1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1/4 combo? Who the heck is the 1 in that equation? Green is a 2 while if we draft any of the projected top 3 would be a 4 or 5. If we are ACCURATELY talking about a wing and a big winning championships (which is what Green + Jabari/Chet/Banchero would be), then NBA history has far more of those than any other combo, definitely way more than the 1/2 combo that you are advocating for.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think exact position can be a bit fluid, with Chet and Sengun, I'd probably still play Sengun as more of a C and Chet as more of a PF based on their skillsets. It would look weird due to Chet's size, but I think that's how it would work best.

It's interesting to see certain people so down on Sengun despite how amazing he was last year. He's still only 19 years old and he was one of the best defenders on the team last season....and he's likely to get stronger as he grows up.

Honestly the main things Sengun needs to focus on are strength and his 3 ball and he'll be set.

Bo6, arabrocket and Rocket85 like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Only somewhat agree with you about “gutting” the team. We don’t have enough. Just plain and simple. Several projects and experiments. Undersized. Lack of talent, all these things characterize this team. The team obviously isn’t where it needs to be and need a major renovation. I am excited to see what the next iteration is for this team.

xaos likes this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Nobody will know who will be better.

krosfyah likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....and you're pushing for a guy who wouldn't be good enough to be a starter on that team that barely won 20 games. Who wouldn't be good enough to beat out either guard on that team at any point during his rookie contract.

So maybe we keep some perspective here.

I get it, people love flashy fast transition and ISO dunks and that's basically 100% of Ivey's game, but we already have 2 players who do that better....and who can do more than that. It just doesn't make sense.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I haven't either. Here is how I look at it... You can make respectable arguments of BPA for of Banchero/Chet/Ivey/Jabari. With that being the case, fit does come into the picture as you want to also put the player in an environment that best utilizes them as they develop. For us, that is a big that can play alongside Green.

I am not sold on KPJ/JC/Nix or Sengun. I do know what we have in at least KPJ however and we have a pretty good idea of what we have right now with JC and Sengun. So again, the question becomes which is better for us long term; Green+Ivey+Sengun or KPJ+Green+Banchero/Chet/Jabari+Sengun? For me, I lean towards the latter significantly more.

xaos likes this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I don't see Sengun being our long term starter, I think he is a good back up big. I want Jabari or Banchero and hopefully get victor next year.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Sorry, I went on a tangent. We are not talking about PGs. It just occurred to me that there have been several amazing 1/4 combos, but they never seem to win a championship. But that's a different topic.

What I was saying is there are not many examples of a 4 that led a team to a championship if they were the #1 or #2 option on their team. Charles Barkley is another that comes to mind. I'm just not sold on a ball dominant PF such as Bancharo.

Giannis is certainly an exception ...but he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. He's an all-world defender, which Bancharo is not, and otherwise impacts the game all over the place. ...and just for fun Giannis was drafted #15, not #3. So nobody anticipated he was going to be a franchise player.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell, but he had one hell of a rookie season and he's only 4 months older than Bancharo and he's younger than Chet, Ivey, or Jabari.

It's absolutely valid that his current level of development may never progress, and in that situation he'd be more of a backup, but that's the case for literally everyone in the draft.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I rate Ivey just behind Banchero. I like Ivey better than Smith but it would absolute ensure that we would have another tank-a-thon year since we'd have 4 YOUNG guards on the roster that all need minutes.

KingSamJack likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you do have arguably the greatest 4 of all time in Tim Duncan that would probably disagree with you, Kevin Garnett might too.

12. krosfyah

So you don't advocate taking the BPA?

You keep saying Ivey is worse than Green and KPJ but he hasn't dribbled the ball once yet. Kobe sat on the bench his entire rookie season, right? That worked out above average.

13. xaos

xaos Member

That's all fair. I think fundamentally we agree on a lot of things. I think I joined the chat originally because someone said the dumbest thing we could do is draft Ivey which is the thing I completely disagreed with but I am open to be convinced otherwise

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am guessing you forgot about the following:
    • Maverick: Dirk (#1, most recent and very poor defense)
    • Celtics: KG (#1-3)
    • Spurs: Duncan (#1)
    • Lakers: Paul Gasol (#2)
    • Rockets: Otis Thorpe (#2)

15. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Mind sharing why you think Ivey is better than Smith or Banchero?

Is it what you project him to be? You would be drafting him as an athlete with hopes to develop his ball skills. Right now if you compared him to say Dennis Smith Jr. DSJ was farther along.

Was it what he did this past season at Purdue?

The team greatly underachieved, they had talent, depth and experience and came away with nothing.
    He was outplayed by Johnny Davis in a game to grab a share of the B1G title.

Against St. Peter, Painter literally played a perimeter based attack... Ivey was given the game to shine, they didn't lean on their bigs that game, I was confused as to why when they started to lose their lead. Probably because Purdue guards were supposed to be far superior.

Ivey flamed out in spectacular fashion.

I can't imagine the narrative if Banchero/Chet/Jabari flamed out like that vs St. Peter's.

This isn't the NFL you don't just draft athletes over blue chip prospects. Unless that athlete is some 7fter with Iverson quickness a 45" vert.

#235 Ekiu, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  16. krosfyah

touché. I was trying to think of some which is why I asked. I was sure there were some examples.

That said, Duncan played 5 most of the time esp as he got older.

I'd argue Garnett actually helps my point. He could never win on his own until later when he was combined with one of the greatest trios of all time.

17. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I see sengun as a future starter and possibly an all star in the future

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

That is just your Homer glasses. Victor will be 100% better.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

How can you even make that argument with a straight face when he played for the Timberwolves, which was and typically has been one of the crappiest franchises? The only reason they were decent back then was because KG dragged them to wins kicking and screaming.

20. krosfyah

Yea, I did. Solid list.

Dirk, yes.
    Spurs, Duncan started at 5 most of the time.
    KG, he couldn't win by himself. On the Celtics, he was probably #3 option.
    Lakers, yep, concede that one.
    Rockets? Uh, Otis Thorpe was not the #2 option on that team. That team had a #1 option and the other four were #2. :D

That said, Bancharo is not in the mold of Duncan or Gasol.

In that list, he might be closest to Dirk ...a ball dominant PF that can shoot. So maybe there is hope if we take him. ;)