1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Wood make the Suns better?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, May 20, 2022.

1. VoR

VoR Member

Wood, being a stretch big would change Phoenix's dynamics. Ayton takes a lot of games off, I can see why they don't want to give him max.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

James Jones is no idiot. He knows that Wood plays losing basketball.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don‘t really know how college stats translate to the NBA - but 34% from 3 is not „can‘t shoot“. It may not be a strength of his, but it definetly is servicable. And I guess more of his outside shots will be open compared to the shots he took in college. So while the 3pter might now be a weapon of his, I don‘t think you can leave him wide open in the corner. So I believe the „Banchero can‘t shoot the 3“ is an exaggerated narrative. Plus he has a really good shooting form so it is not unreasonable to assume, he can increase his percentage to the 35-36% range.

Denovo, VoR, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wood and lumber - universally needed.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck
    If a wood chuck could chuck wood?
    As much wood as a wood chuck could chu ck,
    If a woodchuck could chuck wood.

6. The geth & the reaper

I know you’re not fond of Wood but Ayton will be the reason they’ll never win a championship. A big who is soft and mediocre on defense who will be on max contract will great hinders the chances of improving the roster. It’s probably the reason they haven’t traded any 1st round picks, they’re saving them in the eventual salary dump of Ayton.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Nabbing a 26 year old 6-10 F who averaged 20 & 10 for the past two years and can hit the 3 seems like the kind of deal Portland needs right now over taking a chance on an inexperienced Rookie. They are liable to lose Lillard after this season so Rookies don't help.

Believe It! likes this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Feels weird to say it but Ayton isn’t on our time table. We can’t START our rebuild by giving a max deal to a guy who’s limitations just got exposed in the playoffs and who isn’t good enough to be a foundational piece. We gotta get foundational guys in and be giving them deals first before we fill in holes. Ayton is a high end roster complement guy NOT a build a roster around guy.

VoR likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean obviously i would be thrilled to get the 7th pick but come on man, be realistic. I’d be thrilled to get the 30th pick

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

If you only get the 30th pick for Wood you've been robbed. I'm not saying we may not need to add a little more to the deal but Wood should definitely have you in the ballpark.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't think we are at the time in our rebuild to sign anyone to a max contract yet. Keep young guys, guys on cheap rookie contracts, that you are developing and then go all in on a max contract when they've improved and the player is right- which isn't Ayton.

FWIW, I actually think the Suns could use Gordon more than Wood

VoR likes this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Real question is would we trade Wood and Gordon for picks and CP3? What if suns want out of his contract?

Also I don't know how this trade works in any scenario as Ayton wants the max and Wood wouldn't even match that salary wise.

I can't believe people watch the nba these days and think we need guys like Gobert and Ayton. What we need is Jae Crowder, Mikal Bridges type players from the suns. Not useless centers who get run off the court in small ball.

13. VoR

VoR Member

CP3 doesn't want to come back to Houston . . . ever.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just saying he may not have a choice. No way he's worth his current contract. Even though he was awesome this year.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

It sounds like a Paul for Wall deal to me.

Stoner, getRdunnn!!

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If they lose Lilliard after this year, rookies are exactly what they need. Unless Lillard is just insanely loyal and doesn’t care about winning a championship he will want out next year regardless. Portland doesn’t have the assets to compete over the next 4 years. They are a team in denial and should be re-building right now.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Second scorer/option to Booker. A player that could get buckets.

VoR likes this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

You mean the jim crane treatment?

When does it start? He's never been bottom half of the league in payroll....

Jontro likes this.
  19. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Yeah where are people coming up with these narratives that aren’t true about banchero lol it’s funny to me

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

If we trade Wood it should be to move up in the draft

I also don’t think they would trade Payne and why would we want ayton?