1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why not move Wood and draft Kessler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t4rm5la4r, May 18, 2022.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wrong forum. That’s the fap thread in the Styx forum.

2. Summer Song Giver

Disagree completely, the things he does naturally, defense and rebounding, are what push you from being a really bad team into a team that starts to see light at the end of the tunnel. He's an anchor on the defensive side of things and you don't have to do anything with him, just put him in the game and your defense is better.

red5rocket, t4rm5la4r and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Why? Is Williams making all of his 3s at the combine?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Kessler and Williams are similar defensively. Kessler has a little more shooting potential and Williams has more ability for rim running.
    If we draft Paolo I would not be mad at either of these two.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

I can't see how Charlotte would pass on Williams. It may even be the case that someone in the #8 to #12 range falls for his metrics. (Someone, for example, might like him more than Duren.)

If the Hornets would take Wood and #17, for their #13 pick, and Williams was still on the board as you suggest, that seems like a great deal for Houston. Not sure our front office wants to add size like that. Personally, I like the idea of getting bigger.

Then again Wood + #17 for the Charlotte #13 pic is a solid idea all the way around. Should Williams be off the board at #13, Charlotte might look to deal and there are plenty of other targets that could help us. Not sure the player we would covet falls to #17.

Kessler at #17 is ok. He'll have a very productive career I think. While the early mock drafts have him in the #20s, this seems a tad low to me.

I know everyone seems to think that centers need to be able to switch, but I'd like to see NBA teams hedge more and trap guards under a lot of length and play the passing lanes. That's a viable way to play D.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So Wood only gets us moved up 4 spots? Seems like he should be worth more, but if trading him gets us “our guy” I’m all for it. I do think there’s a pretty decent chance that if Stone doesn’t get what he wants that he’ll hold him till the trade deadline…which would suck because the big we draft at #3 and Sengun need to be playing as many minutes as possible next season.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Trading Wood and drafting Kessler - ala Titans n AJ and Burks...

with a big payday for Wood on the horizon - it aint a bad idea... I dont want to be the team that gives Wood a fat contract... i think he has a bad attitude and is kinda lazy - and could go Larry Sanders right after he signs...

Really, we should be consolidating some assets imo...

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Kessler is fine, but he is likely only ever going to be a 15-20 minute a game player in the NBA. He is an elite shot blocker, the best in college basketball and one of the best ever. He is very long but has special shot blocking instincts. He is a good post defender as well, but not as special as he is as a shot blocker. He isn't a complete stiff, he is coordinated and he can against some guys switch a little, but not good enough to stay on the court against smaller line ups.

He has tried to expand his offensive game some, he has tried extending out to the three point line as a shooter but he hasn't been good at it so far. He isn't a good free throw shooter either but at least he has shown work ethic and desire, but I really question if he will be adequate at it any time soon. He isn't a bad athlete, he just isn't quite good enough to switch consistently at the NBA level.

He is destined to be a role player.

Williams is a better prospect than Kessler because he is longer, taller and moves a little smoother. He is a good free throw shooter so there is some potential for him to learn to shoot. However he isn't as good a shot blocker and outside of being a rim runner he isn't a good offensive player.

Williams will be long gone by pick #17.

I am fine with everyone wanting to draft a center like Kessler or Williams, but people need to realize it won't resolve the center problem as the Rockets will still need a center that can switch and play small ball in match ups. Williams and Kessler are not going to be on the floor in crunch time if Gobert isn't. Also both of them are negatives on the offensive end.

RedIsen likes this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

With Wood's contract (unrestricted in '23), I can't see anyone doing much more than swapping spaces for Wood's talents. And I have equally limited hopes that you can take Gordon, Wall, or possibly Tate and generate lots of future picks or key roster fillers. You might be able to trade Porter for a first (as his contract is RFA in 2023), or a rotational player, but we seem committed to running things back with KPJ at the point.

I'd rather see us get out of the business of paying potential starters millions to sit and watch. It might be unbearable for team chemistry if Wood joins Wall at the end of the bench.

Aruba77 and Nook like this.
  10. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think you have a good read on Kessler and Williams. At #17, I'd be ok with a rotational player. While it might be possible to get a star contributor that's pretty rare. I think we'd have to move up a few places to find that piece.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why draft a 7 footer that doesn’t rebound well? I like the shot blocking, but think he’s an early 2nd rounder.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d be pretty thrilled about Kessler at 26 and pretty meh about him at 17.