need a veteran to play the starting 3 and for the 17th pick i would draft Walker Kessler to backup Sengun. Also, I would trade Wood and Gordon to get one of charlotte picks for Ousmane Dieng, Jeremy Sochan or Tari Eason

red5rocket likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Funny enough he would be the only rim protector in that lineup

Caesar likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

No denying that playmaking is his best trait.

16. PeppermintCandy

Picking Jabari Smith should be a no-brainer for the Magic.

Chet is a bit of a gamble IMO because of his skinny frame. I can see him having injury issues.
    But if OKC passes on him, Houston would probably be happy to take that gamble.

If both are gone by the third pick, I guess Banchero is the BPA, over Ivey.

I see Banchero becoming a very solid starter in a few years.
    But he doesn't strike me as a potential game-changer, which you'd hope for in a top three pick.

H. Christopher likes this.
  17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I believe Jabari Smit would make every NBA team better right now - and probably for the best of his career he will be able to start for every team and make it better. But I think it will be a long shot for him to become the number 1 option on a contender.

I believe Chet has the best chance of becoming a super star. His combination of size, wingspan, shooting, agility and defensive instincts are more than rare. At the same time he has the biggest bust potential - will he get bullied in the NBA, will teams be able to exploit him off of switches, will he be injury prone?

I believe that Paolo has the best chance of becoming a number 1 option for a contender. He has the full package on offense with a great combination of size, low/high post game, passing and midrange. His biggest question marks are his defense, his 3pt shot (which isn‘t bad at 34% - it just isn‘t good either) and, how good he will be off the ball.

I really don‘t have a true preference anymore. Jabari is the safe pick for me. Chet is high risk high reward pick and Paolo is somewhere in between. I am really glad we got the 3d and not the 4th pick…

D-rock, Shark44 and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's obvious - 20/10 bigs who shoot 40% from 3 don't grow on trees.

Wood's defensive issues are effort related - He CAN defend when he wants to, particularly well on the perimeter.

What he isn't is a rim protector and asking him to be that is unfair to both parties.

I said mid way thru last season that I wanted to see Wood play as the 3(SF) not the 4/5 before we dump him. With Sengun & Banchero (or even Chet) you can do just that and if you don't like the results you trade him at the deadline.

Yes, I think you can play that lineup against some matchups, Eason can defend 1-5 .... Wood can guard wings .... its a matter of effort. The question is who can Sengun guard.

I don't think that's a lineup you can play against every team but one that you can experiment with against bigger front lines.

Not in a traditional sense, the direction the league is heading at the 5 spot is defenders who can switch to multiple positions rather than a traditional rim defender, unless you are very fortunate and find that rare big guy who can make those switches.
    Just watch the playoffs and DPOY Rudy Gobert getting played off the court by some scrub big who can hit corner 3's.

Sengun needs to channel his inner ChuckWagon and learn to protect the rim from the ground ... while also being able to switch to 3's and 4's.

I went back and watched a bunch of tape on Banchero's defense ..... He's actually pretty good when he flips the switch.
    I really like how he fights over the top of screens when defending on the ball .... and he's sneaky good as a weak side defender.
    He was really good at funneling his man to Williams ..... which for the most part was their scheme.

He also has another level when the game is on the line .....

It's all about effort on his part and after listening to a couple recent interviews I think he knows its something he has to change in the NBA.

I think we'll be happy with either Banchero or Chet ....

#398 Corrosion, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    KingSamJack, D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I’m starting to get scared on Chet. His upper body reminds me a bit of Hasheem Thabeet without any kind of muscle.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Or he is trying to play the mind game and have Orlando take Banchero so he can pick Chet or Jabari?

D-rock likes this.