1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey Will Be The Pick, I Guarantee It!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 19, 2022.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Some busty guards in the past 6 drafts:

2021: Suggs. I still think he can be a Marcus Smart type of player in that he'll eventually find his offense to match his defense but he definitely did not start out of the gate all that great. Davion Mitchell gets an honorable mention here.
    2020: Killian Hayes though I think most draft experts at the time thought this was a reach by Detroit
    2019: Coby White is looking to be headed for solid contributor at best role
    2018: Kevin Knox
    2017: Fultz due to hype vs expectation. Frankie Smokes. Dennis Smith Jr.
    2016: Kris dunn

jiggyfly, hakeem94 and Stephen_A like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Jury still out on mitchell. Remember he didn’t start until later in the season after Haliburton and Heild got traded. He played pretty well when he starts. I just don’t get why Kings traded Haliburton and not Fox who is the same player as Mitchell.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I am pretty sure I’ve heard him say it a couple of times on Spaces.

4. steddinotayto

I think it's because Fox is the more marketable / flashier player. Did he average something like 29 ppg after the Hailburton trade? Yes but they went like 5-11 in that span post-trade. Their owner is a hot mess.

Stephen_A likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not if they're trying to build a team they can win with.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

So many guards...

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Its baffling what Kings are doing. They kept drafting guards even after having fox and heild. And some boards have them taking ivey this year lol.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You guys really dont like Nix. You should though.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If we get Ivey you have to ship out KPJ and our 17th pick for Duren or another big in the first round.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

From a fit POV, I think you can slide Porter to the 3 spot and have Ivey and Green in the backcourt. Team chemistry/morale wise, however, we don't know how Porter would react if his role changes from primary ball handler to basically a 3&D guy.

jcmoon likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s why in my opinion the rockets come to terms to why kpj is not right piece to a puzzle most likely. If you want to win a championship he would likely be your 5-7 best player. Which means you need more talent and if he can’t handle being around said talent then he needs to go to bad to middling teams and make his money if he mature enough to do that and have a lengthy career.

Stephen_A and steddinotayto like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He's good, but he has a long way to go.

Stephen_A likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im interested in seeing what he can do. I think given more minutes he could produce more especially with some playing time experience this past year. In the games where he played major minutes and I think he started a couple when KPJ went down he looked really poised and good at times. I thought last few games he played too passive and deferred too much to KPJ and Green. He will learn. He will be better.

coachbadlee, red5rocket and saleem like this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If I have to choose between Chet and Ivey, I would Ivey

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong.

DD

ROXTXIA likes this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"If Jaden Ivey is wrong........then I don't wanna be right!" --- @ghettocheeze

jiggyfly and steddinotayto like this.
  17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Nope, not at all saying I undervalue big men. We have two serviceable bigs now (Wood, Seguin, and even Garuba) and we need 1 or 2 more. That said, we are not contending next year. We are probably 2-3 years away, at best, from a competitive team. Given that, how many people on this team will still be on the team 3 years from now? No way KPJ is still here in 3 years.

As such, I'm saying you take the best available player at #3. IMO, Ivey will have the better career over Bolchero or Smith. Bolchero is an interesting guy and I think he'll win ROY on a bad team. I just have intuition that his ceiling is not much higher than that. He is a ball dominant PF so just not sure he'll be a great player on a good team. I could be wrong. If the Rox take him at 3, I'm cool with it.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've come around, I'm all for picking Ivey at #3 and maybe yet another undersized SG with a weak handle who struggles shooting the ball at 17 as well.

Hell let's have KPJ at the 5, Green at the 4 and then fill out the rest of the roster with 6'4 SG's who can't shoot or run the point. After all, it's a guard driven league.

19. krosfyah

Agree, ...and Smith and Bolchero are not "special big men". They are not Yannis, Jockic, or Embiid.

Chet, on the other hand, could be in that category ...which is why I take Chet if he falls to #3 with 4:59seconds left on the clock. Unfortunately, no way Holmgren falls to 3.

Smith is a clone of Shane Battier or PJ Tucker. A super solid 3nD guy that every championship team wants to have ...but I'm not taking Shane Battier at #3. I'll trade for a Battier later on. Maybe somebody would trade KPJ for Jarbari Smith 3 years from now?

If Smith strangely fell to #6 or something, I might take Banchero at 3 and then trade down to take Smith to pick up extra picks. I just see Ivey has having a more impactful career in the NBA. Ivey could legit be the #1 or #2 option on a very very good team in, say, 6 years. I just don't see Smith or Banchero as the #1 or #2 option on a contending team ever. I might be wrong.

jcmoon likes this.
  20. krosfyah

Do you see KPJ still on this team 3 years from now?