1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buffalo Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 15, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The victims of the shooting.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/15/us/buffalo-shooting-victims-what-we-know/index.html

A 'hero' security guard, a former fire official's mother and a teacher were among the 10 people killed at a Buffalo grocery store

(CNN)Thirteen people were shot -- 10 fatally -- at a Buffalo, New York, supermarket Saturday in a massacre authorities believe was racially motivated.

Eleven of the victims were Black and two were White, Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said Saturday.
    The victims range in age from 20 to 86, police said. Among them were a former police officer who tried to stop the gunman, the octogenarian mother of the city's former fire commissioner and a long-term substitute teacher.
    Buffalo police identified all of the victims late Sunday:

• Roberta A. Drury, 32, of Buffalo
    • Margus D. Morrison, 52, of Buffalo
    • Andre Mackneil, 53, of Auburn, New York
    • Aaron Salter, 55, of Lockport, New York
    • Geraldine Talley, 62, of Buffalo
    • Celestine Chaney, 65, of Buffalo
    • Heyward Patterson, 67, of Buffalo
    • Katherine Massey, 72, of Buffalo
    • Pearl Young, 77, of Buffalo
    • Ruth Whitfield, 86, of Buffalo
    • Zaire Goodman, 20, of Buffalo, was treated and released from hospital
    • Jennifer Warrington, 50, of Tonawanda, New York, was treated and released from hospital
    • Christopher Braden, 55, of Lackawanna, New York, had non-life threatening injuries
    New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced $2.8 million in funding for the victims and their families, according to a statement from her office.
    "The past 24 hours have been traumatizing for New Yorkers," Hochul said in a statement Sunday. "The entire world is watching how we will come together as New Yorkers to overcome this unthinkable tragedy. Buffalo, my hometown, is the City of Good Neighbors and New York State will be good neighbors for them."

New York State's Office of Victim Services (OVS) will be in Buffalo throughout the week to help administer funding and assist victims and families in obtaining financial assistance from the state, the statement read.
    According to Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown, the suspected shooter -- Payton S. Gendron, an 18-year-old White man -- traveled hours to target the Tops Supermarket in a predominantly Black neighborhood.
    Investigators are also reviewing a purported manifesto posted online Saturday in connection with the shooting probe, two federal law enforcement officials told CNN. The manifesto's author describes himself as a fascist, a White supremacist and an anti-Semite.
    While authorities identified the victims, details about who they were and the lives they lived have started to emerge.
    Here's what we know about them.

Aaron Salter
    The mayor identified the "hero" security guard who engaged the suspect but was fatally shot as Aaron Salter, a former Buffalo police lieutenant.

Salter was well respected throughout the police department, Brown told CNN's "New Day Weekend," and had worked at the supermarket for several years after retiring.
    Salter "is a hero who tried to protect people in the store, tried to save lives and in the process, lost his own life," Brown said.
    The supermarket's security guard "fired multiple shots at the suspect" when he entered the store, Gramaglia previously said, but the suspect was wearing tactical gear that protected him from the guard's gunfire.

Ruth Whitfield

Brown identified one of the victims to CNN as 86-year-old Ruth Whitfield, the mother of former Buffalo Fire Commissioner Garnell Whitfield.
    Brown saw the former commissioner soon after the shooting walking on Jefferson Avenue, the road outside the supermarket, he told worshipers at the True Bethel Baptist Church on Sunday. The mayor assumed Whitfield was there to lend a hand and asked if he was there to help.
    "He said, 'Yes, mayor. But I'm here because I'm looking for my mother,'" Brown said.
    Ruth Whitfield was visiting the former commissioner's father in the nursing home, as she did each day, he told the mayor, and she stopped at the supermarket to buy some groceries.
    "We've been calling her and she's not answering the cell phone. And her car is still in the parking lot. And I'm afraid that she's one of the victims of this shooting," Brown recalled Garnell Whitfield saying.
    His fears were later confirmed, Brown said.
    Speaking at the same event, Hochul said, "We must do something about this."
    "I thought I was strong," she said, "but hearing the mayor tell the story of our commissioner who's dedicated his life to saving lives and loses his mother over an act of racism and White supremacy in this community -- now I'm angry, my friends."
    Pearl Young

Pearl Young, 77, was a substitute teacher and a "true pillar in the community," her family said in a statement.
    "Pearl was a long-term substitute teacher with the Buffalo Public School District and recently worked at Emerson School of Hospitality," according to the statement obtained by CNN.
    "If there is one consolation that we can take from this tragedy is that we know that mom is up in heaven with our dad (her Ollie) and dancing and shouting with our heavenly father," the statement read.
    Geraldine Talley
    Geraldine Talley, 62, was doing her regular grocery shopping with her fiancé on Saturday when she was shot and killed, her niece Lakesha Chapman told CNN.
    Chapman lives in Atlanta and had just arrived in Buffalo to be with family on Sunday when she talked to CNN by telephone.
    Chapman called Talley her "Auntie Gerri" and said she was an amazing woman. She said Talley was her father's little sister.

"She's sweet, sweet, you know, the life of the party," Chapman said. "She was the person who always put our family reunion together, she was an avid baker ... mother of two beautiful children."
    "She was just a lover," Chapman said. "I mean she didn't meet a stranger, and that's why this hurts so much."
    Chapman said Talley was at the front of the store when the shooting started and her fiancé had gone to get orange juice, so he was able to escape unharmed.
    Five hours went by before her family found out she had been killed, Chapman said.
    "We're outraged," she said. "This is not, obviously, the first racially-triggered attack in America. However it is the first that hits our home."
    She said it was "the most numbing, numbing feeling ever."
    "She was shopping and this man comes out of his neighborhood to attack because of her skin color, because of her ZIP code, you know, because it was predominantly Black," Chapman said. "She was innocent. And it's -- there's no words to describe it."

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Probably hanging a “**** your feelings” trump flag in their yard.

jiggyfly, Reeko, Blatz and 1 other person like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

The fun patrol people are also the right

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

5. No Worries

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And what makes it so cringe is that AroundtheWorld is German...like, really?

AroundTheWorld and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Thoughts and prayers because no one cares.

This is just going to continue folks. Only one of three things will stop it.

1) Australia/Japan level gun control (not going to happen)

2) Elimination of media “news” channels that are just biased and prejudiced cesspools wanting to anger people and drive views and clicks with baseless conspiracy theories. (Not going to happen)

3) Wait until our population is so integrated and intermixed that the idea of discrimination and racism is completely silly. Also religion disappears and all of the hated and fear that comes with it. (Should only take a couple more centuries.)

Maybe in my great grandkids lifetime we can be free of the threat of right wing violence.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've learned, we've just decided that any action at all is too hard.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is not a true statement. New York passed some of the toughest gun control laws in the country following the Sandy Hook shootings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act

Those laws did not stop the Buffalo shooter, for many reasons. To say that "any action at all is too hard" really misstates the reality of successful gun control efforts in places like New York state.

Nook, durvasa and mtbrays like this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stand corrected! Thanks, Os.

durvasa likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

GRT stands for Great Replacement Theory. It’s a theory that there is a plot to replace political power and culture of white people with non-white people. This theory has recently been pushed by Republicans in Congress and the folks on Fox News.

As we can see, people hear this crap and they respond with violence.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think the issue is so much about a push for non-white people to have more "power" (i.e., be it political or economic). This is clearly a goal for many on the left -- even those who are left-of-center. That's not the controversial part.

The theory is really focused on various policies to achieve that end by reducing the proportion of white people in the general population -- most notably relaxing immigration policies.

14. No Worries

Making Sense of the Racist Mass Shooting in Buffalo

An expert on the white-power movement and the “great replacement” theory puts the act of terror in context.

I spoke by phone with Kathleen Belew, an assistant professor of history at the University of Chicago and the author of “Bring the War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America.” During our conversation, which has been edited for length and clarity, we discussed the alleged shooter’s influences, why the notion of a “great replacement” has gained a foothold in the United States and elsewhere, and how the media and political actors have used the theory to their benefit.

This theory seems to be useful for people in many different countries, and to target many different groups. Can you describe what it is, how it has changed over time, and how it’s become so useful to people such as this alleged shooter?

We can get into the textual background of the term if you want to, but it’s basically a new language for the same set of ideas that have worked to connect many different kinds of social threats into one broadly motivating, violent, and frightening world view for people in the white-power movement and on the militant right. The idea is simply that many different kinds of social change are connected to a plot by a cabal of élites to eradicate the white race, which people in this movement believe is their nation. It connects things such as abortion, immigration, gay rights, feminism, residential integration—all of these are seen as part of a series of threats to the white birth rate. One thing you’ll notice in the manifestos and in the talking points, really going back through the twentieth century, is this focus on the reproductive capacity of white women in maintaining the white race as a nation.

Buck Turgidson and durvasa like this.
  15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The "ghetto violence" isn't ignored and is frequently talked about. I hear about Chicago weekly, if not more. I live near Memphis and Little Rock and hear about the violence in these places almost daily. It is only ignored because you choose to ignore it otherwise it is frequently reported, talked about, etc.

I hate the term "black on black violence or crime" because it is straight bs. Something like 80% of violence done on black people is done by other black people. If you change that race to white, the percentage is about the same. People usually commit crime on others within their proximity and most of the time that just so happens to be people of the same race. The term "black on black crime" is usually just a way to deflect from other, real issues.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also black on black crime has an entire different set of sources of how the problem started (wealth inequality) compared to to targeted white supremacist attacks on black communities (online radicalization, radicalization of the GOP etc)

Newlin and Lil Pun like this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's talked about daily because it happens daily. Of course it's reported, its murder but it isn't talked about for here in terms of things likegun control.

As far as the issue with the term black on black violence, I really don't understand what point people are trying to make.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...der-wave-fell-most-heavily-on-young-black-men

2020 those identifying or identified as Black or African American made up 13.5% of the U.S. population, according to CDC estimates (that for definitional and other reasons don’t quite match the results of the 2020 U.S. Census). They also made up 55.6% of the homicide victims, and 65.6% of the increase in homicides relative to 2019. To put it another way, the homicide rate for Black Americans rose from 22.9 per 100,000 in 2019 to 30.7 in 2020. For all other Americans, the rate went from 3.2 to 3.8.

I don't want to have this argument here. But on gun control, you will not make any headway when only bringing it up talking about mass shootings

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Lil Pun

Also on the news in Houston, an 11black kid was killed in a drive by by a 19 year old after a fight with a 16 year old. Where I'd the anger at that?

@fchowd0311

These type of incidents have nothing to do with poverty

#78 pgabriel, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right. It's the same logic as to why Russia is attacking Ukraine and not Honduras or Argentina. Your neighbors are the people you are most likely to have conflict with. Whether it be fighting over resources, or property disputes, or just good ole fashion annoyance, your neighbors are who you are most likely to have a conflict with.

Which makes this terrorist attack that much more stark in the fact that this guy drove HOURS to inflict harm on a community he had no interaction with on a daily basis that did nothing to him in his personal life other than represent something he read about in the Turner Diaries, on a 4Chan thread, or on Tucker Carlson.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As others have stated, this kid and thoe like him are beyond racist. There is a mental issue at the top of the list of problems. I don't really know what you can do to stop someone like this from falling down these rabbit holes

The GOP''s current rhetoric towards Hispanics is appalling. That being said, this is the result of very focused and extreme and I'm not putting that on the GOP

ROXRAN likes this.