1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign David Nwaba (3 years, $15M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess I'm more than anything trying to wrap my brain around the Eric Gordon non-trade because Stone didn't want, for some reason, to add another rookie because of roster spots or salary. That's the exact reason why you don't waste a precious roster spot on someone like Nwaba who I could have told you wasn't really a super valuable NBA asset. Reminds me alot of Chuck Hayes except Chuck did actually earn minutes and help those teams win games. I get that he does some things well but there's a reason why nobody in the league other than the Rockets wanted to give him a deal.

Most teams feel like at any point there are 30 David Nwaba's out there they could pick up out the G-League or playing in Europe or whatnot. If his deal was that team light of a deal, I don't know for the life of me why Nwaba and his agent didn't sign the same deal with a team like Philly or the Clippers or whomever that might actually play him in meaningful games. On this team he serves no value other than an excuse for Stone to for some reason not want to trade for a late first round draft pick which you just never know... could be a pretty damn good player once they get in the league.

(also I kinda think Stone is lying about just deciding they "didn't want" another first round pick this year. I think he overplayed his hand, other teams called his bluff, and left him at the table playing by himself.)

If the Rockets feel like they need to have a Delfino type of veteran on the team every year just to show the youngsters the ropes, and help the coach out that's fine... but a "Delfino type" should ALWAYS be on a one year contract IMO. Maybe we actually NEED a Delfino type this year but David Nwaba's roster spot and salary are the excuse that Stone and co. use to not actually go get a Delfino.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I get that. I guess it's just the philosophy of me thinking that on this team I'm only signing people for more than one year that I know are talented enough to never be denied minutes on a team this bad regardless of fit. If its even a question, then you shouldn't be getting more than 1 season. Especially this year where this (hopefully) might be our last year to be a bad team. I want maximum roster spots and time given to the highest upside players we can get our hands on. If we need one Delfino type for locker room or game play reasons fine... but one year only on those deals. I'm sure Vince Carter is still in shape. Hell let's finally bring over Sergio Llull for a year!!

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nwaba is an interesting player. I think the Rockets had a lot of hope on his potential. They saw him as a 3-D guy that could bolster the bench. Remember Morey signed him in 2020 and released Hartenstein. Then he re-signed last year on this 15 mil deal. Rockets didn’t forsee the emergence of Matthews and Gordon takes his minutes as well. Sometimes these things happen. He is still a very serviceable player as we saw him play when other players were injured. I remember in a couple games he literally changed the course of the game with great defense and timely plays. Rockets could use him as an asset (possibly with Wood) to trade him to a contender. He’s the least of my concern. To me the priority is what to do with Wood, KPJ, and Sengun. I would think this next year will be very important for those 2 as they will be closely evaluated. If things don’t pan put I can see one or both players on the move before the deadline along with Wood who is as good as gone to me.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Happy for him, but he is not good enough to be on a winning team, he is a plus defender, but on offense he is a "Me first" player.

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

The roster spot angle is a great point, I hadn't consider that before. Regarding EG non-trade though, I don't think lack of roster spot is what caused it. I know that's not what you're saying, in fact, like you said, Stone might've overplayed his hand. I still think he's got a chance to trade him next year so not 100% awful. Hopefully EG plays as well as he did last year, especially 3pt%-wise

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Patrick loves his guards....can't get enough of them.

Recreational league coordinator extraordinaire.
    This is why I think we drafting Ivey.

Explains Anthony Lamb as well. Got mad skills as a guard as well. Pewhh

Don't forget this guy...

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I consider Nwaba a walking, talking $5m TPE .....

#127 Corrosion, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022