1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading 3 for 5 + 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, May 18, 2022.

?

Would you take picks 5 and 7 for #3 overall?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. No, let's take Banchero

125 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah but the problem with that is ultimately we dont know how these players will pan out. Doesnt make sense to double down on your pick when you are not sure for example Philly could have ended up with Tatum but they just had to take Fultz at one. So not only do they whiff on a 1st pick they also lose their 1st rounder lol.

For me it is either keep the 3rd or trsde down for more lotto chances. Theres no Luka talent thst just towers over everyone else to justify a move up.

2. Iknako

Iknako Member

İ think Banchero will be better as J. Tatum. Orlando see this situation and first pick will could be P.Banchero.its not to be weird. We can pick Paolo-jabari-chet one of them. İ said that NBA draft gonna be so funny.

randerson likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok but nobody was thinking on spending a top 10 pick on Kispert either. Dude didnt even come to the camp to get measured I'm guessing he is aint even 6'8 probably 6'6 or even 6'5 without shoes. Keegan may be vastly superior to Kispert but since Kispert is a scrub that doesnt matter much, doesnt it?

Murray led the Big 10 but thats something he's supposed to do cuz he is a junior and a lot more advanced than his peers. Didnt Luke Garza win bball player of the year last year? Thats what seniors are supposed to do they supposed to put up stats and win the awards.

If you think he is desmond bane or Dywane Wade 2.0 ok but I'm glad Rox arent the one picking him in the top 10. 22 yr old 6'8 (at best) pf is ok in college but will likely struggle in the NBA. Unless he is willing to Daymond it up and be a role.player or something maybe that'll be his niche.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You realize Luka was picked 3rd in a draft where people like you generally agreed their was no superior talent at the top of the draft right?

REALLY weak argument.

5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Murray was a true sophomore. Same as Ivey or Davis.

Davion Mitchell was a 22 year lottery pick. Murray showed a lot of development from year 1 to year 2... Noone expected him to be this good. His potential isn't tapped out because he is turning 22 in September he his just a late bloomer(Butler, Tucker, Lowry... Pretty much the entire Heat roster).

D-rock and Milos like this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

Whew where to begin ...

I didn't compare Kispert to Murray, you did
    I never thought the comparison had any merit, so I guess we now agree here ..?

Murray is neither a junior ... or a senior
    He is a sophomore just completing his second full season of college ball
    Like Ivey, Mathurin and about half the other top 30 prospects

No, I do not think he is Wade or Bane
    They both play SG
    Keegan can play SF or PF depending on matchup but will never log a second of action in the backcourt

Malone, Barkley, McHale are 3 examples (among many others) of 6'8" and under PFs who dominated their way to MVPs, Titles and the HoF

Draymond is a multiple All-Star, DPoY, 3rd star of a dynasty with multiple rings
    A playmaking PG version of Dennis Rodman who may go down as the best defender of his era at his position
    (and 6'7" at best)
    If Keegan becomes anything close to that, he will be a home run of a #5 pick

Are you alright?
    Kinda worried

D-rock and Ekiu like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Extremely unlikely Thunders would trade their 2nd pick for our 3rd since they have so much 1st round picks. Anyone think Magic would trade their 1st for our 3rd and 17th pick?

That's a more interesting idea than trading down for a 5th + 7th

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Going into next season they have 3 locks in the starting lineup:

Wendell Carter Jr
    Mo Bamba
    Franz Wagner

Their backcourt situation is a bit hazy considering Suggs was recently selected really high in the draft but can't score, Cole Anthony can score but is a volume scorer, Fultz just came back from injury but looked very good in limited minutes. This doesn't even factor in Jonathan Isaac returning to the team next season.

I think one of two things could happen:

1. They take Chet #1 and put Carter and/or Bamba on the trading block. Carter's contract is a solid deal, about $11 million per season until 2026. Bamba's due for an extension this summer and, if they can't get it done, he'll be Ayton'd into RFA next summer. I think they'd try to trade Bamba this offseason rather than giving him an extension. Isaac, if he can come back healthy, would immediately go into the starting lineup with Chet and Carter.

2. They like their front lineup of Bamba/Carter/Wagner and Isaac and would trade down to get Ivey or Sharpe to strengthen their small backcourt. This would probably be where Stone steps in and offers Orlando the 3rd and 17th pick but probably also Milwaukee's 1st in 2023. I wouldn't be mad at that (given how low that Bucks' pick will most likely be).

One crazy ass hypothetical (probably belongs in the random trade thread)

1. Orlando trades us the 1st pick and we trade them the 3rd/17th and Milwaukee's pick.
    2. They extend and trade Mamba to us at the tune of 4/$80 million and we send them Eric Gordon

Stone zigs and takes Jabari Smith 1st overall, giving Houston a hugeass front court of Mamba, Sengun, and Jabari. Sengun now has two bigs that can both defend (covering up his weakness) but also space the floor out on offense with their perimeter shooting.

ElPigto and rhee like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would do this as well.

Losing opportunity for Wembanyana and Henderson but that opportunity would have been slight to begin with anyway.

Your plan is both strategic and proactive.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would still take Paolo at #3 but your argument to take Keegan is well articulated and very convincing.

Milos and jdiggidy like this.
  11. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

I like Jaden but to risk not getting any of the bigs and possibly not even Jaden. I do not see the value in getting 5 and 7 unless Jaden falls to 5.

I think the questions goes back to what is being posted on how things shake out. Personally FOR THE ROCKETS I rank the bigs as follows:
    1. Jabari
    2. Paolo
    3. Chet

The question is whether or not the unicorn at 3 will really pan out in the NBA or will he be an even skinnier Porzingis that has fallen WAY short of Dirk status.

Gotta say I am still content with any of the bigs and shaping the rest of the roster from there.

SIDENOTE- Would consider an Ayton trade that included Wood if that were on the table. Then I would feel way more comfortable having both Chet and Alfie on this squad.

Damn we do need some defense though. Apologies for spraying the thread!

Milos likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do Rockets have win now type of player worthy of #7?

13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Only team I can see the blazer trading with is the pistons for grant.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

does portland do Wood+EGO+17?

Murray falls to 7.... KPJ/Green/Murray/Banchero/Sengun and death lineup of KPJ/Green/Murray/KMJ/Banchero

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

DF6D88B1-B591-4046-B68E-8A1F893DE7AF.jpeg

CarlosGM, Dankstronaut, rhee and 2 others like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2022-5-20_18-45-14.gif

18. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Damn, I wish the Roxs got the #1 pick, but I would not get cute, & would take the top 3- Jab, Chet, or PB.

csnerd84 and D-rock like this.
  19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Wall, Wood, Gordon, take them all

D-rock likes this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Nope . Next

whag00 likes this.