1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is what I meant. The Country is heading 100% in the opposite direction of the GOP.

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

T_Man, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are Dems gonna go on the attack or just sit there trying to play nice like a bunch of b*tches?

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They won't be making issues of any of it. The Dems truly do suck at messaging.

ROCKSS, T_Man and Reeko like this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The issue with baby formula isn't the lack of money.....it's regulations blocking alternative supply

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Did you know that you can both identify a problem and disagree with one proposed solution to that problem because you prefer a different solution? The Democrats talk a lot about climate change being an existential crises, but also oppose building more nuclear power plants. That isn't a superpower or stunning cognitive dissonance, it is just a preference for a different policy solution to the problem.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is possible, but in this case has there been any Republican legislation brought up, proposed? Without that, they are just impeding solutions.

No Worries likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

no better eg than you, when debating racial diversity, lumping Asians and whites as one group

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What policy solution are you talking about?? How many alternative baby formula bills were written and brought to the house floor this week?

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. StupidMoniker

I haven't been following it that closely (not having a child that requires formula), but apparently Mike Lee proposed a bill that would reduce regulation and tariffs on foreign formula imports.
    Utah Sen. Mike Lee has proposed Formula Act to combat baby food shortage - Deseret News
    The Democrats of course control both houses of Congress, so nothing can be brought to the floor without their approval.

11. dobro1229

Not true. The House speaker controls what comes up for a vote, but they can write and propose bills all they want. I'm sure you of all people remember the times Al Green brought up an impeachment bill that had no chance of even coming to a vote. Plus all the Republicans sans MTG have committee assignments. They often write bills in committee and the committee chair has the power to recommend a bi-partisan bill to get brought up for vote.

So again I ask, how many Republican bills have been written and proposed that help solve the baby formula shortage? Even if you cannot a bill to the House floor for a vote, or out of committee, you still have the ability to speak on the House floor about a Bill you want to get passed, or at the very least go on FoxNews to promote. How many times have you seen a Republican Bill even being shopped on the House floor or in the Media from Republicans??

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

Brought to the floor = there is a vote. As I said, the Democratic leadership determines what gets a vote.
    At least one was proposed by Sen. Mike Lee. So far as I know, Leader Schumer has not put it before the Senate for a vote (after which it would be sent to the house if it passed). I provided a link to an article about it (which you quoted).

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

14. dobro1229

Mike Lee didn’t put a bill together at all. He just said that Congress should create a bill that cuts through red tape to allow for more imports. Guess what?? Joe Biden did that 2 days ago with an executive order and all the Republicans on queue went all nutso about it.

What Biden can’t do though is create additional budgetary spending as Congress has the power of the purse. So that’s why it’s important that executive orders have some legislation behind it so the president isn’t robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So I still don’t see a legitimate effort being made by Republicans to legislate in a meaningful way. If anything it’s the opposite so try and sabotage as bad as they can hoping voters blame Biden for it. Why else do you think those Republicans who voted in favor of the bi partisan infrastructure bill got the treatment they did?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/09/...n-republicans-voting-infrastrcutre/index.html

Sort of gives away the game right there. This isn’t a serious party working to legislate on behalf of the American people and the last few remaining Republicans trying to work with the other side on even the most benign of topic get crucified like Adam Kinzinger.

No Worries and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. RocketsDraftTV

joe biden holds executive order powers no excuses

cant wait for the midterms

red wave coming

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Heard that before

17. StupidMoniker

ROS22694 (senate.gov)

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Good turnout tuesday. Hopefully better in november so we can start to rebound.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member