1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. HTown2017Champs

Why? Is this a rule I never new about, or maybe a new rule? I don't think that's a thing but correct me if I'm wrong.

everyday eddie and phasors28 like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If we get the Pena pick it is part of the new CBA. It is to encourage teams to bring up their best prospects sooner and not manipulate service time.

jiggyfly and HTown2017Champs like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are some new provisions incentivizing bringing up players earlier rather than holding them back with the new CBA. I know one was to credit players with certain awards with a full year of service regardless of when they are brought up. I think of it as an Alvarez rule. But the extra draft picks I do not recall except for teams signing a free agent no longer lose one while teams losing a FA get an extra comp pick, just not from the signing team.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

PROSPECT PROMOTION INCENTIVE

A team is eligible for Prospect Promotion Incentive (PPI) draft picks if a rookie-eligible player with 60 days or fewer of major league service who is included on a preseason top 100 prospect list by two or more of Baseball America, ESPN.com or MLB.com is promoted and finishes high in award voting in any year before he is eligible for arbitration. The team would get an amateur draft pick for a Rookie of the Year or a top three in MVP or Cy Young, and an international selection if second or third in Rookie of the Year, or fourth or fifth in Cy Young. A team can gain at most one PPI pick in the amateur draft and three total PPI picks for any individual prospect in his career.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ue-baseball-labor-agreement-details/49919225/

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

New rule as part of the new CBA. If a player spends the entire season in the majors and finishes top 3 in ROY, the team gets a draft pick. This is to encourage teams against manipulating service time for the next young players.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Excellent find. I need to improve my search skills. Relying on articles referencing the CBA isn't nearly as good as actually seeing the language in the CBA.

Now my only question is did Pena make two of those lists? I know the Astros had no players on at least one, but I don't even know if that list was one of the three mentioned.

MLB.com 98, Unfortunately Baseball America and ESPN lists are stuck behind paywalls.

#466 Marshall Bryant, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
  7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Based on my googling, it looks like Pena was top 100 on BA and ESPN as well. I don't have paywall access but the Baseball Cube appears to have the entire BA top 100 on their website and other places reference Pena as 72 on the BA list. This Adam Wexler tweet appears to screenshot the Pena blurb on the ESPN top 100 saying he's 48th on the ESPN list.

MLB.com: 98
    Baseball America: 72
    ESPN: 48

Sounds like Pena qualifies.

Sidenote, wonder if the prospect has to be on 2 of 3 lists in the same year that they win ROY. Usually not a big deal because the winner is usually a known top prospect but sometimes guys go on and fall off the top 100 lists.

8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Yes, Pena qualifies. He was on both Baseball America (72) and ESPN (48). However, he was not on the Preseason MLB list. He has moved on at number 98 after some graduations. IIRC, the only lists he did not make were MLB and Keith Law's, neither of which had any Astros. Doesn't say much for your evaluation ability when the front runner for Rookie of the Year doesn't make your Top 100

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Some people are hyper-focused on a few teams and ignore others when they put together these lists.

10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Did they trade for a utility player because Peña is going to be out extended time? Anyone know?

11. Buck Turgidson

Bregatron likes this.
  12. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Thanks! Sorry just saw this being addressed in the other thread. Can’t keep track of what gets discussed where

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Except that Pena woke up sore so they ate holding him out as a precaution

15. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's having a great start, but we'll have to see how he responds to the book being written on him. But the D is there as expected.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So this inspired me to do a quick sort of position players 25 and under for fWAR. While 3 out of 5 is still simply amazing, I gotta say I'm really surprised it wasn't a 1,2,3 Astros sweep for the top 3 positions.

Name Team WAR
    Rafael Devers BOS 2
    Jeremy Pena HOU 1.8
    Jazz Chisholm Jr. MIA 1.7
    Kyle Tucker HOU 1.5
    Yordan Alvarez HOU 1.4

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s amazing to me that both Tucker and Alvarez have likely not hit their peak age yet. They may have another season or 2 if improvement before the level off.

awc713, IowaAstro and raining threes like this.
  19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who winds up producing more WAR in an Astros uniform, Bregman + Altuve + Correa or Tucker + Alvarez + Pena? It's amazing the Astros have replaced their "golden years" core with another core that looks just as good. And of course they still have a few of those golden years guys still contributing.

joshuaao, cmlmel77, SWTsig and 2 others like this.
  20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Alvarez in particular has a chance to add defensive value with his knees seeming to have been stabilized.

Houstunna likes this.