1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. VoR

VoR Member

He was at Duke for ONE YEAR!

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Your assuming the rosters we see now are the rosters that they want to play with and that they don't make any moves besides the draft. Either team could believe Ivey is special and could trade away others to make room. I could see the Thunder selling high on G-A and getting assets and then drafting Ivey. OKC needs star power and are likely willing to make some moves to get those stars locked up for awhile.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Prefer the latter, but can't complain with PB and Kess. Kess would likely see 15-20 mins a game behind Alpi and that would give us some versatility at the 5 spot.

4. VoR

VoR Member

Tate/Garuba
    Banchero/KJM
    KPJ/TyTy
    Green/Mathews
    Wood/Sengun

3 ball threats in Green, Mathews, Wood, KMJ and KPJ. Midrange threat with Banchero. Inside game with Wood, Sengun, Green, KMJ, KPJ, Tate and TyTy.

Key factor is that if you take out Banchero, we are back to not having a midrange threat. We have okay midrange shooter but no actual midrange threat. Banchero comes in with an NBA ready midrange game--even if he looks like a Lord of the Rings extra.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, the voting is close on this one…

Fullcourt and VoR like this.
  6. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Yea I went to a Big Ten school and still follow my school so I watch quite a bit of the B1G network.

I was also in Milwaukee for part of the tourney so I saw him live a couple of times.

He is athletic, he is black and he wears his dreads the same way. That's the extent of their similarities. Just my opinion from what I saw.

leebigez likes this.
  7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Because he will get destroyed in the pnr and trying to switch to elite wing players that run the NBA playoffs.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Smith doesn’t need to be a playmaking or passing guard. Yes he needs to polish up his dribble drive and finish in the paint but that’s workable. He is a superior shooter and defender and as long as he plays within his skill set and constraints he will be ok and I liken him to klay Thompson. Doesn’t try to do too much one on one. Drives the lane when there’s an opening. Spot up shoot or pull up shoot. Pass and move behind flares and screens etc. He would be very effective that way. That’s why I think Keegan Murray is better overall. But smith can be a star like klay or Rashard lewis were.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Similar to Green, Mobley, and Cade I think all of Paolo, Smith and Chet are going to be great players. All have weaknesses and unique elite skills.

We are damn lucky to get Paolo at 3. Trade Wood for Myles Turner and we are .500 next year. Then Wall and Gordon come off the books and you can add a max FA.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's what losers do.

76ers drafted center after center after center.

Kings draft DeAaron Fox then Haliburton then Davion Mitchell

Rockets spending two first round picks and then drafting Banchero.....
    finding out Sengun -Banchero works much worse than Wood-Sengun.

Magic had a ROTY candidate in Franz Wagner.....drafting Jabari is a waste.
    Teams think they are upgrading when actually they are just going in circles.
    Still losing.

Keep in mind the PG SG position is getting saturated and teams don't want to
    give a lot as they are becoming plentiful (supply and demand).

Being #3 the Rockets are assured of a chance to draft
    one of the players I prefer, in Jabari or Ivey.

Rockets spent two first round picks for Sengun.....they aren't getting equal
    value back. If you know GM's in the league, none of them want to admit
    failure. With exception to the Kings GM who drafted Haliburton and then
    followed up that with drafting Mitchell.......dumb, dumb, dumb. That's Vlade Divac
    old regime wanting European Eastern block talent. It's just Dumb.

Yeah your right, these teams are unpredictable and capable of doing
    anything.......defies logic to me. You flip houses to make a profit, you
    flip cars to make a profit, you flip land to make a profit.....in the NBA
    you draft best player available, invest money (salary), time, effort, development,
    training......to make a player better for his future team. Most often taking
    a loss in the process.

Edited: my dad would make fun of Gruden and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when
    they had Brad Johnson, Chris Simms, and Brian Griese. The rule of thumb being
    when you have two quarterbacks or three quarterbacks.....then you have none
    in actuality. None get the playing time needed to truly progress.

When you have 5 Centers like the 76ers did.....then you have none. Guys like
    Okafor, Nerlens, R Holmes, Amir Johnson get frustrated and mad.....demand a trade.

Value lessens.

#250 ApacheWarrior, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  11. Junebball

Junebball Member

Guess I am in the minority and that's okay. I was in the minority last season with Mobley. I was in the minority with Clint. Clint wasn't very popular pick on here. Some fans here were upset when Clint opted to play his rookie season instead of playing in Europe.

Anyways .. Jaden Ivey is my pick. Hope Stone won't be making the mistake of not picking Ivey bcse of KPJ. Ivey will be a superstar.

I just don't like Banchero. He will be a solid NBA player. I don't like Jabari at 3 or higher.

jacoby likes this.
  12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jabari is not an elite scorer shooting 40% from the floor with his size.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What have you seen in Sharp that you don't see in Paolo?

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

You are absolutely right. I intended to write elite shooter. If he were an elite scorer (as in also great at driving to the basket and creating his own shots) he would be the first pick no questions asked.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I keep coming back to the restricted free agent class.

What if the Rockets were to offer Phoenix a package of something like number 3 and Christian Wood for Ayton and a top 15 protected first like 2 years from now? Would Phoenix take that? I think that works out for both teams as Phoenix is likely to be willing to blow it up and shake things up a bit considering they may lose Ayton anyways.

Then, if there's a prospect we like in the mid-lste lottery, you can still trade up for that guy.

I think that gives you a chance to shorten your rebuild window by potentially 2 years. You're also getting a known player.

#255 Two Sandwiches, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  16. anchel

anchel Member

What do u think would be needed to move up? Next year's pick?

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ivey is the sleeper pick for sure. What makes you like him?

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Banchero has big time scorer potential. I would like to see him slim down some and get quicker. If he doesn’t go 1 or 2, I’d be run to podium and pick him at 3. At 17 I’d go for Eason, Leonard Miller, or Kendall Brown.

Mr.Scary, red5rocket, Ekiu and 2 others like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

From Twin Towers to Thin Towers!! Imagine Chet and Poku playing together! :eek:

"Hail Hydra" and Aruba77 like this.