1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you politically alienated?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, May 15, 2022.

?

Do you feel politically alienated?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No argument here. The classic fiscal conservative is long dead. Now it's just "it's only bad spending when a democrat does it" and deficit concern-trolls.

On the same token, social liberalism is also long dead. The authortarian pearl-clutchers of my childhood have gone from the church pew to the Starbucks.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

At the bottom of the front page of the weekly edition of The Economist

Published since September 1843 to take part in “a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress.”

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the idea of 'political alienation' is weird. I've never expected to really identify with any party or that any party would effectively represent all what I wanted all by itself. That's why we have elections. If I'm not identified or represented by any party, I can't be alienated from the party. That's not a relationship I ever wanted to have. Though I must say while there used to be some elections where I've preferred the Republican and others where I preferred the Democrat and still others where I hated both of them, nowadays Republicans pretty consistently push me away. So, while I'm not really any closer to the bosom of the democratic party, I at least know who the enemy is which de facto dictates who my friends are.

jiggyfly, thegary and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes. There is not much out here for a libertarian. I can (and do) vote for the Libertarian party, but they mostly get less than 2% of the vote. The Republicans do not promote freedom enough for me (beyond right to life and the 2nd Amendment). The Democrats are blatantly just transferring money to their voters. Trump copied the Dem playbook and decided to just give taxpayer money to voters. I would like to see a drastic reduction in the Federal Government, but where is the party for that?

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

To me, political affirmation is personal and ingrained from experiences. There is no alienation if political views are based on what a person believes. what might be a popular opinion in 1972 is not in 2022 and what is popular in 2022 is likely not in 2072.
    A college professor I attended once told the class that politics is very, very simple…it’s simply who gets..: what , when, where and how. Given that “who” does not include everyone, there will always be inclusion and exclusion no matter what on any issue so how did that impact me? It taught me to do my best in life and never feel that anyone is more important, and that your political views shouldn’t depend or matter what others think

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

God I wish that were true.

ElPigto, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. StupidMoniker

Your wish is granted. There is an income level with a net 0 tax rate. Above that level, people are paying a positive tax rate. Below that level, people are paying a negative tax rate (also known as receiving more money from the government than they are paying out). Not surprisingly, people in the group that are receiving net benefits tend to vote for the party that increases those benefits.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there are many who are not just not paying taxes but getting paid through programs like EIC. I'm not sure that translates as directly to votes. From recent elections it does appear that many lower income voters (those who are likely paying no income taxes) are voting Republican while many wealthy (those who paying income taxes) is voting Democrat.

In general it appears that rural people of most economic levels are voting Republican while urban people of most income levels are voting Democrat. Since there is more concentration of wealth in urban areas and that rural areas get a disproportionate amount of assistance for population, that would mean that Democrat voters are more likely to be net tax payers.

jiggyfly and JuanValdez like this.
  9. StupidMoniker

Households making less than $50k favor Democrats +5, households making 50k or more favor Republicans +6. My sad "other" is not very popular.
    Poll.jpg

tinman likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is an incredibly weak indicator, and as judo said, I very very much doubt that your average Democrat voter (especially the poor) realizes the financial implications of their taxes in their voting.

Like I said, I wish that Democrats were 'buying' votes with high visibility social programs and services. Education, healthcare, utilities, pharma, childcare, UBI, etc, etc. Not happening.

ElPigto likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They've never heard of Latino here

the woke people call them LatinX

@J.R.
    @MexAmercnMoose
    @Os Trigonum

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

THIS. However, to be clear, it's not the NEWS media ...it's SOCIAL media and their algorithms that promote the supid people.

That said, I support the party that doesn't murder people or tries to violently overthrow the federal government. That's kinda table stakes for me.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's because liberal extremist men are feminine cucks who are incapable of inflicting violence like a real man

jiggyfly and JuanValdez like this.
  15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Americans and Their Government Have Become Divided by a Common Language

By J.B. Shurk American Voters: "We're concerned about the prices of milk, eggs, baby formula, and gas."

U.S. Government: "So you're saying we should spend tens of billions more on a proxy war against Russia and ban oil and natural gas drilling here at home?"

American Voters: "No, listen: inflation is making it impossible to afford groceries. Our businesses are dying."

U.S. Government: "You want us to talk more about transgenderism and the legacies of slavery? Maybe throw in some free sexual grooming advice for your children?"

American Voters: "Pay attention! We'll talk slowly for the remedial learners in Congress. In every way possible, America is headed in the wrong direction right now!"

U.S. Government: "You think we need more illegal immigration right now? That's fine, we can do that. No problem."

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

CNN putting Trump content before he was president all the time is a perfect example

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Don't blame CNN (or Fox).

News media has been around for decades, what like 60 years?

Conversely, social media has been around for only about 10 years. Guess when citizens started trying to overthrow governments? yep. The Arab Spring happened right when social media got big and fascist populism started taking off not long after that.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In the last 14 or so years, I went from Republican to anti-tea party Republican to anti-Trump Republican to moderate Republican to conservative Democrat to now just straight Democrat.

I was naïve enough to think that Jan 6th would be a watershed moment for our country and our entire political system, but I was clearly wrong. It didn't change anything. Still can't believe how many Republicans are still licking Trump's ballsack.

So really, now I see everything in black and white - do you support Trump or don't you? Since most Republicans still do, I'm a Democrat straight ticket guy now.

But I'm really ****ed because Trump is going to be President again 2 years from now.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My heart goes out to you. It's got to suck to have the party you've been loyal to for so long abandon reason.

Praise for you not just blindly following.

Then there's also a weird troll group that joined just because many GOP /Trump moves anger the other side of aisle. It is sad that is a top priority for so many people.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

ADL has a pretty large reputation/bias problem to reckon with so I'd like to see the receipts, but this basically tracks with what my guess would be. Right wingers are typically more organized and focused/targetted in their violence, whereas left wingers are usually responsible for a lot more diffuse unrest like rowdy (or obnoxious lol) protests, property damage, etc.

FranchiseBlade likes this.