1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

SGA, Giddey and Chet is nasty.
    Add in Poku, Dort and a couple more pieces, they’re going to be good real soon.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

lol, now that’s funny. It’s the skeletal army. Call Sam Rami. We are about to have a real life Army of Darkness.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If we pick Paolo I'll root for him to succeed, but man, I am so weary of him. I just don't believe he has the tools to be a good defensive player. If he's, as I suspect, the guy teams will hunt on switches for his entire career, then I just really doubt he'll be of value to us or anyone.

He will have to make tremendous progress on that side of the ball and I am reading mixed reviews on whether or not he's capable of that. More and more I'm dreading the fact we didn't get at least the #2.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I wish his defense was better too, but let’s be honest, this team doesn’t give a **** about defense anyway.

6. Williamson

We will always suck if that's the case. You can't be a championship contender without at least a top 10 defense.

Corrosion and Hank McDowell like this.
  7. MystikArkitect

Of the 4 best players left in the playoffs (Curry, Doncic, Tatum and Butler) only one is considered an elite 2 way player and he's the worst offensively of the bunch.

Conference titles and championships are decided by ability to separate and shot creation. Banchero fits that to a T. Even funnier is that the kid has had to anchor an offense his entire youth. Now he can sit back and be 3rd, conserving his energy. Jabari and Paolo both fit this team quite well.

Mr.Scary and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

and of the 4 teams left, they're all rated elite defensively so that still absolutely needs to be accounted for

Williamson and MystikArkitect like this.
  9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Would be happy with Paolo or Jabari. Not a Chet believer at all...

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

“I see stick people!” …..:D

11. Williamson

Tatum is also a pretty good defender these days. And their team defense is amazing. The Warriors have always done an excellent job of hiding Steph and surrounding him with monster defenders. I'm not saying the Rockets can't adjust and do that, but we don't currently have any real elite defenders. I think our best defender is Tate, and he's under-sized and can't shoot threes so he won't even be able to share the court with Banchero.

But man, I just hope I'm wrong. I'm also worried Banchero isn't quick enough to be as successful offensively in the NBA. But I hope you're right and he's an offensive talent on the level of the guys you've mentioned. I would completely lose my mind if he was as good as Luka.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. ilias

ilias Member

That’s a tough one. Banchero is a great offensive talent, but not a great fit with our roster. If we get Banchero at 3, we may need to move Sengun. Between Green and Banchero we will have our primary shot creators. We will need to surround them with three 3&D players. Someone like Bamba or Turner at C that can block shots and stretch the floor. A PG like Brogdon that can defend, hit the 3, playmake a bit, but not need the ball in his hands. And a long wing like Grant.

The question is how much does Stone value Sengun vs Banchero. And what value we could get for Sengun. Best scenario would be for us to trade up to get Jabari. OKC won’t let Jabari get past them, so Orlando is our only bet. Doubt they need any of our roster, so adding picks is the only possibility. Banchero fills their need for a primary scorer, and Bamba/Isaac complement Paolo well. Something like 3rd pick + 1-2 Nets picks (with some protection) for the 1st pick.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun>Paolo

15. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

ya that's why we should be getting the #16 pick in return too, to get Tari Eason

16. MystikArkitect

We just watched a guy for 10 years who wasn't "fast enough" but made it work. Luka and Harden werent/aren't the most athletic. They're just crafty AF and have a ridiculous bag. Kinda like one Paolo Banchero.

After seeing the draft pan out though I see it as much more likely we end up with Jabari Smith. I think Orlando needs a bona-fide bucket getter and Chet/Jabari aren't that. At least not yet. I'm thinking it goes Banchero, Chet, Smith in that order.

17. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Just like last draft….
    Some were skeptical about JG..and his play making and defense abilities
    And How did that turn out for us?

PB will be a steal at #3
    Stop acting like this teenager is a finished product already…
    He will only get better at all facets of the game including defense..

18. ilias

ilias Member

I don’t know Banchero’s game well enough to agree with this, but I like Sengun a lot and worry that a Banchero-Sengun combo is a bad fit and it will delay Sengun’s development. I’d rather we go all in and trade up for Jabari.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Fullcourt likes this.