1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you don't, but I am not picking a bigger PJ Tucker at the top of this draft with these players available.

You perfectly illustrate my point.

We don't even know if he is elite at defense in the NBA.

2. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Any GM would say what stone said, you always want to keep your options open.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

more gaslighting…damn near everything u say about Chet is some negative or trying to counteract anything positive said about him

the constant gaslighting and trolling is just outta hand

Tf is Durant 1.0 supposed to mean? U just be saying anything

[​IMG]

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

Your comment applies to all prospects. It's an educated guess.

Bigger PJ Tuckers help you win more than additional Christian Woods...

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

The body type is most similar... Durant was 6'10" and 190. He has added FIFTY pounds since. He was also pretty terrible as a rookie.

D-rock likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So wait now you have a problem with me saying he MIGHT be Durant 1.0, but before you had a problem with me supposedly ******** on him constantly?

Dude you are all over the place, I am going to stop because of your incoherence and to stop derailing this thread.

You also need to probably look up the definition of gaslighting.;)

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If you want to see "athleticism" run his high school tape (same way people run Chets when looking for the same thing). Its there. At Duke Paolo was lackadaisical on defense I wont sugar coat it. When the moment required him to step up he did. He has film out there switching onto good guards in the Miami games and even during the Michigan State game he secured the win with a huge block on a switch onto their PG. Everyone wants him to show more inspired play on defense NO DOUBT ABOUT IT and in the NBA he shouldnt have to shoulder the same offensive load that he did at Duke to help him develop as a point defender on switches particularly in the playoffs. Neither Chet or Jabari were tasked with anything remotely close to what Paolo was offensively. They had the luxury of waiting for guard play to break down defenses and then attacking close outs and hitting open jumpers with a little self creation sprinkled in.

IF Paolo can get down to 225-230 he would be at his ideal playing weight IMO and should help him when playing perimeter defense and capable of running at the small wing. It does take away that "bully" aspect because at 250 he could have his way with any 3/smaller defender and still bang with bigs, but it would be better on his joints and with quickness on defense similar to what some other stars have done in slimming down like Jokic for example.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah bigger PJ Tuckers help you win, but that has bearing on what I said though, would you pick a bigger PJ Tucker over Tatum, Butler or Brown?

#1088 jiggyfly, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  9. xaos

xaos Member

For those not wanting Banchero, how would yall feel if we drafted Banchero and M.Williams then traded for a young 3&D SF?

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We have to think of basketball positions more like soccer positions and eliminate them from the traditional 5 roles. Truth is, CP3 is a PG but he's nothing like Beverly. They play the same positions on paper but play an entirely different role.

Paolo's role I would define as a Face up scoring forward but there might be some traditional PF in there as well, we'll see. Holmgren's role is nothing but a big. Sure he can score, sure he can face up (I doubt this will be that effective at the NBA level with him) but teams see him as Gobert with more of an offensive game. I don't think he'll play any other role on a team outside of being a rim protector and a guy that commands the paint. This doesn't make him a tweener in my mind because he fills one role while Paolo might be able to fill more roles. Even if you put Chet in the frontcourt with Sengun he's still playing the same role, the only difference is on offense you have Chet on the perimeter stretching the floor (which is why so many people like the fit) and keep Sengun down low operating in the post...but on defense he's back in the paint controlling it.

I am not knocking Paolo for being a tweener, that is his gift and curse as a prospect. Because it is easy to get excited about the type of player he is, you go oh wow, this man is too quick for bigs and too big for forwards and guards, unstoppable...but if he's not quick enough to get past NBA level bigs (which we won't know until we actually see) then forget it, he's not going to reach that potential that has him going in the top 3.

Any ways, I'm not team Chet or Paolo, I'm 100% fine drafting either, I'm team Jabari. If we had the #1 pick that's who I would want, Jabari, not only because of his athleticism but also how much of a hard worker he's been said to be and how determined and mature he seems to be, and that he IMO has more safe upside than the others. That's who I hope falls to us...

But I'm not knocking Paolo for his game I'm just talking about the risk of his game, which they all have, and people should be worried if his face up game is going to translate to the NBA because if it can't then he instantly becomes a bust, but all of these guys have good bust potential, Paolo is just the center of these discussions because we all seem to think he's likely to fall to us. I don't anymore. I think someone picks him ahead of us anyway, his scoring potential will be, IMO, too tempting for Orlando or OKC to turn down.

11. Milos

Milos Member

Not to mention, PJ may become a starter on consecutive title winners

I want a young Rox team built from 2way winners
    that compete every possession like their hair is on fire

Not that I hate Paulo or anything, but I don't see that from him like Chet or (especially) Bari

D-rock likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Chet, Mobley or Paolo im fine with. I'm not going to act like a mobley gang member

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You gave me a good chuckle. Nice.

Knowing this place I wouldnt hold my breath. Nuance is too high around here with so many analysts!! :D

[​IMG]

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Detroit wants Banchero badly, and Portland or New Orleans wants Grant, there may be an opportunity for the Rockets here to get the 4th and 7th pick in the drafts for Banchero.

Would Detroit give up Grant and their 4th pick for Banchero? Maybe if the Rockets threw in a sweetener like the number 17 or giving them Christian Wood back. The Rockets could then send Grant and Gordon to Portland or the Pels for the 7 or 8th pick.

That works if you want Ivey or Sharpe AND Duren. You get your rim protector big of the future, plus you get another potential star at the wing or in a 3 guard line-up.

Rockets will have some options here and overall, yeah, they are in a very good position.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So Jabari's lack of a dribble drive game and his inability to convert at the rim does not concern you?

JayGoogle and Ekiu like this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Member

It really seems like you are describing how he was used at Duke and I don't believe that is his role at the next level. Have you watched any of his high school tape? He has much more in his game than being a face up 4. For starters, he'd be the best passer on the team from day one and could be a reliable playmaker for Green to feed off. Defensively, I think people need to trust a guy with those kind of physical tools can be average. I remember last year fighting the whole board when it came to Sengun. People were just convinced he wouldn't be able to guard a paper bag. Same thing here except Paolo is a better athlete.

jiggyfly, Verbal Christ and JayGoogle like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I asked u what it means. To the surprise of no one, there’s still no answer…

The one who types all sorts of nonsense is saying I’m incoherent? Lmao

bounce

18. Landry's Tooth

Who is Tatum, Butler, or Brown in this draft?

I would prefer Michael Jordan. What does it matter if they aren't there?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It does, none of these guys are like surefire #1 guys, which works out for us since we're drafting #3, hopefully we luck into the guy that is the best.

But that is concerning but I really like his outside shooting ability and I think he can project to be a more versatile defender. I just favor him because of that, I worry about our defense and I think he's a better shooter than Chet. So that's really where I am at, the defensive potential is there and the outside shooting is there.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn’t be a better passer than Alp, and he’s not a much better athlete than Alp. Very comparable