1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Have you met him?

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

All for it if he’s available!

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Anybody but banchero

BHannes2BHonest and pippendagimp like this.
  4. j@amc

j@amc Member

My early prediction is that Smith will fall. The Rockets just need to show patience here.

Once the advanced scouts start digging into the tape, they will scrutinize him for over-reliance on his jumper. They'll start wondering about Smith's passing and ability to create shots for others. They'll be scared by his great fade in the NCAA tournament.

Then they'll see the tape of Banchero and Holmgren moving the ball. Orlando will interview Suggs (Holmgren's high school teammate). OKC will remember how few shot creators they have on their team. They'll see Banchero's tape of drawing defenders. Not sure how Smith will stick at #1 or #2. They'll likely conclude that Smith might grow into a reliable 3 and D option but that he'll struggle to shoot over against bigger, more skilled defenders.

The Rockets will need to play coy and be impressed by Ivey and Sharpe's workouts and visions of small ball.

BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero has a little Karl Malone in him.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wow, so he is a dirty player and a flopper?

7. stab

stab Member

Very enviable position for the Rockets to be in. Whoever they get at 3, they can always say that they had him #1 on their big board. we need front court help, so any of the top three are just fine with me.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aha...I don't know about that, but offensively...

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats not how successful teams are built. You don’t just throw together athletic scorers and all of a sudden you have a championship contender. An identity needs to be established and the right combinations and synergy need to happen. All the current playoff teams have balance and certain things offset one another like lack of defense by herro complimented by strong defensive frontline. They don’t need a dynamic scoring pg. Lowry gets everyone involved and plays his role. Now Strus is playing the role of sharp shooter. Same with Boston who balances Brown and Tatum with tough defensive minded guys who can shoot. Klay Thompson isn’t an athletic one on one scorer but a sharp shooter and great defensive player who plays within his strengths not doing too much.

#169 Stephen_A, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If Jabari and Chet are gone, I want pick #6 and Indy’s unprotected 2023 pick for #3. Would Indy do it?

BHannes2BHonest and withmustard like this.
  11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

3d place is ok. 4th would have been way worse - 2nd would have been way better.. As it stands now, I guess we will take Paolo and that's ok. I don't like his streaky 3 point shot and his lack of enthusiasm on defense. I hope he doesn't turn into Wood 2.0. But there is a whole lot to like about him.

That being said, I am not so sure that Chet and Jabari are both gone at 3. Every prospect this draft has question marks. I could see other teams skipping Chet because of his frame and because there hasn't been a player like him in the NBA before, that succeeded. I could also see other teams pass on Jabari because of how bad he is at driving to the basket and finishing through traffic. Right now he is a strict 3 and D guy. Don't get me wrong, Jabari would be my number one pick but there definetly are things to worry.

And I also wouldn't count out a team drafting Ivey - especially Orlando.They have Franz Wagner who is kinda similar to Jabari (great perimeter defender, lengthy player than can play the 3 and 4 with a good outside shot) and they have Mo Bamba at C (and Wendell Carter Jr...). I could see them wanting to draft a star. And Ivey has the looks of a DWade, Ja Morant kind of player. You could easily pair him with Jalen Suggs, they would compliment each other quite well. They also have Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz, but I believe they could really use a star at the wing position (and none of the Gs seem like they could be really special). If I were them, I would definetly try to trade down, as far as 4th.

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would take Paolo over Ivey/Sharpe. If we draft anybody under 6’8 I’ll feel betrayed

I’m torn between Paolo/Chet. Paolo seems like he could be a very good glue guy. Strong, big, enough skill to go along with Sengun if KPK/Green are having a rough night. I don’t know why I’m not feeling Chet honestly

VoR likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are acting like we need to solve every potential problem with one pick. In the modern NBA a rim protector is only good if they can do two things

1: on offense create space and not be the guy that gets doubled off of (ie can shoot the 3 or create vertical spacing by being a rim runner)
    2. Not get picked on by guards on the perimeter.

Do I think Duren is that guy? Maybe, but he's a project and you don't need to pick him tomorrow and put him next to Banchero. First thing you need from Banchero is to work on his 3 point shot. Next thing is that you need for him to commit on the defensive end. If he can do those two things, he'll work out well. He's not Blake Griffin. His game doesn't depend on explosiveness, his arms aren't too short, and he probably won't have the same attitude. Banchero has strong mid-range game and should be a good shooter in this league unlike Griffin.

His defensive inefficiencies are overblown - you don't need a rim protector in the modern NBA, and it's not even necessary that you need guys who never get beat off the dribble so long as the team has hi IQ defenders who know how to cover a driving guard with help defenders and rotate to cover open shooters. And Banchero has that IQ.

I like Duren a lot, he seems to be a better Dwight Howard but the question is does he have the smarts to become a strong team defender and not just a rim protector. But it's not the end of the world if you have to start Banchero at the 4 with AP at the 5 as long as you make it clear to both that their starting roles depend on being efficient floor spacers and good team defenders.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Why? He's a bad hombre?

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's a mean ése.

thedude077 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hahachui

hahachui Member

I still hope no one picked chet and we got him.
    This guy is future super star

Rudyc281, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

To that I respond Ivey is a worse passer and has worse court vision than Banchero.

Is it not exponentially more important to be good at those as a guard?

Ivey's go to offensive move is to run past defender in a straight line. He ain't got no shake. Don't think that works in the NBA.

#177 Ekiu, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think Stone is in love with any of these guys to be honest. He is not going to waste assets moving up a pick or two and could very well eye a path with Murray or Sharpe if he gets blown away by some team wanting to move up. Its really not as serious as some people make it. Stone is sitting pretty and after how well he worked the last draft how can anyone doubt him? Sit at 3 with your feet on your desk and chill. No stress or pressure. Either you get a great deal to drop or you just take the player you think is best at 3. Most of the guys 1-10 would fit well next to Jalen anyway. Win/Win scenario.

Stephen_A, vince and Ekiu like this.
  19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Marketable? NBA doesn't market the rookies like they used to and if there was a marketable player of the bunch did you not see how they had Chet off to the side with David Robinson.

Got the hand shake and all. They didnt even let the peasants Banchero and Smith come near DRob's 75 royalty.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Orlando don't need a big. They'll go Banchero at #1.
    OKC will pick Chet - they need a big to compliment SGA and Giddies.
    That leaves us picking Jabari Smith.

That's my prediction anyway.

Stephen_A and hakeem94 like this.