1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Hornacek and Will Weaver - NOT returning for 2022-23 season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 17, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Crap, that is too many, good call, he can't coach here then.

;)

Who cares what mythology he follows the guy can flat out coach!

DD

xiki likes this.
  2. PWR

PWR Member

It wouldn't shock me if he did say that. I'm sure he sees how entitled and out of control some of these goofy NBA players are (looking at KPJ). He won't put up with any b.s. from NBA players, which is why he would be perfect for the culture we need to build. He left the Las Vegas Aces last year after a playoff run, and now he's available. I think he left because he wants to be back in the NBA. Bring in the Bad Boy.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, my grandparents had a small spread between Palestine and Elkhart. Used to go into Palestine to eat Wednesday night dinner at a catfish place. Those boys in Palestine are indeed tough and none more than those goat-roper ranching kids.

4. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Having gone to school in Jacksonville for a year I got that reference. I wonder how many else will without looking it up.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who is Abdul Fattah???

Vipers HC is named Mahmoud Abdelfattah.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

CXbby, DreamShook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3323699/2022/05/20/houston-rockets-draft-combine/

• The Athletic reported this week on a Rockets shakeup, with assistant coaches Will Weaver and Jeff Hornacek not returning for the 2022-23 season. During a rebuild, changes like this are not out of the norm. As of now, there is no immediate rush to fill the positions. There’s enough time to survey the landscape and figure out which candidates best fit the profile the Rockets want. As stated earlier, defense is a priority. Another important determining factor is a commitment to player development. There were some initial whispers of Houston attempting to lure former assistant and defensive guru Jeff Bzdelik back, but it’s understood he is no rush to return to the sidelines and is enjoying his time away from the game. Bzdelik last served in the NBA with the New Orleans Pelicans in 2020.

One name to watch, however, is Rio Grande Valley Vipers head coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah. Sources told The Athletic that he is considered a strong candidate for one of the open assistant jobs. Abdelfattah is coming off a G League Finals win and has great relationships with Silas and the organization. Thursday’s scene at Wintrust Arena featured Chuck Hayes, Silas, Abdelfattah and Ed Pinckney watching scrimmages, with general manager Rafael Stone and assistant GM Eli Witus making the rounds. Abdelfattah has been with the franchise dating back to the days of Mike D’Antoni and is highly respected by members of the Rockets and Vipers. “There’s great communication between me and the coaching staff up in Houston, between me and the front office,” he told me last month. “And they provide as much support as we need in order to be successful.”

• There’s another name the Rockets should consider: Sacramento’s Stacy Augmon. But it should be noted that this comes with a caveat. (This is also me purely using logic.) The caveat being Houston’s long-term commitment to forward Christian Wood.

Augmon currently works in player development with the Kings, having served under Luke Walton and Alvin Gentry, both of whom are no longer coaching the team. It’s unclear if Mike Brown, the Kings’ newly hired head coach, will retain Augmon.

So why Augmon? And why Houston? There’s an incredible amount of love and respect between Wood and Augmon. It was then-assistant Augmon who recruited Wood to UNLV nearly a decade ago, with Wood from Long Beach, Calif., and Augmon from Pasadena, Calif. One source close to both men stressed Wood’s adoration for Augmon and believes Augmon can help Silas and lead assistant John Lucas get the very best out of him. The Athletic understands Augmon made it a point to speak with Wood some time following the Jan. 1 outburst, where Wood refused to sub into the game against the Denver Nuggets and was subsequently benched. The Rockets were in Sacramento for a pair of road games Jan. 14-16. Again, Augmon’s candidacy depends on if Houston is all in on Wood as part of the team’s long-term core.

Rashmon, Amel, pippendagimp and 5 others like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Would be down for the plastic man but not at the cost of retaining Wood

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I could never get behind Hornacek. He’s an all time rival player that I hated. Never liked seeing him on the bench

Abedelfattah seems like a good hire to me. Could take over for Silas when he’s ready

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

lets be real. Hiring a jazz player jinxed the rockets. chip confirmation for next season. we did it.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who is this Abdul Fattah guy you are talking about?

Also, have you guys heard they may be adding Coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah to the Rockets coaching staff this year? He coached the Vipers.

D-rock likes this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

bringing back Bzdelik would be weird. great defensive coach for sure, but his commitment to the team and to basketball in general was sorely lacking in his last couple seasons. I'm not sure that's the right personality around guys who also seem to quit on the team from time to time like wood (although I hope he's not on the opening roster) and KPJ. why not look at Lionel Hollins who Morey tried to hire to replace coach B? the lakers assistants are looking for jobs right now. Phil Handy is another lakers assistant we can look at. he was on the bench during the raptors and lakers championships. coach exceptional defensive teams. Erman from the Knicks. Dan Burke from the Sixers. both known for their defense as well.

I'm going to say yes to abdelfattah. we should've promoted nurse to the rockets staff when they had the chance. should've held onto finch too. move this guy up while we can. I think he and Silas can bring some interesting new ideas.

augmon is interesting but I'd rather not commit to wood long term. and I'm not sure who he's developed over with the kings. I'm also not sure why they feel they need a development coach. Silas spend 20 years developing talent, Lucas probably double that, abdelfattah is one of the best coaches in the development league. so I think that should be covered... and if it isn't then they need to reassess Silas and Lucas' roles here.

next year's staff should be Silas, abdelfattah first assistant, defensive coach, reduce Lucas' role back to 4th coach from second.

Rashmon and saleem like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Offer Bzdelik the HC spot if necessary.

Lucas and Abdelfattah can run the offense AND player development.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This what I'm talking!! Get Abdelfattah and JVG.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

DeSagana Diop leaving to be the Knicks G League head coach

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

wonder why they are getting rid of all assistant coaches but leaving SIlas

D-rock likes this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member