1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

A lot of CF has him pencilled in as a future starter at C or PF, but he’s toast defensively at either position.

What if we don’t get Victor? The way people talk, next year’s draft is Victor or bust, and there’s an overwhelming chance we bust.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/18/n...win-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

1. Jabari Smith
    2. Chet Holmgren

3. Rockets: Paolo Banchero, F, Duke

Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 250 | Age: 19 | Freshman

Houston will draft in the top three for the third year in a row and has a clear need for frontcourt help, which will be available to them at this spot. While they didn’t win the lottery, they’re still in a favorable position here. Jaden Ivey doesn’t make a whole lot of sense next to the ball-dominant Jalen Green anyway, and Banchero would be an excellent fit if he falls here. The Rockets have the time and patience to find the right players to put around him, and he’s ready to produce as a rookie.

Banchero is the most polished offensive player in the draft, with a unique mix of power, skill and passing chops that lets him operate all over the floor as a playmaking fulcrum. Teams are openly wondering whether he’s a good enough defender to hold his own in the increasingly space-oriented NBA, and his jumper can be inconsistent. He had a strong freshman season on the whole and should be prepared to help contribute on a rebuilding team immediately. Banchero’s feel for scoring and finding teammates should take him a long way, and if his shot-making and defense trend up, there should be All-Star caliber seasons in his future. His playmaking should help take some pressure off Jalen Green, and he’d give Houston a second foundational piece to work with.

17. Rockets (from Nets): Ousmane Dieng, F, New Zealand Breakers

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 185 | Age: 18

Houston proved last year it was willing to think outside the box and again has multiple first-round picks to play with. The Rockets seem comfortable drafting international talent, and Dieng, who turns 19 on Saturday, started coming into his own toward the back end of his season in Australia. The Rockets’ roster could use a bigger wing or two, and Dieng’s size and playmaking potential might be of interest here, particularly as Houston is in no hurry to win games anytime soon. Dieng isn’t a great athlete and comes with some risk, but he appears to be on a positive trajectory. The Rockets can afford him time to learn. Based on the upside, his range starts in the teens and probably runs into the 20s.

red5rocket, BigMaloe, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I will be impressed if he can workout every top 5 prospect.

It will be a first for him.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yuck

Defense obviously doesn't matter.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They don’t. Kicks in the year after.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Portland is a potential trade partner at #7 I think. They are in win-now mode with Dame. And the Pels could also be a trade partner at #8. We all saw the moves they made at the deadline; they are focused on making a playoff run with Zion next year.

8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Okc don't get out 2023 pick iirc @D-rock correct me if I am wrong but I think 2023 our last year.

D-rock likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wow, I can’t believe they locked @KingCheetah ’s welcoming threat of Pablo Ranchero :D

hakeem94, Nook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  10. liveguy

liveguy Member

Def not hitching the wagon to any player, but the pick spot the Rockets have is perfect.

BPA is perfect and blameless for Stone.

I 100% agree with the poster that said the Rockets should also maneuver with pick 17, along with Wood or Gordon or both to move up and grab another solid player.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Last draft it was 99% workout and 1% tape.

hakeem94 and liveguy like this.
  12. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Top 3 pick is all we could ask for. Why the worry? I think Banchero is going to be a star. All 3 could be stars but honestly Iam a little worried about Chet the most of those 3.

13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

NBA has to give us #1 overall after failing two seasons in a row with the worse record.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a public square my voice has been censored.

@Clutch

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

D-rock likes this.
  16. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah thats the main reason I like Paolo the least of the top 3. I think Jabari is the most sure fire two way guy

D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You mean trading Wood/Ego right? Because I have no interest in trading down. Sit at 3 and hope you draft a superstar.

But yeah I'd definitely be interested in trading back into the top 10 using Wood/Ego or some package like that.

hakeem94, joshuaao and BigM like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your friend should watch Paolo too then if defense is his concern.

Both Chet and Jabari run circles around Paolo in this area.

Ayton and Gobert are below average perimeter defenders.

Not the case with either Chet or Jabari.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While it's true that Banchero's defense is a concern, he'll have the benefit of having Sengun out there to pick up some of the defensive slack.

hakeem94, mikenm268 and D-rock like this.