1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

tinman likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I had a thin green vertical line on that new Samsung. After I left it unplugged overnight, it was gone. But not good.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Which model did you get?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Samsung QN900A 85" Class HDR 8K UHD Smart QLED TV

tinman likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice TV! hopefully it was something random, if not, maybe you can still exchange it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe if the warranty was longer than 90 days. But for a 90 day warranty on a $1200 purchase? BTW, after owning it for a few months now, I love this tv (the Costco version). Save up and buy a new one from Costco... get around 5 years of warranty.... $100 in streaming credits.... etc, etc.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It said open-box. If the hours are low and the uniformity test is fine, I don't see the harm. LG does panel replacements out-of-warranty for egregious problems. You can lookup "LG one time complementary panel replacement" for stories.

CCity Zero, jiggyfly and tinman like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, your link took me to my store in the DFW area since it defaults there. That was just a refurb. I'm still not sure I'd buy an open-box, but I'd take a chance on it more than a refurb. Also see "REMAINING MANUFACTURER WARRANTY APPLIES" ... not sure what that means. How do you calculate that? Wonder if it's a display model.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looks like they've been clearing out the C1's everywhere for the incoming C2's. People have been reporting nutty prices for them. There have been multiple reports on deal sites of Target clearing out the 65" ones for around $630. It's a $1700-$2000 tv, normally. I would think most Targets have been cleaned out. This guy posted his receipt of his purchase from a Target in a burb not far from me in the DFW area for a 65" :

[​IMG]

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't even know Target carried TV's that expensive. Shooooot. I'd buy one for no reason at that price. How do I check inventory? I have to visit the store? I remember with PS5 there was inventory checker.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thinking about getting a small monitor (27-32in) for some PS5 gaming and occasional 2nd monitor use. Any recommendations? Upon researching, it seems like they all have some sort of drawback. There is no perfect solution. Prefer it can do 120hz, HDR & 4K. Leaning towards the M28U but not really excited about it.

42in C2 seems like a no-brainer but I really need to keep the size down.

tinman likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Those things are probably all gone, but you could probably use brickseek or just go to Target's site and use zipcodes near you. Not sure how accurate brickseek would be.

I have a several-year-old samsung 27" (or maybe it's 24") tv next to my pc monitors in my geek room that I always wanted to replace when it died, but it doesn't die. For me, the size is fine, and that's the problem. They don't make decent tv's that small anymore. I didn't want a bigger tv I'd have to mount because then I'd be looking off at an angle or above if I mounted it on the wall. Maybe a 32" or something wouldn't be too big. In any case, I'm just waiting for the old one to die.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I wouldn't buy open box, especially if they come with compromised warranty.

Costco has them with some promo material as well as 5 year warranty included in the deal from All State (2 years from Costco and 3 years from All State).

You can also try Greentoe and get cheaper price than Costco (save on tax and shipping as well) but warranty will be standard. Greentoe sellers are authorized dealers.

I went with LG G1 for bedroom and got one via Greentoe. G1 screen comes with 5 years warranty from LG so I saved money there and got my warranty.

For the living room, I went with 77 Sony A80CJ. Paid $2600 but I also got the 5 year warranty from Costco included AND at the time I got $500 gift card thrown in as well. That was slick.

#475 Zboy, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    tinman likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I got my C9 from Greentoe. LG is known to replace panels out of warranty (one time only).

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

tinman likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

For 4k and if you use it for a 2nd monitor at 100% scaling I'd just go for the 42" OLED, I mean unless your main monitor is already better than that, it would be really nice. Like I think 1440p at 27" is the sweet spot for a monitor ppi, in the 30s probably some ultra wide, but 4k I really prefer 40" range for any monitor use/sitting close. Normally at that point it can just be your only monitor too.

I know that didn't help w/ your original question, haha, I just know you're basically getting less out of it going too small, maybe not too much if just ps5 use, but for PC/desktop use 4k at 30" seems like a waste imo.

Ziggy likes this.