1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. PatBev

PatBev Member

I feel like there is a good chance that Magic might go after Ivey hoping for another Morant. I honestly think Jabari or Chet

Rockets out: #3+Wood+#17, throw in Tate just for the roster spot
    Rockets in: #1 + Fults(I’ll take him off the bench)+ a filler

If they don’t want Wood, I would still offer 3,17, FRP

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t think Stone is wasting a pick on anyone under 6’7

We rolling with Porter. Our forward spot is pathetic offensively & defensively and the top 3 prospects could all fix that. You got three 6’10 top prospects. Stone ain’t picking Ivey lol

Why would we want to commit our future a 6’4 point guard anyway. In 5 years most point guards/players will 6’7+ So Ivey just seems like a complete waste of a pick when our forward position should be the only thing being discussed in terms of improving

#202 PatBev, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    VoR, KingSamJack, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What's all that size worth if none of those guys are elite defenders? And two of them are straight up bad defenders?

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Self deprecating humor makes me like him a little more no lie. Cant take yourself too serious in this life. Have fun with it! Nice job Chet! Your PR team is elite!

Williamson, Yung-T and Denovo like this.
  5. photojoe

photojoe Member

No. No. No.
    Not even worth considering. Don't even answer the phone if Orlando or OKC ask something ridiculous like that.

Jalen Green is still a prospect basically, but he's a stronger prospect than any of Holmgren, Smith or Banchero. I feel pretty confident Green would go #1 in this draft easily.

Not only that, none of those three have really separated themselves from the others by a lot... and we will be able to get one of them for free without any need to even think about for a second giving up Green.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not trusting a Duke big man... They always struggle defensively, and he he has big question marks in that regard. If Smith or Holmgren fall, they are the pick, but this is assuming they don't. I think they would take Banchero, but I think he is a bust (and FWIW, I think Holmgren is a bust too, but he's more intriguing).

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The level of overthinking on this board is insane. There's a VERY distinct top 3 in this draft, and all of them come with some question marks. But at the end of the day, it's a distinct top 3 for a damn good reason. Chet, Jabari, and Paolo are (as of this moment) significantly better than any of the guys below them. You take whichever of those 3 is available to you at #3, and don't look back. Yes, Paolo can be a better defender and shooter. But those are things that can actually be improved through work and effort. If he's there, you take him, and get to work. The kid has all the potential to be very, very special.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Well then he needs to eat more, and lift heavier weights.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think Stone cashes in some assets+clear some roster spots in order to get who he wants in this draft

9baller likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Member

Most likely to get back into the lottery from 17. The idea that we would trade #3 for #1 gives me Tatum - Fultz vibes. It’s entirely plausible that any of the top three will be there at pick #3. Let the board play out and take one of the elite prospects it’s easy. Hell, the Orlando Magic locked on guy just took Banchero #1 overall in his mock. It’s also important to keep in mind, Stone explicitly said in his interview last night that it’s too early to draft for fit and they are going BPA.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Cause he’s so full of himself. Can’t stand the way he talks. Just rubs me the wrong way.

BHannes2BHonest and Plowman like this.
  12. Aruba77

good point; but I just find him full of himself the way he talks. Rubs me the wrong way.

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

After reading up more on Paolo I feel now pretty comfortable. I had Jabari 1A and Chet 1B, Paolo 2 before. Now Paolo is right up in there:

Jabari: Elite scorer and perimeter defender - subpar ballhandler and bad at finishing at the basket. Can‘t really create his own shot.
    Chet: Elite rim protector, great shooter, good post game - might get bullied in the NBA, has trouble to create his own shot, had some really bad games in between.
    Paolo: Best shot creator for himself and others, underrated passing can score from 3, midrange, drive and postups - his 3 is inconsistent, has trouble defending quicker wing players and lacked effort on defense.

Adding another great big man passer that can create a shot wouldn‘t be a bad thing. Biggest question mark moving forward would be defense. I believe he will get more open 3s here than he did for Duke - and he will be practicing them more. Hopefully he wouldn‘t get as gassed here, because he doesn‘t have to shoulder the whole offensive load.

That being said, I am pretty sure he is very much on the table for Orlando and OKC. Orlando especially needs a star that can get his own shot - I really think they should go for a player like Ivey or Paolo over a player like Jabari.

All in all I would be fine with either of the 3 big men, but Jabari would still be my first option.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Bancheros is a elite offensive player, it hard to teach players to be Shot Creator, Playmaker, Size and Versatility. His defense is not being talented but EFFORT. He gave effort in the tournament and he was great.

15. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Wall + number 3 for CP3

Fullcourt likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I understand where you're coming from. He certainly has a more stereotypical Lawyerly approach in public (little bit of that Masters of the Universe thing)....Different cat than Daryl to be sure. Both have nice sized egos. That said, you can't argue too much with the results so far....for the most part. Maybe you can. Do you have a problem with most if any of our moves?

17. Aruba77

I think he’s botched the last two trade deadlines, the attempted Dipo extension was down right scary, and I worry he will hold onto players too long rather than admit a mistake (like Wood’s obvious bad fit). But I can’t argue with last year’s draft picks or the low-cost, high upside FA signings. Even if KPJ doesn’t work out it was absolutely a great trade. He didn’t botch the Harden trade, although he missed an opportunity to get an extra pick or difference-making player out of it.

all in all pretty good, I think this offseason is pretty important because we need to clear some roster space and make decisions on who we are gonna invest in and develop long term.

but u hit it in the head. It’s his lawyerly communication, ego - I’ve listened to interviews where he comes off insecure. So I just don’t like the way he communicates, but as long as he rebuilds this team into a long term contender he could be Donald Trump for all I care.

BHannes2BHonest and Plowman like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I think there's a shot OKC grabs Paolo at 2 and we get Jabari but I have no issue with Paolo at the 3.

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Warmly welcome Paolo Banchero!

20. Aruba77

this is definitely a realistic scenario. The rockets could very well be picking Jabari. Forecasting what Presti is going to do is a fool’s errand. Paolo is absolutely worthy of the #2 pick and would be a great fit with OKC. I don’t think we’ll know who we are getting till draft night.

also I’m not 100% sure Stone doesn’t draft Ivey if he thinks he’s BPA. While that would disappoint me, I think folks need to keep and open mind.

But I do think we end up with one of the top bigs and I’m with DD - no more umpa lumpas