1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

…..because Chet reminds a lot of us of Zhou Qi.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or Kevin Durant.

DD

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm worried about Banchero being like an Jalil Okafor type player so I picked Ivey, but all the mock drafts have him going 3 so what do I know.

BHannes2BHonest, Williamson and sheb like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

The Rockets really going to get one of Jabari Smith or Paolo Banchero to pair with Jalen Green. I can't believe it considering where we were 18 months ago.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He has substantially more playmaking ability than Okafor did, like a ton more.

But I too worry that him simply won't be an impact player. That he will be a guy that will give you 22/9/5, yet because of mediocre defense and lack of ability to suck in double teams,it will be mostly empty calories.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I think the chances of us moving down are very strong. Stone insisted on a Phoenix pick that was not this year, that signals that Stone is prioritizing having a bag to offer for a superstar in 23 or 24. I could see the Rockets trading down on #3 and trading up with the #17 using Milwaukee's pick. Then try to trade other players for protected first later into the future.

The thing about first rounders far into the future, since they are so hard to predict, the get penciled in as mid first rounders and have lottery upside. If we can't use the 17 to move up, which we likely won't, I think we will trade it for future assets. Nix, Garuba and Queen all deserve minutes this season, and we won't have minutes for 2 more rookies.

fckbandwagons and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Do others see a taller Larry Johnson (Hornets/Knicks) comp to Paolo Banchero's game?

For some reason, I can't get that out my head.

Corrosion and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Sharpe can swing to SF. I believe he is considered to have the size, arms and athleticism to do it. But the real reason is contenders need multiple stars to win. We have 1. Ido T believe I’m Banchero at all. Sharpe is high risk but higher ceiling IMO.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t think he’s that explosive.
    High side best outcome is Webber, low side is probably somewhere around taller Millsap with middle ground being a taller Randle.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Point Forward Banchero
    Let him bring the ball up and set up our three scorers - Porter, Green, and Wood. After missed consecutive shots he drives to the hole or drops it in the post to Sengun.
    Behold our offense for the 2022-2023 season.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think it really depends on how he feels about Ivey or Sharpe. If he wants either at #3 I think he moves heaven and earth to move up for Eason or Murray. If he is ok with Banchero, then I think he may trade 17 and others for an unprotected next year from Indy or another for sure lottery team next year. This is the year to get a big, unless you get the no. 1 next year. I still think Jabari is the real gem of this draft and Stone will not pass him up if he drops. Ideally Jabari drops to 3 and we trade 17 and vets to get another shot at Victor next year. I personally want Jabari with 3. If we take Banchero, I want Eason. We have to have a defensive and long PF out of this draft, whatever we do.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We will have two stars in Green and Banchero, and if Smith or Holmgren fall that is awesome as well.

Getting top 3 is a huge step forward for the rebuild! :D

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

And porzingas or how you spell it

Jabari I think will just keep building muscle and also compliment Sengun very well in the paint if Sengun is really our Center

If we have Chet, I think we should play him at the 3 until we can see if he gets a little thicker. I’d just be worried of him getting injured in the paint trying to play the 4

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Jabari Smith Jr is more athletic, and a better defender. Also Jaden Ivey is the sleeper of this draft. I won't be surprised if the Magic draft one of those two.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll probably never stop laughing if the Magic skip the top several picks and randomly go with Ivey.... but it would be awesome for the Rockets if they did.

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

I doubt Chet will fall to #3 but I think he would be a great fit for our roster. He's everything Christian Wood thinks he is as a player.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Really tough. The roster has some decent young talent at every position, but nobody that is clearly going to be an MVP-caliber player (though I expect Jalen Green might average 25ppg next season). So I'm not sure position is a priority. What the team definitely needs are Leadership, Defense, and Passing. I think Ivey has the best chance of being that, but boy does that load up the roster with similar height guys that are worth minutes. The obvious answer would be to trade Porter and Gordon to open up minutes.

Next question would be, would trading Green for either top pick be an option or worth considering? Then you trade Christian Wood, since he isn't needed alongside Sengun and whoever else we ended up with.

The most important thing is getting rid of Porter and Wood if you can get any reasonable return (or wait until the deadline), because they are not winning players. I'm also quite concerned that Green is going to be a Mitch Richmond-type. He'll score you points, but do nothing else to help the team win games.

BoyhoodDream likes this.