1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] FDA is ‘working around the clock’ to address baby formula shortage, Psaki says

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 9, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

White House struggles for answers on infant formula shortage

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/politics/biden-infant-formula-meeting/index.html

excerpt:

The White House is struggling to answer questions about a baby formula shortage in the United States as the scope of the crisis becomes clearer and store shelves remain bare.

After announcing a series of limited steps the Biden administration is taking to address the shortage, White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Thursday could not clearly answer queries from CNN's MJ Lee about the federal government's guidance for concerned parents who cannot find formula to feed their children.

Asked what a parent who doesn't have access to formula or breast milk should do -- whether there is a hotline they can call or if they should head to the hospital, for example -- Psaki said: "I would say those are important public health questions. But ... what I can convey to all of you is what we're doing to address exactly that concern, which is taking every step we can to ensure there is supply on store shelves and we have increased the supply over the last four weeks."

When pressed which government agency such questions would be better directed at and what a parent should do if they can't find formula, Psaki, without naming an agency, said: "We certainly encourage any parent who has concerns about their child's health or well-being to call their doctor or pediatrician."

Both House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday expressed urgency about addressing the situation.

Pelosi said the issue needs to be addressed by Congress "right now."

"Right now the baby's crying, the baby's hungry -- we need to address it right now," said Pelosi. "And I think we have good focus on it. And we'll see what the President has to say. And we have our proposals as well."

Pelosi said that House Appropriations Chair Rosa DeLauro is taking the lead on the issue in the House.

McConnell issued a statement blasting the administration for its handling of the formula shortage, saying, "This problem has been developing in slow motion for several months now, but the Biden administration has been characteristically sluggish and halting in response."

"The FDA knew about the initial recall. The administration should have foreseen these supply shortages," McConnell continued. "But the Biden administration has been too slow and passive about getting production back up and running. Both Republican and Democratic senators have demanded answers from the administration and gotten none."
    more at the link

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Know how to address the shortage? Encourage these lazy-ass mammas to bust their t*tties out.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Under Pressure to Act, White House Says It’ll Address Formula Shortage
    Senior officials announced minor steps the administration would take to try to increase the supply of formula, even as they conceded that Americans might not see quick relief.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/12/us/politics/white-house-baby-formula.html

excerpt:

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration said on Thursday that it was working to address a worsening nationwide shortage of infant formula, announcing efforts to speed manufacturing and increase imports as pressure mounted to respond to a crisis that has desperate parents scouring empty store aisles to feed their children.

Officials outlined the plan after President Biden met with retailers and manufacturers, including Walmart, Target, Reckitt and Gerber, about their efforts to increase production. They also discussed steps the federal government could take to help stock bare shelves, particularly in rural areas, according to senior administration officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to detail the conversation.

After the meeting, the White House announced a series of modest moves to increase supply, including pushing states to waive packaging regulations to allow manufacturers to get formula on store shelves more quickly. The administration is also instructing the Federal Trade Commission and state officials to crack down on price gouging and calling on companies to institute buying limits, the officials said.

And they said that in the coming days, the Food and Drug Administration would announce that the United States would begin importing more formula. They listed Mexico, Chile, Ireland and the Netherlands as the key sources of such imports.
    more at the link

4. Xopher

Xopher Member

He should have let them continue Keystone XL and converted it to transport baby formula. Problem solved.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Sams club has been out of Lance Toastchee Cheddar Cheese crackers for more than a year. Can’t find them at the grocery stores either. I BLAME BIDEN. He should have seen this shortage coming and done something.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t understand how sams club exists when you have costcos.

Astrodome likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's some real Fatty Fat Roscoe Arbuckle-level problems right there

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My baby needs two mommies then because she's putting away 5oz a feed at 2 months old. If I could grow t*tties I would since the formula we use to supplement is like $30 a week

Astrodome likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Go into any drug or grocery store in America and chances are these 3 things are under lock and key:

• Baby formula
    • Condoms
    • Plan B

Our government should be funding and dropping this **** out of airplanes 24/7. There is zero negative outcome to fed babies and proper family planning.

Nook, BigM and Space Ghost like this.
  10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The only real short term solution is to legalize the import of baby formula. The longer term solution is to initiate anti-trust proceedings and break up Abbot and Mead Johnson's baby formula units. You can't just fund your way out of this. We've created a system where there are only two main companies that create formula in the US and one of them is having significant issues with their production.

Abbot and Mead Johnson have basically created an oligopoly and have lobbied the government to basically prevent any other entrants. Both companies sign exclusive deals with hospitals to distribute formula because parents generally keep the brand that they got from the hospital and as a result, other companies can't enter the market. There's a third company that makes formula that is whitelabeled by Costco, Target, Walmart, etc.. But that's all you get in the US. And its not like baby formula is an incredibly complex field to enter. It's so heavily regulated that all companies follow a pretty uniform formula.

But lobbying has meant that we simply don't have a distributed number of companies that produce formula (so if one goes down, it has minimal impact on the formula supply). Instead, the largest company goes off line and destroys the market.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Supply catches up with demand. More demand for milk, more supply will be created. Meaning bigger TIT-TAYS

I'm serious about the lazy-ass mothers out there. I knew several who 'just didn't want to breast feed', including my lazy-ass sister, so they bought formula...which they constantly b****ed about, because they were lazy drama queens to begin with.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My post was not meant as a solution to the current situation, but rather a generalized rant adjacent to the problem. I want my gubbermint dropping family planning and early childhood resources out of airplanes goddamit.

Nook likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you want a family planning solution, look at Colorado's free IUD program for teens and their law that allows pharmacists to write birth control prescriptions (so anyone can just walk up to a pharmacist and get birth control without first having to see a doctor). I think the teen birth rate there alone is down 60-70% over a 10 year period.

Nook, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We need someone to implement operation warp baby formula 1 speed.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the Wall Street Journal reported on the baby formula shortage on January 12:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baby-f...s-and-stores-are-divided-over-why-11641983401

Today May 13 the President said nobody could have foreseen this problem

moral of the story: President Biden needs to read the Wall Street Journal

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Trump were President, he’d seize all the formula under the defense production act, then dole it out expeditiously only to states who make him promises, and blame delays on other states for their own red tape.

and he’d promise a formula-locator website was being built as we speak…a wonderful website.

Nook, jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

At the White House press conference today, the Press Secretary mistakenly said that our formulas were tainted and killed two infants. The deaths of these infants are a tragedy.

The facts, however, are critical: A comprehensive investigation by Abbott, FDA and CDC found no evidence that our formulas caused infant illnesses. Specifically CDC concluded its investigation with no findings of a link between our formulas and infant illnesses. We conduct microbiological testing on products prior to distribution and no Abbott formula distributed to consumers tested positive for Cronobacter or Salmonella.

All retained product tested by Abbott and the FDA during the inspection of the facility came back negative for Cronobacter and/or Salmonella. No Salmonella was found at the Sturgis facility.

The Cronobacter sakazakii that was found in environmental testing during the investigation was in non-product contact areas of the facility and has not been linked to any known infant illness.

Genetic sequencing on the two available samples from ill infants did not match strains of Cronobacter in our plant. Samples from ill infants did not match each other, meaning there was no connection between the two cases.

In all four cases, the state, FDA, and/or CDC tested samples of the Abbott formula that was used by the child. In all four cases, all unopened containers tested negative.

Open containers from the homes of the infants were also tested in three of the four cases; two of the three tested negative. The one positive was from an open container from the home of the infant, and it tested positive for two different strains of Cronobacter sakazakii, one of which matched the strain that caused the infant’s infection, and the other matched a strain found on a bottle of distilled water in the home used to mix the formula. Again, neither strain matched strains found in our plant.

The infants consumed four different types of our formula made over the course of nearly a year and the illnesses took place over several months in three different states.

The formula from this plant did not cause these infant illnesses.

Astrodome likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, my 7 month old gets all of mama's milk plus a can of formula a week. The two mommies is not a bad idea though.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Biden makes baby food as much as Biden is preventing oil companies from spending $$ on more drilling.

Be partisan but try not being stupid. You can do both.

REEKO_HTOWN and deb4rockets like this.