1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green named to All-Rookie First Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not bad for a bust. ;)

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I love jalen, would never have traded him for mobley even when he was struggling but people should chill a bit and actually look at what happened. Herb jones had 4.6 win shares to jalen’s 0.7, and was a much better player this past season. Obviously green is light years better as a prospect and will be way better but that shouldn’t change the reality of what actually happened when voting

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

**** Jalen Green.

Verbal Christ, Jontro and jamescar like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Win share is the worst advanced stat imo. And is absolutely useless in rookie voting.

Cade Cunningham had a negative win share.

big deal.

quick tell me how it’s calculated.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What stats do you look at? It’s usually pretty decently correlated with winning

the TS jalen put up as a young rookie is why i have such high hopes he can be a true superstar

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, I mean, we can all pick a stat that makes the case for x or y player, but winshares? I mean come on - it's ROOKIE first team.

hahachui likes this.
  7. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

That's the point. It assigns a fraction of a team's wins to each player, so great players on bad teams will often have smaller win shares than average players on good teams. That's not because the average player contributes more to winning on the AVERAGE team, but because the fractional share of his team's ACTUAL success is multiplied by a bigger numerator - the team's wins. I'm not going to stake my life on that, but yes I'm 98% sure that the WS is positively correlated with team wins.

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Win Shares divide up the wins and attribute values to each players. By definition, more wins equal larger portions for everyone. Jalen’s contributions on Jones’ team would have resulted in more WS than what Jones got. Conversely, what Jones did would have earned him even less than 0.7 on a 20 win team. For clarity, compare Wagner and Jones.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Pels only won 36 games so it’s not like they were good. What stats would you look at though?

10. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

As I understand the calculation, it does an ok job of suppressing some of the bias for offensive production, but the defensive component is gigantically sensitive to playing lots of minutes on a really good defensive team. That's probably why Herb Jones does so well in that particular metric.

In terms of the best stat, I'm going to give a boring answer. They all have strengths and weaknesses, so I like looking across multiple stats to get a more textured idea of how a player contributes to the team. Put a gun to my head though and I still like PER, but you just have to understand that it's a rate stat and has other weaknesses.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah it’s correlated with winning cause it’s literally win shares. It’s made to be correlated lol.

yes, players impact winning but … it’s still a team game. Rookie Lebron wasn’t coming in here and having a great win share. Rookie Tim Duncan same thing. And in no scenario is rookie Herb Jones coming in and putting up an impressive win share.

It’s situational and especially for most rookies. You want to compare win share by player on two really solid teams with similar mid 50 wins or something, fine. Even then…

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. courtsidedreams

How the F is FRANZ FAGNER GETTING MORE VOTES THAN GREEN!??!?!?!?!?

coachbadlee likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Buck Sill Fimmons!!!

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The stat winshare does not in any way account for your teams record in the calculation.

Offensive Win Shares are credited to players based on Dean Oliver's points produced and offensive possessions.

Crediting Defensive Win Shares to players is based on Dean Oliver's Defensive Rating. Defensive Rating is an estimate of the player's points allowed per 100 defensive possessions

15. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

I know we supposed to be homers but come on now, Franz had a great season

Green 67 games, Franz 79 games
    Green 17.3 pts, Franz 15.2
    Green 3.4 rbs, Franz 4.5
    Green 2.6 asts, Franz 2.9
    Green 79 percent free throw, Franz 86 percent
    Green 34 percent from 3, Franz 35 percent
    Green 43 percent FG, Franz 46 percent

Also Green 14 fg attempts, Franz 12 FG attempts

Franz is up on every category besides pts and its only a 2 pt difference with 2 less shots per game

16. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

See my post above

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

it must have been a close call between jalen green and secksy suggs

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

We really using win shares to compare players now? :D

19. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

this is DEFINITELY incorrect. the number of win shares does not add up precisely to the number of wins, but they're substantially correlated.

here's one citation for that: https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

here's another: https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytic...s a measure,to distribute among the players.”

and another: https://paceandspacehoops.com/how-well-do-nba-win-shares-correlate-to-actual-wins/

BigMaloe and durvasa like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Meh, Corey Brewer would have had 100 first team votes

Salvy, cmoak1982 and DeBeards like this.