1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he thinks those players can always be gotten later
    unfortunately it will cost
    plus I don't think he likes Scouting and Drafting much

Rocket River

BallSoHarden, vince and roslolian like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Willie Cauley-Stein - Morey doing Morey things?

Rocket River

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think we need to downgrade Morey in light of the Harden trade.

If Harden demands a max Morey could just let him walk, and they lose 2 frps, Seth Curry, Drummond and Simmons for nothing. Thats got to be back breaking.

If you add the trolling he did in the offseason it just makes him look worse imo. Like temas like Sas, Ind and GSW were seriously thinking about getting Simmons he made dumb demands nobody will do like the 2 lottos of GSW+3 picks and then one other young player. In the end he played himself.

So far I give him a D as a GM. Seems like getting Danny Green and Maxey are the only positive moves he has made so far and thats outweighd by his mistakes.

Roomba, cheke64 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Interesting. I always thought that Brand was fired and replaced with Morey. But when I looked it up I see Brand is still with the team.

Seeing that Brand was retained as GM but Morey is above him as President of Basketball Operations (POBO) is it basically that Morey is GM and Brand demoted to assistant GM in all but name?

A lot of teams do have a "President" that only handles financial matters while the GM has full authority over personnel decisions (only subject to owner veto) like Rafael Stone. AFAIK, there is no POBO above Stone.

Anyone who understands the 76ers structure please explain this.

roslolian likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think Morey's problem is that he's lost the edge he used to have. Every team has an analytics department now. So he's competing with GMs that have all the same information but with better agent connections or player relationships.

All the cap creativity in the world can't beat the love players have for South Beach and respect for a legend like Pat Riley.

Maybe if he took over the Lakers he could recover some of his reputation.

Roomba, roslolian and Easy like this.
  6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It was a great trade for Philly. Those 2 frp's were likely to be low, right? So he probably wanted to get rid of them (he seemed to prefer high 2nd round picks). And Simmons wasn't going to play another game for Philly so his value was limited. Drummond was signed for the veteran minimum, right? He seems destined to be a perennial backup going forward. Seth Curry is the biggest lost for them, but when you consider Harden's upside, you make that trade every day.

Also even if Morey lets Harden walk, no one will pay him the max, and Philly will most likely offer the most.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Another weakness is that analytics is only good for players with large sample size good NBA data. This is why he has never been great at the draft. Recognizing unproven talent is more of an art than a science. It takes basketball experience and instinct, which Morey has none. He compensated by using draft picks as trade assets rather than actually drafting potential talents.

8. Asian Sensation

Philly is a f*cked franchise top to bottom. They should have kept Butler instead of Tobias Harris. Bringing in Morey was a fail that added more fail on top of their fails since he just had to bring in his love child. No matter how this Harden saga ends it’s gonna be bad. Opt in? Bad. Anywhere close to the max? Really really bad. Super max? Gonna be one of the worst contracts in recent history.

Philly could have had Embiid, Butler, kept Curry, Drummond, the 2 First round picks AND gotten CJ McCollum + Anfernee Simons + more assets just over the last few years.

roslolian and cheke64 like this.
  9. Asian Sensation

And Willie Cauley-Stein did WCS things. Not even a certain bearded bum could ‘unlock’ him. What if I were to tell you Morey and Harden aren’t the miracle workers you think they are.

[​IMG]

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Doc and Morey are good for each other. Doc is riding the 2008 title and Morey is riding the Harden OKC trade.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You got it man. Morey was brought in to be the real gm after Brand ****ed up with Tobias Harris and Al Horford. Not sure who picked fultz might be either brand or colangelo.

Entropy likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Everyone on earth thought Fultz was going to be #1 though.

King1 likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Low frps are better than 2nd rounders, and Philly didnt get any 2nd rounders anyway so what does Morey preferring 2nd rounders have anything to do with this trade? If you get fired from your job can you say thats ok cuz you would prefer being a billionaire instead? Lol makes zero sense.

Simmons wasnt gonna play but remember there was an offer of lotto pick and Brogdon for him. Morey held bsck cuz he wanted to do fhat Harden trade from the start of the season thats why he was making all those clown ass demands.

Not sure how much Harden will make but anything above midlevel seems overpayment with the way he has played.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah but remember Philly trsded up to get him they werent supposed to get Fultz it was either Tatum or Ball.

Its like if Atlanta traded up to get Ayton and gave Doncic to Suns.

#534 roslolian, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    DreamShook likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Partly yes, but part is also his arrogance and tendency to double down and screw the future for the present.

For example he should have been desperately trying to get rid of Simmons to Rox on the get go, wasnt really proactive and got bitten to the punch by the Nets (thank god). Then like I said he made all thise clown ass demands that infuriated GM so much they leaked his trade demands. Raptors prob got Barnes partly as an FU to Morey since they were also trying to get Simmons, I doubt they take Barnes with Simmons on board.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Disagree, Morey is ok with the draft problem is his philosophy was wack. Remember he got Lowry, Parsons, brooks, Capela, Landry, Patterson, Dragic etc all those gems in the draft or with little games under their belt.

His philosophy was the problem, prior to the Harden trade he just wnated guys who had star potential even if they had 99% bust rate he was on record saying he'd draft Thabeet and thats also why we kept getting busts left and right like Squid, Thabeet, Thomas Robinson etc.

After the Harden trade Morey judt focused on instant impact and would kick anybody who didnt blow up like CWood, Robert Covington and Lin.

Our current GM Stone never played in the NBA as well, dude was a lawyer. But look at his drafts so far he has been money. So nah you dont need bball experience. Brand got Fultz and MJ got Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison. Analytics isnt perfect but its better than nothing hence why almost every team except the Lakers have an anlaytics dept now.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  17. foh

foh Member

Not sure half of those names apply as "star potential". And you added Lin into the category of instant impact? I thought you were not a fan of that trade.

Can you definitively say that Morey's draft picks are better than average (by say money earned compared to other lottery picks of same order). And I don't really understand how parson got his max contracts - Morey certainly didn't think he was worth them.

Maxey's 3 point shooting sky rocketing is something Morey can predict with analytics? If so, then he might be a genius after all, but I suspect it was luck.

Being lucky is only half the trick. There has to be some culture building and Morey really lacks in that department

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What I'm saying is, he had no edge in drafting like he had in trades because back then only a few teams utilized analytics. But analytics isn't that useful for evaluating draft prospects because they don't have good data.

He got some gems from the 2nd round probably because those were players who didn't have the talent to turn pro in a young age and thus had more data for evaluation. (BTW, he didn't draft Lowry and Dragic.) Even after he drafted a player, he often traded them as assets rather than wait for their development. For example, a lot of people talk about him taking Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard with the #14 pick. But few people notice that he traded Morris for a 2nd round pick after just less than two seasons. Morris tuned out to have a decent NBA career while the second round pick became Isaiah Canaan.

His biggest achievement was trading the corpse of TMac for Kevin Martin, and then flipped Martin for Harden. The Harden deal was what defined his career in Houston. Maybe that's why he valued Harden so much doing everything he could to keep Harden happy. I've always felt that without the Harden trade, Morey's career as a GM would have been viewed to be above average at best, and mediocre at worst.

roslolian and Asian Sensation like this.
  19. foh

foh Member

The guy is pretty much a bargain hunter. I mean we always expected the unexpected trade in middle of a season. That includes his obsession with points per play metric. Kinda like Harden who invented moves to hunt for plus ones. (And then when league clamped down on it or when playoff was reffed much more losely, her lost interest in scoring half the time and preferred finding assists). No wonder they like each other so much. It will be ironic if Harden who made Morey will become his undoing.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

In the words of Michael Ray Richardson The ship be sinking and in the ship I mean Harden's game and he is going to take Morey down with him