1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Max] Michael Mann’s Tokyo Vice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I totally got the feels for your first sentence.

2. dmoneybangbang

Really enjoying this, bit of a slow burn but it's worth it.

Watching this and Narcos season 2. Love me some Yakuza, Medellin Cartel, and Cali Cartel.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So apparently the 8th episode that recently aired is the season finale (and maybe series finale)?! That's kind of bullshit because almost nothing got resolved. It felt like the setup to an ACTUAL finale in an episode or two. Did they have to cut off filming of this show because of COVID or some other reason? It's really jarring to have liked this show so much and then find out that this is how they are ending it. I think the show was described as a "limited series" too so maybe they won't even make anymore seasons?

Pretty disappointed, HBO. This show was great, now I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from under me.

dmoneybangbang and clos4life like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think there's a chance they'll renew it. I heard mini series before too but it's been picking up in popularity by a good amount and there's been a lot more rumors lately pointing to "yes". Hopefully it's true, I still have 3 episodes left but it's pretty good so far.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome show. I’ve read the viewership is high and the reviews match. Can’t wait for season 2.

I was thinking about it, and the few fights we see in this show are very realistic. They're not choreographed martial arts dance scenes. The people end up wrestling around like a real fistfight.

Now I must binge Yakuza media in all forms.

#25 Xerobull, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
  6. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

They haven't announced a season 2 yet. I swear I think they always planned on this being a one and done, which is just baffling considering how many threads they just left completely up in the air.

jiggyfly, clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I heard you get insider info if you have meth on you.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was trying to find some non-fiction after watching a few episodes. No luck the review I read for the book the show is based on was a no go.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

I don't see how that's possible the way it ended.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

When they uncovered the Pokemon Trading Card Company as a cover for the cocaine traffiking industry... I was shook.

Xerobull and B-Bob like this.
  11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I don't either, but apparently there were tweets at one point referring to the final episode as the "series finale" and not "season finale" that were then edited. It may have just been a mistake, but from what I understand the show was pretty popular. These days new seasons get announced pretty soon after the season completes if not during the season, so that we still have no news makes me wonder. Maybe it's an actor availability thing. If either of Ken Watanabe or Ansel Elgort weren't there then you might as well not have another season.

12. Xerobull

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Moon Knight? I know they 'mistweeted' on that show.

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, maybe you are right. I can't seem to find anything on it now. My mistake. Still, it seems weird to me that with as much as was left in the air at the end of season 1 that they wouldn't have already had a plan for season 2 with actors under contract.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I am thinking covid played a role in the number of episodes for Tokyo Vice (especially if it were to remain a limited series ie maybe they didn't get to wrap it all up as planned). I'm pretty optimistic on it having a 2nd season though because of the popularity/reviews, but atm I can't even find it being mentioned as a limited series so we'll see.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Finally watched this and man that was an abrupt ending even for a season finale.

I enjoyed it but I think they may have tried to do too much I would like to know how much of this was in the book?

So who could have sent that videotape to the white reporter, it seemed pretty ridiculous for that tape to just end up on his door, how would anybody know to send him that tape?

clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  16. Xerobull

After this show I looked up some Yakuza manga (there are A LOT). After sampling a few, I settled on Shinjuku Swan, which is about good looking young male scouts that recruit sex workers in Japan.

[​IMG]

It's pretty eye opening and goes into hosts/hostesses, 'soapland' clubs where men can get limited (legal) sexual favors, and the adult film industry. The main characters aren't expressly Yakuza, but the Yakuza definitely runs the show from behind the scenes.

What I really got from the manga, and this show, is that debt is a very big influence in Japan due to laws and culture. It's shameful to be in debt and people are driven to do crazy **** (or kill themselves) out of shame.

Fascinating.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those host clubs are crazy, they did that really well in the show, its crazy how women pay all of that money for the host just to get attention.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

19. Aware

Aware Member

the hostess thing is pretty wild lol

i lived in southern japan for a bit and i think all that stuff generally comes from how much society pressure there is to be married and have a family by 30. you can be an older unmarried guy but if youre a woman thats not married by 30, people assume there is something wrong with you. So because the pressure is so great to be married, a lot of people get into these terrible marriages where there is no communication or affection. its not like its encouraged but cheating is kinda accepted as long as it stays in private and the bills get payed. Hosts are there for those women who want to feel wanted.

Xerobull and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Castor27 likes this.