1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Saying Duke has better players isnt a new advent. With that said Paolo came onto that campus and became the gravity that team needed. Coach K pushed for Paolo to be that type of player and everyone else deferred to him. Gonzaga played a more team friendly game. Their coach seemingly more averse to playing freshman than Coach K is (besides Chet obviously).

Chet was the #1 ranked RSCI high school player (highest ranked recruit in Gonzaga history). Paolo was 2. Gonzaga coach saw Chet every single day in practice and decided to use him in a support role on offense. Chet while having all the fire in the world to "play his role" never became a player with much gravity. He was rarely double teamed and enjoyed a ton of open looks. Chet crashed and burned from the 3 point line during the tourney. If he's in foul trouble and his 3 ball isnt dropping how will he impact games? He is an average at best passer and his screen setting is limited to his slight physique. Chet couldnt even be used as a decoy in this instance.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ready to start out the box and impact winning immediately.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Before I found my niche covering the draft, I used to spend my summers as a basketball skills trainer, with clients ranging from middle school stars to EuroLeague champions, Chinese Basketball Association MVPs and NBA role players.

So when I evaluate draft prospects, I see things with the eyes of a skills trainer and imagine the drills I would put players through if I were in charge of their training.

In this series, I’ll put on my trainer’s hat and feature draft prospects, focusing on areas I’d like to see them work on and improve this summer as they prepare for their NBA careers.

First up is the player I think should go No. 1 in the June 23 NBA draft.

It’s no secret that Duke freshman Paolo Banchero is my top prospect in this draft class. I believe he’s going to excel in the NBA as an inside-outside scoring threat and oversized pick-and-roll ball-handler.

Banchero is a gifted scorer who is so advanced for his age that I think people are underestimating his game because they believe his upside is limited and that he lacks the athleticism to be multipositional defender in the NBA. I’ll save the defense for another day, as this article will be centered on maximizing Banchero’s gifts on the offensive end.

While he’s a gifted passer for a 6’10”, 250-lb power forward, Banchero’s shooting hasn’t been consistent enough for him to realize the potential that’s evident from his smooth stroke and his stellar performance in big games, including Duke’s stirring NCAA tournament run. So the area I’d have Banchero focus on the most this summer is his shooting, from all ranges.

The goal is to maximize Banchero’s talents as a three-level scorer.

In this game plan, he would make a minimum of about 500 shots per day, ranging from soft-touch finishes around the rim to catch-and-shoot 3s.

Touch shots

Banchero was a matchup nightmare on the block in his freshman season, scoring efficiently in the post with a combination of power, finesse and advanced footwork.

But at times, he would drive hard right and make a strong spin move going left, but come back to his right hand. Improving his left hand would make him an even more dangerous finisher around the rim.

He struggles against length in tight spaces, so improving his soft-touch-finish package with both hands would be a priority.

Midrange jumpers

Banchero is a good midrange shooter with an effective pull-up game, so I’d have him work towards strengthening his favorite shot.

The midrange jumper isn’t the most analytics-friendly shot, so if Banchero prefers to shoot midrange jumpers off the dribble, he’ll need to be automatic from 15-17 feet.

I’d have him rotate between five spots on the floor — right and left short corners, both elbows and the free-throw line — making five shots in a row before advancing to the next shot.

Pull-up jumpers

One-dribble pull-ups

In these drills, Banchero would start with one-dribble pull-ups going to his left. When he made five in a row, he’d do the same thing going to his right.

Hesitation pull-ups (aka “The McGrady”)

We’d advance to working on Banchero’s hesitation pull-up, a shot popularized by Tracy McGrady, who’d freeze opponents with a hang dribble and use his size and length to elevate over smaller defenders anticipating a drive to the rim.

Bag pull-ups

After making five McGradys from each of five spots, Banchero would move on to developing his toolbox by freestyling his favorite off-the-dribble moves into pull-up jumpers.

Banchero is an impressive ball-handler with offensive creativity, so he’d have no problem coming up with a series of moves to get to his sweet spots on the floor. I call these bag pull-ups because they’re an opportunity to showcase Banchero’s deep bag of advanced ball-handling moves — if you’re looking for the best examples of this, think James Harden, Kyrie Irving and Luka Dončić isolation moves.

Jab-step jumpers

In this series it would be simple jab-step jumpers. The first set would be no-dribble left-foot jab-step jumpers from the five midrange spots on the floor, starting in the left short corner.

Then we’d go to the opposite foot. Most right-handed shooters prefer to jab with their left foot, so this drill could pose a challenge, as he’d have to make five no-dribble right-foot jab-step jumpers in a row to move on to the next series.

Next I’d have him complete a set of jab-step shots that add an escape dribble into pull-up jumpers.

Chris Paul pull-ups

After finishing the jab series, Banchero would work on midrange jumpers as the pick-and-roll ball-handler.

In the NBA, Banchero will, I believe, have more opportunities to play with the ball in his hands, so it’s important for him to be able to knock down pull-up jumpers as the pick-and-roll ball-handler when facing drop coverage. In this simple drill, he would shoot pull-ups coming off a ball screen going to his right, and then to his left. After that, we’d work on a series where he rejects the screen to take a midrange jumper.

Step-back jumpers

The final set of midrange jumpers would be step-back jumpers. If Banchero is a featured scorer, he’ll be in a lot of late-clock situations where he’ll be required to shoot and make tough shots off the dribble.

3-point shooting

Banchero shot 33.8% from deep this past season, and he often passed up open 3s for contested midrange shots. With more reps, he should become more confident in his deep range and reduce his reluctance to pull the trigger.

During the NCAA tournament Banchero showed what he can do, draining 10 of his 19 attempts from 3.

For these drills, I’d have him shoot a variety of 3s, including both catch-and-shoot jumpers (ranging from standstills, corner 3s, lifts and transition trailer 3s) and off-the-dribble pull-up 3s from above the break.

Last season he shot 40.2% on catch-and-shoot jumpers, so he’s a respectable off-ball shooter with a lot of promise, especially when you consider he played with the ball in his hands prior to his college season.

Developing into a more consistent off-the-catch shooter will open up opportunities for Banchero to attack closeouts and get downhill, where he can finish at the rim or create easy scoring looks for teammates, as he’s an impressive playmaker on the move.

In my opinion, Paolo Banchero is a 20-point scorer in the NBA and the best shotmaker in this class. He should be able to create the most offense of any of the top prospects, especially in difficult situations, and that’s the main reason I think he should go No. 1.

If he works on these skills, that will solidify his standing atop the 2022 draft class in my view.

jiggyfly, Shark44, Corrosion and 4 others like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Doing the Lords work @J.R. - appreciate ya!

J.R. and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

ESPN draft guru Jonathan Givony sees it, the ideal fit among those three for the Houston Rockets is Holmgren.

vator and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He should. Less developmental time on offense for sure. Defensively he will need to prove he can play in space. If he could slim down and play the 3 it would be a nightmare for opponents. Or keep him at the 4 with small ball 5 potential and find an ace defender to plug into Tates starting role. Paolo offers a fair amount of versatility compared to the other bigs at the top of the draft.

Denovo, D-rock and red5rocket like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nothing you said counters following facts.

*Duke has better coach, arguably best college coach ever.

*Duke has more talented starting 5 and deeper more talented bench.

*Duke has FOUR starters in first round of 2022 NBA draft.

*Duke maximized Banchero, Gonzaga did not with Holmgren.

Corrosion and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im confused. Banchero was a lesser recruit coming onto a loaded team with upperclassmen even with a coach who is hard to impress and the kid took over.

Chet was the highest ranking high school player in the country going to a team that had marginal players and a decent coach. He should have gone off script more and just been a hooper. Dont blame the coach. Chet had plenty of chances to assert himself in games when the team needed buckets throughout the season and he was fine just waiting for open shots. He doesnt hunt the ball and impose his will. He is perfectly fine being a beta player. Thats what you want with a top 3 pick?

Changing gears for a second - have you been doing much homework on Leonard MIller? He's a dark horse.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

We are going to agree to disagree on whether Chet is a beta or that Paolo was in the better situation under Coach K and more talented Duke team.

As for Miller, he is super raw but tantalizingly skilled 6'10 big.

Better defender and 3P shooter than Paolo imo.

Like Sharpe, so young and no real tape vs better competition.

But intriguing AF.

Love his fire and confidence.

“In this day and age, you’ve got to be able to switch,” Miller said. “You’ve got to be able to guard multiple positions because that’s what’s going to get you on the court. With a guy my length, I can guard a five. With a guy as quick as me, I can match up with a guard, too.”

#3829 D-rock, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

that mf got money

12. MystikArkitect

According to scouts, Chet has an aggressive demeanor and he's a competitor. Doing what his college coach thinks is best doesn't make him a beta player. We got on Green for that early in the season but that's what you want these players to do. Kobe didn't develop his mamba mentality until later. It's been widely said that Chet is the most assertive and aggressive personality in this lottery class.

Corrosion, Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Who is this?

*EDIT* : nvm... I guess it's Rafael Barlowe.

D-rock likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

From that Rafael Barlowe tweet

Verbal Christ, D-rock and Dr of Dunk like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Worth the watch!

vator likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the thing I keep HEARING about a player that I cant see on film. Chet has some heart in the paint. I give him that. I've watched every Gonzaga game this year already. There were a good number of times that the whole team would stall. If Chet is this transcendent player I would have hoped that he would notice and assert himself more. I keep hearing about his ability to dribble/drive/dish, but I can only find that in his high school tape. Hoopers dont ALWAYS stay within the confines of a script especially when things go South. In todays freedom of movement NBA these guys should find it easier to play to their strengths so its something that Im looking forward to watching more from a guy like Chet. I hope you're right when you say Chet has the "most assertive and aggressive personality in this lottery" because he will need that to be successful at the next level.

My favorite Kobe story is how he came in as a teenager for a Lakers workout and dismantled Michael Cooper in what some call "the best predraft workout ever." Kobe was always the Mamba.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...out-has-become-stuff-of-lakers-and-nba-legend

jiggyfly and red5rocket like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Before it spreads can we put to bed the "Banchero may not be 6'10" narrative?

jiggyfly, red5rocket, vator and 3 others like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Chets out there DOING SOMETHING!! Lets goooooo!!

groovemachine likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Outside of the petty bickering from the usual suspects, this thread is educational for those of us without the time to dig this stuff up on our own. So, thanks. There's really no need to tear down one prospect to bolster your own case. All of these kids have pros & cons.

While I still harbor reservations about Chet's anatomical ability to physically survive the pounding that will be directed his way, y'all have convinced me he would be great for the team. I still worry he is one scrum pile-up away from a disastrous leg/knee injury ala Ralph, but seems worth that risk. I've known a lot of tough skinny dudes with attitude that got their ass beat on the regular.

I would be happy with either Jabari or Paolo as well, with less concern for their ability to withstand the physicality.