1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah Banchero is growing on me as well. Still lean Jabari but it's not gonna matter anyway because you take whatever of the 3 is left

ArtV and BigM like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tyty Washington would be a good pick at 17. Gives us a real point and that should move KPJ to the 3 where he needs to be.

raining threes and Aruba77 like this.
  3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

You might be misunderstanding, I'm a big Chet fan and I want him to be successful, whether he's on the Magic or the Rockets. I love it when non-traditional guys find a niche in the league, and expand what we know works and doesn't work.

I do think that he should be thanking his stars that Evan Mobley played great this year. If Evan Mobley had struggled, I am guessing there would be some very loud rumblings about Chet being too thin, even though they are completely different players. Mobley is both far faster and heavier than Holmgren, but I honestly prefer what I've heard about Chet's mental game far more.

My long standing point with Chet is that those people who like him should acknowledge that he will be a historical outlier for the entirety of his career, but should be willing to state THAT IT WILL NOT MATTER. He's not Giannis, or Porzingis, or Anthony Davis, or any of the other guys who have come into the league super skinny and been able to naturally bulk up into the lower bound of a "traditional NBA" physique. Chet is thinner and will remain skinner than all of these guys, but I hope he will still be a mean ass-kicker regardless.

Yao Ming and Zion Williamson were extreme physical outliers as well; we'd never seen guys who looked/played like them succeed, and they were still very worthy #1 picks.

jiggyfly, D-rock and raining threes like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The one thing that Paolo has over Jabari is his better tourney performance. Jabari is a better fit because of his defense.

D-rock likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would take TyTy over Kessler. O. Deing should also be considered at 17. He should play one more year in New Zealand.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

the worst team in the nba has lost out in the #1 pick EVERY year since the nba flattened the lottery odds.

jiggyfly, theDude and D-rock like this.
  7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

For the first 21 years after the lottery odds were changed so the worst team had a 25% of winning the top pick, the worst team in the league won only 2 times. LeBron to the Cavs was actually the very first one, amazingly.

This was followed by 4 straight years of the worst team winning between 2015 - 2018.

Variance is definitely a cruel mistress...

jiggyfly, hakeem94, comrade and 4 others like this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

One more year. That's all I ask. There's no way a rookie will turn this team around anyway, we still gonna be dragging our asses into a top 5 slot. Almost guaranteed. And that is ok.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yes some players are drafted knowing they may need to be hidden on defense.

The problem for the Rockets is that they have multiple potential players like that on the roster. Green is limited guarding shooting guards because of his poor size and wingspan and strength. So he ideally guards point guards…. Which means he ideally has a point guard that is bigger and can guard shooting guards…. We have Sengun who with hard work may be passable in switches while playing in the post, but he is never going to be a lane deterrent or a shot blocker… that means he needs someone next to him that block shots, can shut down the lane and switch well…. That isn’t Banchero.

The reality is that a really good defensive team can cover for one player if the other 4 on the court are good defenders and there is someone that can lock someone down. Golden State has that and so they can hide Curry but that’s it…. If they had another poor defender or even an average one they wouldn’t be good defensively.

To win a title you need a top 5-8 defense usually and no amount of scheme or coaching will cover all the sins.

The Rockets really need an elite defender inside that can switch, will stay on the floor and can defend multiple match ups.

D-rock and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I knew they averaged almost the same amount of offensive rebounds a game. However raw rebounds aren’t as accurate as advanced rates.

Holmgren was a better offensive rebounder than Banchero. His offensive rebound rate was 8.1% to 6.4% for Banchero.

Per 100 possessions it was an even larger difference.

So no I am not as concerned about Holmgren on the offensive glass as I am Banchero.

As a rebounder overall the difference is glaring as Chet gets 7 more rebounds per 100 possessions. Offensively the gap is closer, but still significant.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  11. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I think this is right in the abstract but not sure what the cash value is for the draft. If you think you can't fix Banchero's D then yeah he's a bad fit. Obviously FOs think there are questions there but believe there's a good shot to fix that in the long run. But count me as someone who thinks that Banchero's skill set is redundant with Sengun's and that the staff will have to get creative if they're both on the team when it's ready to compete for reals.

D-rock likes this.
  12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If we trade Wood, we need a backup center in that trade or the draft. Can't go in with just Sengun and Garuba as the only size on the front line. I'd be happy working a deal to grab Kessler late in the first or early in the second if he's still there. I think he will be a solid NBA player in a couple of years and you always need someone with true center size to bang the other team during the regular season.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Banchero will be playable defensively, he just won’t ever be a good defender at the 4 because he doesn’t block or alter shots and he isn’t great at switching. On a team that has strong defenders around him, he is a great fit. The problem on the Rockets is we already have guys with limitations that need really good defenders around them.

If the Rockets cannot trade up and Banchero is there at #3, I think you have to take him but you acknowledge that you are going to be really boxed into adding really good defenders.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

if you could, would you rather trade back and take sharpie or Ivey? I feel as you do and would go for sharpe

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Tough to say at this point. I would likely be more open to it than most people. Both Ivey and Sharpe are very talented.

comrade likes this.
  16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I think we're selling Green and Banchero a little short here in that they are very young and neither really has egregious athletic limitations that prevent them from being plus defenders. There have been plenty of 1-and-done offensive dynamo prospects that "bad defense" is already baked into their scouting report that turn out to be decent or even great defenders. I'm especially bullish on Green's eventual defensive contribution. Sure, Green is skinny as hell and his wingspan isn't ideal, but he did look like he gave a shvt last season, and he does have very good lateral movement. He was just kinda sloppy and reactive more than anything.

That said, I would say a mold of 2 stars surrounded by good defense and shooting is an effective, tried and true method of team building, regardless of how Green and Banchero pan out defensively.

Bo6 and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I keep seeing “Banchero is not a good defender and that won’t be good for the Rockers. . .” well he is still very young and was asked to be a scorer in college. We still have a looong way to go to rebuild this team. We could find a veteran PF/C at some point that is a defender to come in off the bench and play D. We could also find a SF to do that too and let Green, Banchero, Alperen, and Porter Jr focus on scoring and just give some effort on D. If Banchero can be a consistent 20, 6a, 8r a game player that would be great to have.

Bo6, Verbal Christ, RudyTBag and 3 others like this.
  18. Spooner

Spooner Member

I agree about his mindset. I wonder if coaching could help him. He has decent physical tools all things considered and he already plays with physicality even if it’s more on offense. Maybe he can find a way to use that on defense. We really need a shot blocker and he’s not that. I’m just optimistic he can be average and maybe even switchable in certain matchups.
    I wonder if Garuba pans out what that combo would look like a few years from now. Let’s say just for fun we draft wemby next year. How would you like the fit with banchero?

D-rock likes this.
  19. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

If I am Orlando I would take Banchero since he is the most NBA ready and player that can be a star for them right away. Chet will probably go to the Thunder which leaves the Rockets with Jabari.
    I don’t see Orlando taking Jabari at number 1 as he is a guy, for now at least, doesn’t create his own shot. I see the Rockets ending up with Jabari.

Bo6 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's not fail to point out here that KPJ hated playing the 3 in CLE.

Nook and hakeem94 like this.