1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dodged A Bullet Tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 17, 2022.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

It's a weird premise right? If Banchero is truly better than Jabari/Chet, why wouldn't the other teams like OKC and ORL recognize this. For us this is a hobby, for those teams they have fully staffed people looking into this. Predicting the future is tough but I wager official NBA teams have a lot more resources at their disposal.

Most GMs especially with their top pick think like Stone and go for BPA. If they don't go for Paolo, what does that say about their opinion of him.

#61 TimDuncanDonaut, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

There is no consensus #1 pick. We don't have a LeBron, a Yao, or a Shaq on the board.

Other #1 pick misses:
    2017: Markelle Fultz
    2013: Anthony Bennett
    2007: Greg Oden
    2006: Andrea Bargnani
    2005: Andrew Bogut
    2001: Kwame Brown

Other #3 picks hits:
    2018: Luka Doncic
    2017: Jayson Tatum
    2014: Joel Embiid
    2009: James Harden
    2007: Al Horford
    2003: Carmelo Anthony
    2001: Pau Gasol
    1984: Michael Jorden
    1982: Dominique Wilkins

3. TimDuncanDonaut

What is it maybe with percentages? Say within last 20 drafts, which % would you say was hits for #1 pick compared to hits at #3.

#3 will still have hits but I imagine the % might be lower?

Did it for #5 pick while back, last 20 years... it ended up being something like 1/3 chance hitting it big and 2/3 meh or bust.

A GM with a high pick can bust, but to rely on another GM to miss And somehow assume your GM knows better is possible...but a bit of leap.

Higher pick is always better, including if you want to trade down and fleece other GMs (to get more).

#63 TimDuncanDonaut, May 18, 2022
    clos4life likes this.
  4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The key is that there is no obvious consensus #1. Draft boards are all over the map.

I have a hunch, 10 years down the line, that Jaden Ivey will be the most impactful player in this draft.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Iverson was #1.

Williamson and withmustard like this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I suspect…each of the Top 3 picks could realistically have different Top 3 pickers prefer them. Each may get the man of their dreams. Perhaps. Draft night will have each of the three GMs proclaiming that, in any regard.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

All three of these players can get their own shot. We don't really have that now. Chet is like super tall so it's just make or miss for him. Smith is like Durant so good luck stopping that. And Banchero has a really good fadeaway and footwork.

Chet will be able to pass because of his height. Banchero is good at looking over the top for entry. I don't know much about Smith's playmaking or passing, but he look ok.

So, I just like it all.

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Jabrari is the clear cut #1, but Banchero should go 2nd. Good news is that he won’t because teams and more importantly their fanbases fantasize about getting guys like Chet and adding 40 pounds to become like the next Mobley. Adding this weight would only bring Chet to college sized Mobley and to me that’s not worth a top two pick. He’ll be gone by three because of fan pressure and hype and this works out perfect for us as we won’t get saddled with a three year project.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You just have the absolute dumbest takes imaginable.

10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You shol' right lol. Edited

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's the laziest comparison I have ever seen. "Well they're both tall, skinny and white."

Bradley couldn't shoot 3's at 40% and he damn sure wasn't crossing anybody over. Chet literally crossed over Steph Curry when he was 16 years old.

And it's not a fluke. He legitimately has guard skills at that height. Shawn Bradley was a post player and shot blocker but that's it. That's all he could do. He couldn't dribble. He couldn't pass. He couldn't shoot. And hell, I don't even think he was as good of a defender as Chet because Chet is just so much more fluid and mobile. This comparison literally makes me want to fight people.

DJ, clos4life, raining threes and 2 others like this.
  12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Jalen's defense improved a lot through out the season. That's a positive sign. You rarely see a rookie improve that quick, let alone during his rookie season

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

You can always tell who the lazy casuals are with their horrendous takes.

Denovo, clos4life and MorningZippo like this.
  14. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

wow lol give me that Chet ! I’m honestly happy with any of the top 3 . I really want Smith but if we can’t get him Chet or Banchero I’ll be content with .

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I can see stone trading #3 and the corpse of John Wall for a major piece.

16. MystikArkitect

Bold/Italics is a Superstar/Borderline Superstar Level Player. Can be a #1 on a playoff team.

Bold is All Star Level Player. Can be a #2 on a playoff team.

#1 Overall Picks of the Last 15 years:

Cade Cunningham - Anthony Edwards - Zion Williamson - Deandre Ayton - Markelle Fultz - Ben Simmons - Karl Anthony Towns - Andrew Wiggins - Anthony Bennet - Anthony Davis - Kyrie Irving - John Wall - Blake Griffin - Derrick Rose - Greg Oden - Andrea Bargnani - Andrew Bogut

6 Superstar Level Players
    2 All Star Level Players

#2 Overall Picks of the Last 15 Years:

Jalen Green - James Wiseman - Ja Morant - Marvin Bagley - Lonzo Ball - Brandon Ingram - DAngelo Russell - Jabari Parker - Victor Oladipo - Michael Kidd Gilchrist - Derrick Williams - Evan Turner - Hasheem Thabeet - Michael Beasley - Kevin Durant - Lamarcus Aldridge - Marvin Williams

3 Superstar Level Players
    1 All Star Level Players

#3 Overall Picks of the Last 15 Years:

Evan Mobley - Lamelo Ball - RJ Barrett - Luka Doncic - Jayson Tatum - Jaylen Brown - Jahlil Okafor - Otto Porter - Bradley Beal - Enes Kanter - James Harden - OJ Mayo - Al Horford - Adam Morrison - Deron Williams

4 Superstar Level Players
    5 All Star Level Players

There are some that can obviously be debated as to whether or not they should be added to All Star Level (Simmons, Porter, Oladipo) but the 3rd pick and the 1st pick have produced more All Star/Superstar caliber players than the 2nd pick has. The 2nd pick seems littered with strike out home run swings with upside instead of safer swings with production.

#76 MystikArkitect, May 18, 2022
    Easy, kjayp and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ingram should be bolded.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There is a legit reason to be concerned with his frame holding up.

Having said that, if everything about Holmgren was the same, except he was a black dude, a lot of his "question marks" wouldn't be getting brought up. Nonsense like the Bradley comps are comically absurd. Wembanyama isn't getting compared to Manute Bol by anybody.

MystikArkitect, cmoak1982 and YOLO like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

what a lot of people aren't saying out loud but is absolutely the truth

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

More than half of that list is wrong. Jalen Green is already a superstar afterward leasing his pick to the 3 seed.

The grizzles are better in the playoffs when Ja isn't playing.

Brandon Ingram, Lonzo, and fultz are busts?

Just wow.