1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Angels up 2-1 on the A's, top of the 7th in Oakland, it's a good game.

2. Buck Turgidson

And the A's are ****ing worthless this year.

3. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Phillies bullpen implodes again, this time to the Dodgers. I bet they are wishing they had Neris about now.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say I'm starting to think the Angels might actually have a team. They got few guys that hit the ball hard. The days of the flubber ball have ended at least temporally which makes the great players worth even more.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The team, if healthy, should compete for a Wild Card spot. If I recall though, they have little depth in the case of injuries. Their starting 5 is solid to good, but 6+ in the rotation is struggles.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I hadnt realized that the league OPS for 2022 is .683. Was .728 just last year. .758 in 2019.

Its really dropped that much? Got to go back to 1976 to find a lower one.
    Were dead balls to blame then also? ;)
    Or guys just couldn't hit as well back then? :D

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/bat.shtml

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Yep. All stats should be viewed through this lens.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I do think the dead ball is very much to the Astros’ advantage and when the shift goes away watch out for Alvarez and Tucker. That should elevate those guys into MVP territory as their OBP will sky rocket. For all his greatness, Verlander can give too many HR’s especially in the post season.

9. Buck Turgidson

JV's got his lowest HR/9 in 8 years (tied) at .8

Highest of his career were '16-20

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

At the time, no no-hitter had ever been lost. I think it's been done two or three times since, but they keep changing the definition of no-hitter. I think last nights game isn't officially a no-hitter because the winning team didn't bat in the 9th.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are two competing explanations. The new parks were shrinking so fly balls were HRs instead of outs and they introduced the DH in the AL. Think Astrodome vs Enron/MMP. So that explains the upsurge. But the current dead-ball may have an early season cold weather bias and a shortened preseason. We'll just have to see if it continues into the summer.

12. Buck Turgidson

Nope, the definition of "official no-hitter" is the same as it's been since 1991.

A no-hitter is defined by MLB: "An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings."[3] This 1991 definition by MLB's Committee for Statistical Accuracy caused previously recognized no-hitters of fewer than nine innings or where the first hit had been allowed in extra innings to be stricken from the official record books. Games lost by the visiting team in 8+1⁄2 innings but without allowing any hits do not qualify as no-hitters, as the visiting team has only pitched eight innings

Last night doesn't officially count because they didn't pitch 9 innings. Combined no-hitters do count. Like this one:

#672 Buck Turgidson, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    RunninRaven likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pitchers have been getting better faster than hitters. Here's a quick graph of OPS before and during juiced ball era with a hand-drawn extrapolation of OPS if it continued on trend prior without juiced ball. Hitters have made up some ground with improving launch angles, but I'd expect the current OPS to be even worse if most of the pitchers were still using sticky stuff. It is really hard to hit a baseball, and pitchers just aren't throwing as many slow fastballs as they use to.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 135907.png

jim1961 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Somewhere in the near future

Click: "If nobody got me, Tucker has me! Am I right? Look, I've spoken to Crane. We've come up with a deal that works for both sides. 5 years/ 25 million."

Tucker: "5 years, 25 million per? Get me a lifetime steam account and I'm in."

Click: "No no no. 25 million in total for those 5 years."

Tucker: (hangs up)

Crane to us: "We could not reach an agreement. We tried. But if you guys could buy out our delicious fruit loop hot dogs then we could probably afford these players."

raining threes and J.R. like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yesterday Buxton hit a home run at Target field and the Twins celebrated the "1000th Twins HR hit at Target Field". Sadly, they were wrong. It was actually number 999. They counted a HR hit by Sano that was hit in Puerto Rico where the Twins were the designated home team, as a HR hit in Minnesota.

JeeberD and everyday eddie like this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Was watching the twins-As game and had the As booth on. They started to talk about sign stealing from runners on second and how they had to change hand signs to mix it up and how it can get pretty intricate. The fact the As camera guy decided to pan towards Correa and just sit on him while they discussed this issue, was pretty funny/infuriating to me.

jim1961 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Buck Turgidson

Never had one of those, but if it's anything like breaking a rib it ****ing sucks.

19. Buck Turgidson

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Altuve won't be able to hit late inning homeruns off of Green for awhile.