1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Duncan only played 5 near the end when they had Kwahi. When they had young Parker/Ginobli, he was absolutely a 4. Also, Otis was most definitely our #2 option after Dream.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I've said repeatedly that I think Bancharo can be a great player on a bad team, just like KG ...until he was surrounded by two perimeter scorers.

jacoby likes this.
  3. krosfyah

Otis avg 14ppg.

I don't have the analytics on where he played but it was pretty fluid between 4 or 5. Anyway, I'm conceding that one.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Which is completely laughable because KG would have also been a great player on a great team. ALL bigs should be surrounded by at least 1 perimeter scorer, which is why your assertion that only Ivey is special whereas the others are not is a big head scratcher. This includes our very own Dream. There are way more NBA champions that had a wing/big as their top options compared to a stacked back court.

jacoby, Ekiu and D-rock like this.
  5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

That is my opinion and will gladly put a big tip to the jar if he fails so I’m really high on this dude. Who’s victor ?

6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

D-rock likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I advocate taking the BPA based on who I believe to be the BPA, but in a world where the BPA is a guy that isn't likely to ever be good enough to earn a starting spot over the guys the team currently has, I'd pass for someone just under that who actually fits with the team.

8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Man if we got the #2 pick non of this "we should take Jaden Ivey" talks would be happening right now.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that's true though. From what it seems, the Ivey people are just gung ho for undersized SG's, they'd probably want him #1 overall.

10. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I remember last year people wanted to pass on Green and draft "Jaden Hardy" because he looks like an elite shooter like Steph curry.. then he proceed to be even worse then green in the g league.

D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  11. krosfyah

Then that isn't BPA. So if you don't want to pick BPA, that is fine. Just admit it.

Or if you believe Bancharo is a better player that Ivey, that's cool too. Just admit that.

But you want your cake and eat it too. You want to say that Bancharo is a better fit but he may not be the BPA. That's the rub.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. krosfyah

I never said that you always take bigs over guards.

Here is my personal draft order

1: Chet
    2: Ivey
    3: Bancharo
    4: Smith

Notice I have a big at #1. I am simply saying that I don't have a bias towards taking a big over a guard, which is what I think a lot of folks seem to hold onto. Having a guard heavy roster, if they are good, is just fine. I don't take a big in the draft at #3 because they are a better fit.

Take the BPA. Period. My personal opinion, and I could be proven wrong, is Ivey is better than Smith and Bancharo.

jcmoon likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're trying to make a complicated thing too basic.

Are there 3 better prospects than Ivey IMO? Absolutely, but if someone makes a case for Ivey, that's fine because I don't think he's that far behind them. Unfortunately for him though, we drafted a guy who plays his exact position, who plays the exact same style.....only is bigger and is better at literally everything.

So do I want BPA? Absolutely based on who I perceive to be BPA, but I wouldn't want to go BPA if the person perceived to be BPA was a homeless man's Jalen Green and there was a big man of comparable value available.

BPA only works when your team doesn't already have a better version of that player on the team already.

mikenm268 likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly. People tend to distort BPA when it fits their narrative.

krosfyah likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

So what

Everyone here is just talking basketball. NBA teams have millions of dollars trying to find the best players in the draft and still get it wrong.

ilovehtownbb and D-rock like this.
  16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Duncan was playing the C. Even when the box score put him in PF. He's actually playing C.

krosfyah likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Those of us that like Ivey on this team are not just Yahoo's that don't know much
    about basketball. Here Ivey is rated #1 on NBADraftNet big board and scored 99

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaden-ivey/

Read the evaluation (strengths/weaknesses)

with #17 add defending big to go along with Garuba presence

Most of us that see Ivey doing well next to Jalen "Freakin" Green also see Porter
    sliding over to SF without hiccups.

Porter was SF with Cavs (non facilitator) [ Peanut Butter]...PG with Rockets
    (as facilitator) [ Jelly ] >>>>>>>>>>> we just going to move him back to
    SF/facilitator [ Peanut Butter and Jelly ]

Jaden and Jalen keep on keeping on as combo guards sharing the wealth
    with Porter

jcmoon and ilovehtownbb like this.
  18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Yeah no ****

KPJ/green have already shown they could be a high powered backcourt. Our forward position is embarrassing with to 6’5 players in Tate and KMJ

I literally do not understand the brain function of individuals who think it would be better to waste a pick on another guard, who hasn’t proven ****, rather than the dominant forward we have been chasing for over a decade

literally baffles me. Ivey stats in college weren’t good enough to spend a 3 pick on him when we have much more severe needs in terms of winning

if you want to waste a 3rd pick on Ivey I don’t think you understand basketball

19. xaos

xaos Member

Lol ok

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

That would be me.

I was wrong but still say Hardy is better player than he showed with Ignite.

But as you can see, this draft is loaded with guards as most drafts are.

KingSamJack and ilovehtownbb like this.