1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Here's this article from Rome during spring training... guess he didn't handle the massive transition from high school to the pros particularly well and it just snowballed on him mentally.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Well, that happens too.

I edited above because maybe I was thinking about Joe Perez (injury-wise) and not him.

3. HTown2017Champs

Perez (2017 2nd rounder) was injured after he was drafted as well. We took Schroeder the next year, also in the 2nd. For as much success Luhnow has had in the draft, 2nd rounders under him seem to be cursed. Other (non-comp and non-CBA) 2nd round picks include Nolan Fontana (2012), AJ Reed (2014), and Ronnie Dawson (2016).

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

You're right about Perez... he was recovering from Tommy John when the Astros drafted him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So, Will Wagner has an 8-game hitting streak for Asheville.

Maybe yet another late-round pick who finds a way to Houston?

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

How much are ticket and Alvarez going to get in arbitration next year? All time record is what- $11,000,000? They really gonna hit 8 figs in arbitration? Especially Yordan, who mostly plays DH?
    If they are truly going to have a shot at $10,000,000 this off-season it seems like an extension has little to no chance of happening as that’s already a big enough pay day they ought to be able to wait for FA.
    I think they are both just 3 years of arbitration guys, right?

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I already have him listed at 2nd base 2024. Don't know if he can be held back that long but I believe he is a credible Altuve replacement when the time comes.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I didn't realize that Leon was considered a plus defender.

9. HTown2017Champs

Like Pena, he has MLB bloodlines, too. I like what Wagner has done so far in the lower levels, and I have legitimate hope for him as a future MLB contributor. He was definitely one of my favorite picks from last year's draft.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Leon might have the strongest throwing arm of any position player in Houston’s system. He takes good routes and has elite speed. He has potential to be an elite defender. Personally I think his body type comes with risk that he will lose a lot of speed if he gains weight, but that’s only my speculation and likely only an issue way down the road. Leon has a LOT of defensive value.

11. raining threes

Thanks Luhnow

If Click does his job the Stros can be contenders for another 5 years.

Just gotta hit on one or 2 draft picks or international guys every year. This isn't impossible, you also need to be aggressive on the trade market and don't hold onto guys for too long.

This can be done.

12. Buck Turgidson

Just to even the conversation out:

Luhnow had multiple years of #1 overall draft picks and bonus 1st rounders because of Luhnow

Click had multiple years of #1 and #2 draft picks taken away because of Luhnow and Hinch

Click deserves more time, on both the minor and major league levels.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Before he ever played in the system- based on scouting grades and physical build- I thought about Raul Mondesi as a comp.

How close was I?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. raining threes

If Yuli stays it will be as an everyday 1st baseman. IMHO

15. Buck Turgidson

As far as I could tell from, none were intentional walks and a bunch of them were on 3-2 counts. I would pay no attention to the HBP or the IBB because that's just not going to be a thing in the majors. At least for a while until he establishes himself as a guy who doesn't K all the time.

Look at what Siri did in AAA last year before coming up. How is Leon different?

16. raining threes

Agreed.

But guys like Javier, Garcia,Yuli,Pena,Meyers,Urquidy etc... weren't 1st rd picks. Then the AAA squad has enough talent to supplement the major league club and and none of those guys are 1st rd picks. I'm expecting this kind of production from Click.

everyday eddie, Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Leon hits for more power despite dead ball. Walks more despite pitchers knowing about dead ball. Leans into inside pitches better. Gets swinging strikes about 25% (about 4 percentage points) less often.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow was the best at bringing in talent via draft and IFA. Even he said it was getting more competitive. As such, no current GM is likely to match what Luhnow did regarding draft and IFA.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I don't care jack **** about scouting grades...but that's a really good comparison as an actual player on the field. I doubt he has quite the howitzer arm in RF/CF that Raul had, but I bet he's faster (and they're the same size but Raul bulked up later, not sure how)....so?

Snake Diggit likes this.