1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Celebrity "it" factor is not great reason to draft a player.

Pick should be made based on talent, production, potential and even fit before charisma.

Only the truly ignorant FO draft for flash over substance.

thekad, sealclubber1016 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Do you think the shooters would be better in Milwaukee if Paolo is commanding that the defense collapse every time he drives? How much of AJ Griffin's success had to do with Paolo taking away almost all of the defensive attention and having him resort to 3 point duty? Patrick Baldwin just ended up being worse than everyone thought. He had a dismal vertical leap at the combine if I remember correctly.

It's what @JayGoogle said. We can argue fit and whether or not he develops defensively. Just like I can argue the same for Chet offensively or Jabari ever developing a game off the dribble. But we were talking about this very guy a year ago, he has performed above expectations and now we have a contingent thinking that we should pass on him for.....who? Sharpe? Ivey? Murray?

Take Paolo. Build around him and Green. Or if Smith is there then do that.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Which NBA Team Needs a Big Offseason?

You want to talk trades? I think Houston is in an interesting position. The Rockets have some interesting pieces. Jalen Green is going to be a great scorer. Alperen Sengun has the potential to be a long-term starter. That’s a team that badly needs some quality veterans. What do you think the Rockets should do?

Beck: Wait, so the Kings should keep their pick and hope they can make a run at the play-in, but the Rockets should suddenly go all-in? I don’t think Houston is there yet. Not even close. Jalen Green is emerging as a great scorer and maybe even a star, but he’s still really young. The Rockets aren’t ready to make a big leap. They just started this teardown two years ago. They can afford to be patient. Keep the pick, draft Paolo Banchero or Chet Holmgren, see how another year of development goes for Green, Sengun and Kevin Porter Jr. If it all goes badly, another trip to the lottery wouldn’t be the worst thing.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/20/nba-offseason-blazers-thunder-kings-rockets

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

JC should be mentioned more in the rebuild. I see him as a do it all guy off the bench.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

I do think this team needs Williams, Duren, Eason or Sochan in the worst way. Just not sure any of those 4 are available at 17. Is there a trade partner there at 10-14 like there was last year?

raining threes, xaos and D-rock like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Do I think the shooters around Poalo at the university of Milwaukee would shoot over
    40% if Poalo was the number 1,2 and 3 option....
    Hell No!!!!

Do I think Tate, Sengun, Kenyon become better shooters if Poalo is a Rocket? No

I saw them left open all season. I even commented how scared Tate was to shoot when left wide open vs Denver. Tate was open in the right corner....dove to the basket....Eric Gordon whipped the pass to Tate at corner......Tate snagged the bullet pass....Jokic blocked Tate attempt.

End of discussion.

The defenders of Tate, Sengun and Kenyon are going to clog the lane so that Banchero has no room to operate.

As I said before, key on Banchero driving right because
    it's easy to see he doesn't like driving left. Help defender ready to step up from the left.
    Nobody can truly guard anybody in the NBA one on one.

Is there any more open than "Wide Open".... somehow Banchero creates better wide open shots than other
    wide open shots. Amazing how delusional people can get.

#1546 ApacheWarrior, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    raining threes likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Charlotte. They got what we want (#13 or #15) and we got what they need (Wood). The risk here is that the two teams before them at 11 and 12 are in need of a big as well. New York could take Duren at 11 and OKC could nab Williams at 12.

Losmi_34, xaos and D-rock like this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Why so emotional? It's just basketball discussion not politics. Funny how you mentioned Tate, Martin and Sengun but didn't mention Green and KPJ. The two guys that would actually be open in this scenario. Gotta keep moving around those goal posts I guess.

Not even sure what your argument is. That Paolo, the consensus #1 along with Chet is a product of...Dukes amazing shooters? That's why he looks good and not because he's just always done this no matter where he's been? What's your point?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Promising young kid defenders.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Because we oftened had Tate (PF), Kenyon (SF) and people talking about axing Wood....Sengun shot 40% for his first 25 games but then 20-something % there after.

If it's true that Banchero elevates the 3-pt shooting of others....why did Roach shoot 32%
    and Trevor Keels 31% from 3? Oh let me guess, they
    would have shot 10% from 3 if not for Banchero.
    Jabari would have shot 50% from 3 if he had AJ Green and Wendell Moore flanking him.

I'm not emotional.....just passionate about basketball. Eat.Drink.Live

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

JayGup szn will be upon us.

red5rocket likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Again....what's your point as it pertains to Paolo? Because you're implication to me seems to be that Paolo's penetration and production are a product of Duke's shooters and not because he's just the most talented offensive player in this draft by a mile.

If Paolo played in Milwaukee, his production probably would've been better (at least his point totals) and Milwaukee would've definitely been a better team.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Extreme hyperbole, he’s not the most talented offensive player in this draft.
    He’s super inefficient high volume, yes.
    Handles are good for a big guy, but shot is average and blow by ability is ok, specially for a big guy.

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

@D-rock I am just happy with any of the big three, if this rehearsal draft was real would would be picking #5.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

I see youre at it again this year, trying to draft the safest player possible... Wrong with Mobley, wrong on Paolo....

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hollinger just threw a wrench into this dang thing.

I hope he's right. :D

KingSamJack likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets went with the analytics darling then Mobley would have been the pick last draft.

That's why Stone's talk about focusing on defense in this draft is nice but not conclusive.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Pistons were absolute garbage again. In fact, shocker, every team in Banchero drafting range was garbage. His comment about fit made no sense. But I’ve seen a few mocks that take shots at the Rockets so it’s par for the course.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Same, if Jabari goes 1 and Bancharo goes 2, you jump on Chet in a heartbeat.

BigM and D-rock like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Guppin szn

cheke64 and steddinotayto like this.