1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Nook would you like it if Presti was our GM over Stone?

2. MystikArkitect

Why do you believe he's a bad fit?

3. Nook

Nook Member

Presti is one of the best in basketball. However I don’t think he and Rockets ownership would gel.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

His defense isn’t good for the players the Rockets have. He isn’t a shot blocker and he isn’t a good team defender. We switch a lot and he doesn’t have the foot speed or movement to defend 2’s and 3’s well for long on switches. I think he is solid straight up defending PF’s.

He also isn’t a great offensive rebounder, which is something else the Rockets value.

We already have Jalen Green who can cover point guards solid but not shooting guards. So we need a big point.

So we would need a center that is a very good shot blocker but can switch and can also stretch the spacing because Banchero is an okay outside shooter long term but not terribly good now.

We would also need a long small forward that excelled at team defense and can switch like a mad man.

Those are a lot of things we would need if we add Banchero. If we add Holmgren or Chet we have less restrictions on who we add.

Also Sengun and Banchero on the court together is a disaster defensively because there would be zero rim protection.

If the Rockets had Mobley or Barnes instead of Green, I would be far more excited about Banchero because they would mask his weaknesses and he would help their weaknesses.

Banchero is a very good prospect and I expect him to score a lot of points, create well for a PF and be a good to very good NBA player but the fit for the Rockets is really tough.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think CF is tired of this song, they've tuned it out.

No matter how honest the melody.

My fault, I've banged that drum too loudly and too often methinks.

HP3, Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^^

Banchero and Mobley would have been a much better more complementary pairing.

HP3 and Nook like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Paolo was cursed to be too tall. If he was 6’8, or 6’6 masquerading as 6’8, people would be comparing him to Cade. But since he’s 6’10, they got him compared to…Carlos Boozer?? Y’all really need to get your eyes checked.

Paolo is not a pf.

Medicine N Music and red5rocket like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Watch his workout and tell me how is he not an nba wing? Lateral quickness? You are telling me Luka moves his feet that much quicker? Foh

red5rocket likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Man I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.

I guess drinking your j*zz gave you new insight.

TriumVirate, glimmertwins and D-rock like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Its cuz I'm right, just like I was right about Green

Btw every action he ran there was as the pnr ball handler, instead of as the “big". Just like at Duke he was used extensively as the pnr ball handler. Not the fking Carlos Boozer or whatever lumbering big.

#1470 CXbby, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    red5rocket likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can't believe I forgot about the j*zz drinking stuff.

LOL

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If he is able to play the wing that would be a huge plus.
    He won’t ever be a primary ball handler or playmaker in the Luka mold I don’t think. Would be bad ass if he was.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Luka is way too high of a bar, he is a savant. But watching the playoffs, they have Tatum running the offense in bos and butler running the offense in Mia. I think Paolo is a better passer than both and can easily play the same role in terms of facilitating.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have doubts. I don’t see it with him, but if he has that upside in him and he reaches it, that would be a massive win for us (if we draft him)

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but why would we put him on the wing when he will dominate the 4? And he will dominate the 4 and even play some small ball 5. Not seeing why we’d want him on the wing.

Rashmon likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah not to hop on the @CXbby bandwagon… cause I’m not 100% sold… BUT

the things @D-rock and others are noting about defense and fit ARE valid…. HOWEVER if he ends up being his best case, he’s so good otherwise offensively and is average enough defensively that your 1-2 pinch with JG is still insanely good if still clear they need lots of defense further around them. I’m not giving up on Sengun in ANY sense. I think the best versions of JG, Paolo and Sengun CAN play together. It requires good coaching and a roster building around that but there are ways in the future it can be solid defensively while amazing offensively.

then there’s the concept … we’re in a bit of a honeymoon phase from last draft where almost everyone in the top hit. (Except Suggs). Most drafts that don’t happen. Will all 3 of these guys pan out to a best or even ok version of themselves? Idk.

And more of note… if you HATE the Paolo fit and he’s the one there at 3… you are trading back?

I see concerns with each.

if Paolo can legit play wing in the NBA it’d be a home run.

if you watch his workouts, his HS tape and lots of his college tape … his ball handling skills are truly fantastic. And he’s a great passer. Like I lean he’s a pure PF… but the more you watch it’s just clear that he has wing skills. His offensive repertoire is for sure better than half of the SFs in the league (but most of that bottom half know they’re limited so become role player 3&D types) - dribbling, passing.

not will come down to his 3pt shot. If he can hit soppy up 3s and pull up off the dribble 3s at mid to high 30s…. Wing, PF, whatever the offense would be incredible.

:shrug

Denovo, Rashmon and D-rock like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm not saying he's going to be as good of a shooter/scorer as Tatum, and certainly he wont be as good a defender as butler. He may not be as good as either overall. All I'm saying is as a ball handler and facilitator big wing, Paolo can do just as well as either if not better.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I’ve reaffirmed my faith in Sengun.

Now just take whoever is there at 3 and trade up for Tari Eason.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because of all the legit criticisms he's getting on the board right now, IF he's a 4. Then his lack of rim protection and defense is way more glaring and will hold back his impact. Pfs have way more responsibility on defense than your big wing facilitators like Luka or Lebron or Hardens who don't play a lick of defense.

Also if we believe in Sengun as our center of the future, which I do, then Paolo at the 4 is a bad fit. But Paolo at the 3 with a wiry defensive 4 along with Sengun at 5 is perfectly fine.

#1479 CXbby, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Rashmon, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think it’s probably unwise to put a ceiling on this 19 yr old phenom. If he shows us he’s Christian Wood I’ll freak out, but I doubt thst will be the case. This guy is super talented, great mindset, extremely coachable; he’ll become at least an adequate defender if he’s coached right. This guy is a winner.

red5rocket, Rashmon and Ekiu like this.