1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes, and? That doesn't change the fact that there were laws against abortions, that there were laws in English common law against abortions, and that the existence of both obviously disproves any notion that the Constitution protected a right to abortion. Did you think this was the winning argument?

For decades there was the death penalty for abortions after "quickening" (and lesser penalties before quickening, don't get too excited about that cutoff). Do you think they just forgot for a hundred years that those women had a Constitutional right to abortion? That somehow everyone remembered in 1973?

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Doesn't this argument presume that we must adhere to an "originalist" interpretation of the Constitution? That's where the disagreement is. Should the inability of judges of the time to consistently interpret principles enshrined in the Constitution while being a product of a manifestly racist and sexist society constrain how judges today interpret those principles? If Congress was not so dysfunctional, I'd be more willing to accept this stance and arguments that new interpretations should instead be converted to Constitutional amendments.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think this is mostly a dishonest discourse here. Abortion is very wrong for these people and they will interpret it in any manner to make it so. This is simply pushing one own (extremely likely religious) view onto others. "Originalist" is just an excuse to cover religious zealots.

Republicans have proposed laws that criminalize abortions that could carry the death penalty.

5. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

https://www.americanprogress.org/ar...-history-of-abortion-and-contraception-right/

Abortion wasn't even challenged for it's legality until 1821 in the United States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...dal-led-nations-first-abortion-law-years-ago/

#925 RocktheCasbah, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah Member

#926 RocktheCasbah, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

We should mass sterilize men.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm pretty pissed off by this ruling and I think women should be able to make their own decision up to the point a fetus become viable outside the womb, but I really hate articles like this that twist words to suit a narrative. This is what he said.

He is saying African Americans have higher incidence of maternal mortality across the country, and they are no different. However Lousiana has one of the highest black populations in the US, which skews the numbers.

That being said, Louisiana is still a shithole.

ROCKSS, mdrowe00, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

“for whatever reason”

ha, MFer please

In 2005, the Institute of Medicine—a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization that now calls itself the National Academy of Medicine (NAM)—released a report documenting that the poverty in which black people disproportionately live cannot account for the fact that black people are sicker and have shorter life spans than their white complements. NAM found that “racial and ethnic minorities receive lower-quality health care than white people—even when insurance status, income, age, and severity of conditions are comparable.” By “lower-quality health care,” NAM meant the concrete, inferior care that physicians give their black patients. NAM reported that minority persons are less likely than white persons to be given appropriate cardiac care, to receive kidney dialysis or transplants, and to receive the best treatments for stroke, cancer, or AIDS. It concluded by describing an “uncomfortable reality”: “some people in the United States were more likely to die from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes simply because of their race or ethnicity, not just because they lack access to health care.”

Scores of studies buttress NAM’s findings by documenting that providers are less likely to deliver effective treatments to people of color when compared to their white counterparts—even after controlling for characteristics like class, health behaviors, comorbidities, and access to health insurance and health care services. For example, one study of 400 hospitals in the United States showed that black patients with heart disease received older, cheaper, and more conservative treatments than their white counterparts. Black patients were less likely to receive coronary bypass operations and angiography. After surgery, they are discharged earlier from the hospital than white patients—at a stage when discharge is inappropriate. The same goes for other illnesses. Black women are less likely than white women to receive radiation therapy in conjunction with a mastectomy. In fact, they are less likely to receive mastectomies. Perhaps more disturbing is that black patients are more likely to receive less desirable treatments. The rates at which black patients have their limbs amputated is higher than those for white patients. Additionally, black patients suffering from bipolar disorder are more likely to be treated with antipsychotics despite evidence that these medications have
    long-term negative effects and are not effective.

oh wait, here’s another…

Racial disparities are particularly striking in pain treatment, Trawalter said, with studies showing that Black patients are significantly less likely to be prescribed pain medication and that they generally receive lower doses of it when they are. One possible reason for this, supported by existing studies, is that white people believe Black people experience less pain.

and the stories I have heard regarding the difference in treatment for Covid

the racial disparity in healthcare is a known thing that exists

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not so crazy, really. Now, I don't know if PEPCO is actually running any electric generation on hospital incinerators in DC. But, we can and do generate electricity by burning biomass to turn a turbine. We even call it green (controversially) because those things were going to be burned anyway and by capturing some of that released energy to make electricity we're being slightly less wasteful about it. There is also particular interest in doing biomass generation at hospital incinerators because we feel that burning that material is especially necessary to avoid spreading pathogens. So, if DC is incinerating aborted fetuses because its biohazard medical waste, and if they are generating biomass electricity at hospital incinerators, then sure, we're running the lights on aborted fetuses. I guess that sounds bad, but I don't think it is bad.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

Doctors are in general incredibly arrogant....... and women and minorities are not listened to of paid attention to like white males.... it is especially bad for black people. It isn't something a doctor walks into the room planning on doing, but it is an inherent bias that impacts people.

rockbox likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The general disrespect that black people receive and how it affects their general attitude (I don't blame them), that is part of the issue. I was sitting next to a black couple on the plane yesterday, and they made a comment that I was the nicest seatmate I've had in a while. I did nothing special other than reaching for stuff that they couldn't reach and getting up to let them go to the bathroom( I like the aisle). I just thought to myself that average people must be real assholes.

15. Nook

Nook Member

As people, especially entitled people, we tend to see the world through our own lens. However, yeah if you really pay attention you can see where other people are not treated fairly. It is very obvious for women..... they are treated very differently by some men.... and I have seen it with black people. Almost every person that is treating a group of people differently deny they are doing it, and I am concluded it is subconscious in many instances.... why it is important to be aware and for it to be discussed. It does appear to be somewhat better with younger people than even people my age (40).

B-Bob, mdrowe00 and rockbox like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do they want a state with just men in it?
    Like... the 1980's Montrose but with boudin and crawfish? :confused:

Andre0087, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

they keep passing laws like this, and Louisiana will definitely become a sausage fest

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#939 J.R., Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  20. Screaming Fist

This is all on RBG and the dems as far as i'm concerned. Republicans have been wanting to do this since Roe was issued, getting mad at them is like getting mad at a pit bull for biting your child - what did you expect? One side plays to win and the other side plays to fundraise and make money for consultants and other remora.

Rocket River likes this.